An Old School Catholic Message Board

2014 final vows in communities in the CMSWR

Yaatee

NadaTeTurbe

That's a lot of dominicans ! 

But I only count 36. Did you count the formator in the Dominicans of Mary picture ? 

TheresaThoma

(by the way in that newletter you can see HopefulBride (a former PMer) She is the farthest to the left of the three sisters on the paddle board.)

That's a lot of dominicans ! 

But I only count 36. Did you count the formator in the Dominicans of Mary picture ? 

​I don't think that I did. The names were listed--eight, and there are eight sisters in front.  There was another group of four and I assumed that the younger two were "new" as the others were provincials. I could have counted wrong.

The latest CARA report says that there are only six communities actually growing, but I think that must be wrong. One xplanation is that they are counting only those of pontifical rite (right?). 

(by the way in that newletter you can see HopefulBride (a former PMer) She is the farthest to the left of the three sisters on the paddle board.)

​...is that picture for real, or photoshopped?  I would hate to get all of those elaborate habits in the drink!

Scroll further down - there are individual & group photos. Read the captions to weed out the superiors & formators.

I count 45 women who made final vows.

NadaTeTurbe

I missed a page, that's what I had 36 sisters ! There is 45, yes. 

Do we know the number of final vows in all the religious communities, this year ? (CMSWR + LCWR + maybe community who are not in those two)

TheresaThoma

​...is that picture for real, or photoshopped?  I would hate to get all of those elaborate habits in the drink!

​That picture is for real! The Sister holding the paddle is Mother Kathryn and the Sister in the middle is Sr Mary Joanna (the VD). All lovely adventurous sisters!

I believe it was taken at a summer family camp. There are pictures of the Sisters horseback riding, rock climbing and other various activities over the years at the camp

I missed a page, that's what I had 36 sisters ! There is 45, yes. 

Do we know the number of final vows in all the religious communities, this year ? (CMSWR + LCWR + maybe community who are not in those two)

​Well, as I posted earlier, I read somewhere (?CARA?) that there were 100 final professions last year. But I don't know the source or whether that figure includes cloistered or not. Or whether that figure contains all communities, pontifical, diocesan, or those simply old enough to have someone, such as the foundress, taking final vows.  And it would be interesting if someone could compute what the final number is, assuming this figure and only this figure professes over time.  Of course, some years it may be more and some less. And assume a profession rate at approximately age 35 and a death rate approximately at age 80 or 85. 

I talked years ago to one member of a formerly large congregation who said that they used to have forty professions a year!

NadaTeTurbe

It would be interesting. I searched for the same in france, but I found nothing. It would be interesting also to see how many of this sisters are american (or british, or french, etc...), or come from another country. 

40 profession a year... What a dream ! There is a community of priest in France, if all the young men that entered this year and the last 5 years, persevere, I think they can have something like 20 priest by year, easily. It's the community Saint Martin.