An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summit Dominicans Threatened by Legislation

Gabriela

This just came to my email from Sr. Mary Catharine. Please help by contacting your legislator!

Dear Sisters, and Family and Friends,

Please see below. Several years ago Debbie May successfully got them not to introduce this bill but now one has been to the Senate. If it passes we’ll be out of business in the soap department. Many other small cottage industries will be as well. This is really a huge control thing! All I have seen online is that people in this industry nearly go overboard to make their products safe and often as natural as possible. It’s one reason they probably started their business. Most don’t have a business like us but make their income at fairs, etc. working in their kitchens.
Please fill this form out and contact our legislatures!

THANKS!
Sr. Mary Catharine 
Dominican Monastery of our Lady of the Rosary

543 Springfield Ave.

Summit, NJ 07901-4498

Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 6:23 PM
Subject: Your Help Needed - New Federal Cosmetic Legislation Introduced

NEW COSMETIC LEGISLATION INTRODUCED TO SENATE

ACTION REQUESTED

Write Your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative Today!

This week a cosmetic bill was introduced in the United States Senate that will hurt small handmade cosmetic companies by requiring small businesses to register, pay annual fees and file ingredient reports with the FDA for every product made.

The legislation, the Personal Care Products Safety Act (S. 1014), was introduced by Senator Diane Feinstein (California) and co-sponsored by Senator Susan Collins (Maine). The bill is now with the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Pensions and Labor (aka: HELP Committee).

The HCA leadership is working with Members of the HELP Committee and other Senators to protect the handmade cosmetic industry so that small businesses across the country can continue to thrive.
But the HCA needs your help.

Your Senators and U.S. Representative need to hear from you. They must know how important making handmade cosmetic products are to you, your family, customers and those you may employ. They are your elected federal officials and it is important for each one to know how this legislation will you and your business.

HCA will continue to work on this issue in Washington making sure that Members of Congress know that the handmade industry supports cosmetic safety, but it is vital that any legislation include adequate exemptions to allow small and emerging to bring quality products to the market, support local economies and create main-street jobs.

CLICK HERE:  Write your elected official using our easy to access tool 

Thank you.

Debbie May
Executive Director
Handmade Cosmetic Alliance

www.HandmadeCosmeticAlliance.org

Edited by Gabriela

TheresaThoma

I will be contacting my representative. I love buying handmade soaps. I don't think I have bought any commercial body soap in over a year now because I find such wonderful soaps at festivals and small Catholic shops. They are natural and I know my money is going to a good cause.