An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart

Yaatee

...have four final professions in that list of the 45 in the CMSWR list.

They are a small community of 30-40 members (est.) who wear a very attractive -ahem!- uniform of white with a prominent pin fastened to the upper left part of the chest. The hair is cut short in an attractive current style.  No veil.

http://sacredheartsisters.com/home.html

Edited by Yaatee
add URL

truthfinder

Haven't had a chance to read through it, but just looking at the numerous pictures, the sisters were founded without a habit behind the Iron Curtain and it wasn't until several years after being in North America that they developed the simple white suit and pin. Neato!

Sister Marie

If you look at this link, the sisters describe their garb as a religious habit.  http://sacredheartsisters.com/religioushabit.html

They look lovely - simple, poor, and becoming.  A habit is defined not by popular or traditional look but by the constitutions of the community as approved by the church.  Remember that religious garb was very similar to the clothing of the day when many habits came into being.  Then as modern fashions changed, the habits remained.  A white suit seems like a very modest and simple way to witness to Christ.  I'm glad these sisters are receiving some attention here!  

Of course their uniform is a habit.  It's just that it is simple, modern, becoming and has no veil .  (Says this from someone who can't tolerate having anything on her head!) Also, I would think, relatively low maintenance.

truthfinder

Of course their uniform is a habit.  It's just that it is simple, modern, becoming and has no veil .  (Says this from someone who can't tolerate having anything on her head!) Also, I would think, relatively low maintenance.

​Except it's worse than Dominican white! I'd have it plastered with tomato sauce and who know what else in no time. 

Sister Marie

I'm sorry.  You called it a uniform in your first post so I wanted to clarify since uniform isn't really an accurate term for religious garb.  

Wearing a habit of any sort is not a charism. I believe they were founded to serve, largely outside of schools, and to promote devotion to the Sacred Heart.

NadaTeTurbe

I know, it was ironic, because the first thing that was said about them was their habit. 

So I read their website 
a) The sisters seems young ! But I'm not very good at guessing age... 
b) They are missionary, and they are into religious teaching. This come from "our history" page : The religious education charism,  given by God to the community through Sister Ida, is treasured by the Sisters and the spirit, in which they express it, is well described by the title of their newsletter, the  “JOYFUL APOSTOLATE”, which Sister Ida began in 1950.  Beginning in the seventies, Sister Ida launched annual Girls’ Camps, Leadership Retreats for young adults, as well as sacramental retreats for children and teens in their Heart of Jesus Retreat Center.  Seeing the spiritual quest of families, she developed a unique Family Retreat Camp program offered in the community’s Sacred Heart Retreat Camp in Southern California, also in Hungary and Taiwan, along with Children’s Camps during the summer. 
c) They are in the US, Asia, and Hungary. In Asia, a sister have the mission to promote Natural Family Planning
d) They have a strong prayer life, with marian devotion, adoration, etc... 
e) To enter you need to have at least 17 yo, and to have "generosity of heart, zealous love to serve, good common sense, and a sufficient degree of spiritual and emotionnal maturity". 

Here you have vocation stories from the sisters : 
http://sacredheartsisters.com/vocation-stories.html I was moved from this in sister Rose testimony : 

When I turned 16 a big struggle began in my heart and I no longer accepted my vocation with peaceful submission. I wanted to be normal and it didn't seem like 'normal' people became Sisters. My love for God was strong but my desire to do His will in this area was not. My vision of what life would be like after I entered was a life of suffering. Little did I know what joy God had in store for me.

They look like a good community. I hope God give them a lot of vocation. 

I lived up the street from them in Reno when I was in junior high school and took catechism from them.  Such wonderful, vibrant, joy-filled, young women.  I even thought about joining them for a time.  I've thought about them so often in the many years since then.   I'm very glad that they continue to do their good work.