An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Little Boy" opening today!

dUSt

It looks cute enough to be a nice feel good flick. Yet st also seems that it will have the slight Cheesy undertone most Catholic media seems to never shake.

Ash Wednesday

It does look a little cheesy -- interesting that the critics on rotten tomatoes hated it but voting audiences loved it.  I suppose at first watch of the trailer I did have some of the same reservations about what it was trying to say about the power of faith. That said -- in fairness I'd need to see the whole storyline and movie to draw a conclusion.

wow. So the actual point of the movie is that faith is NOT magic. In the child's mind they are the same, and the story of the movie is how the parish priest teaches him they are different. 

The movie does not play as well as the director's earlier attempt, "Bella," which itself was held back by pacing issues. It's frustrating, because there are many quality elements, and solid performances. It's an okay movie just on the cusp of being truly good. It feels like a missed opportunity. 

But yeah. way to  get exactly the wrong point.

How many of you knuckle heads thought American Sniper was pro-war and Zero Dark Thirty was pro-torture? 

​Seeing this trailer was the first time I heard or saw anything about this movie. There's exactly one appearance of the priest, and there's no indication of a difference between him believing he can move the bottle with is mind (magic) and faith. Go ahead, watch the trailer again and tell me that I completely misunderstood it. First the magician, then his talk with the priest (pay attention to the dialogue), and then the earthquake. Tell me again exactly at what point I misunderstood the trailer. 

If the point of the movie is that faith isn't magic, that trailer completely misrepresents the movie. So I'll stand by what I said, with the caveat that it's based only on that trailer. 

​Seeing this trailer was the first time I heard or saw anything about this movie. There's exactly one appearance of the priest, and there's no indication of a difference between him believing he can move the bottle with is mind (magic) and faith. Go ahead, watch the trailer again and tell me that I completely misunderstood it. First the magician, then his talk with the priest (pay attention to the dialogue), and then the earthquake. Tell me again exactly at what point I misunderstood the trailer. 

If the point of the movie is that faith isn't magic, that trailer completely misrepresents the movie. So I'll stand by what I said, with the caveat that it's based only on that trailer. 

​Sorry, that was uncalled for. This is why you should sleep kids! 

• 2 weeks later...
PhuturePriest

​Sorry, that was uncalled for. This is why you should sleep kids! 

​I sentence thee to do the squat of shame.

​I sentence thee to do the squat of shame.

​Well, I was on the second leg of back to back all nighters at this point. So squat of shame on you!

PhuturePriest

​Well, I was on the second leg of back to back all nighters at this point. So squat of shame on you!

​All-nighters? Science has proven studying all night doesn't help you. It's your fault for not knowing science. Squat in shame!

​All-nighters? Science has proven studying all night doesn't help you. It's your fault for not knowing science. Squat in shame!

​No but writing papers works just fine.