An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lockport OP NUNS

John Paul

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Thanks Sister for responding.  Not meaning to derail this, but how would an aggregated community look or function differently from a OP community?

​Not sure what you mean by an OP community. Do you mean Order of Preachers?

The Friars and Nuns (cloistered) are the Order of Preachers. The sisters are either affiliated or aggregated. There is a canonical difference but I can't tell you right now. When a community is aggregated they are officially considered as DOMINICANS and the Order takes a certain solicitude for them although it is not responsible for them as for the nuns and friars (and laity but that is another thing.) This means that the community has the spirit, mission, customs, and government of the Order. In other words the Order recognizes them as living Dominican life.

veritasluxmea

​Not sure what you mean by an OP community. Do you mean Order of Preachers?

The Friars and Nuns (cloistered) are the Order of Preachers. The sisters are either affiliated or aggregated. There is a canonical difference but I can't tell you right now. When a community is aggregated they are officially considered as DOMINICANS and the Order takes a certain solicitude for them although it is not responsible for them as for the nuns and friars (and laity but that is another thing.) This means that the community has the spirit, mission, customs, and government of the Order. In other words the Order recognizes them as living Dominican life.

​Are there any communities of active sisters who are aggregated or must they be cloistered? 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The sisters are aggregated or affiliated. I think nearly all are aggregated. I'm not sure if Ann Arbor is yet. I've lost track. I know they are recognized as Dominicans!

There are very few cloistered Dominicans who are not moniales. At one time there were many 3rd Order Cloisters (we were originally) but how they were related to the Order before 1917 is rather murky. 3rd order Dominicans make a promise of obedience to the Master so they are part of the Order but as laity.

You can't always look at old Orders in the same way as you can newer ones founded in more recent times. It's not always a good comparison.

Ann Arbor, from what I understand, is not yet aggregated. I'm not sure what the issues are, but they are not. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Usually a community has to be established canonically for awhile before it is aggregated. Ann Arbor was just made an institute of diocesan rite so probably it won't be too long before they are.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I am so confused!  All I know is if I see white I assume they are an OP...

​Well, most of the time you are correct but today with so many new communities starting you can't assume that just because a community says it is Dominican/Carmelite,etc. they are.

AveMariaPurissima

I got Ann Arbor's most recent newsletter in the mail a few days ago, and the front page has an article about how they were just granted "full aggregation into the Dominican Order" this past December 27th. :)  

truthfinder

​Well, most of the time you are correct but today with so many new communities starting you can't assume that just because a community says it is Dominican/Carmelite,etc. they are.

​This is very true.  A community of sisters I know wears a white formal habit on Sundays and feast days, and a simpler grey habit during the week - they are Franciscan. 

I apologize for my previous blanket statement post.  I meant it tongue in cheek and didn't even add any emotes to help convey that.