An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clares with Traditional Latin Mass

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I'm sorry if I already asked this before but I can't remember!

I really like the spirituality of the Poor Clares. Are there any with the Latin Mass?? Thank you! :)

truthfinder

It's going to pretty rare.  The Fransicans of the Immaculate did in some of their convents before the crackdown (for lack of a better word).  

The Religieuses Victimes du Sacre Coeur might be Franciscan based on their habit.

There might be a couple other very small (private association) - I know there was just one on here lately about a new foundation in the US (you should be able to find it), but there are so incredibly few.  There are a few more, but they're mostly SSPX. 

beatitude

MLF, as many people have written on Vocation Station before, it isn't helpful to approach discernment by making a shopping list of everything you want in a community. This can actually be a form of putting it off - I've seen a lot of people asking questions like "Anyone know any Benedictines with Latin Mass with an active apostolate?" followed by "Do Carmelites do Adoration?" and they never seem to take the next step, i.e. contacting and visiting a community. They spend ages sifting through the Internet in search of the 'perfect' one. Right now you seem to be taking a similar scatter-gun approach, going from questions about Eastern Catholic monasteries to the Benedictines of Mary to the Poor Clares. The only perfect community is the one that will bring you towards perfection, and that community may not have everything you want in it. It is not always good for us to get what we want, partly because God knows better, partly because our ideas and needs will change over time, and partly because none of us can really know what monastic life is like until we live it.

Are you in touch with any communities? I think it might be easier if you wrote to some close to you and went on a few visits, maybe made a retreat, even if from their website it doesn't seem like they're ideal for you.

Julie de Sales

MLF, as many people have written on Vocation Station before, it isn't helpful to approach discernment by making a shopping list of everything you want in a community. This can actually be a form of putting it off - I've seen a lot of people asking questions like "Anyone know any Benedictines with Latin Mass with an active apostolate?" followed by "Do Carmelites do Adoration?" and they never seem to take the next step, i.e. contacting and visiting a community. They spend ages sifting through the Internet in search of the 'perfect' one. Right now you seem to be taking a similar scatter-gun approach, going from questions about Eastern Catholic monasteries to the Benedictines of Mary to the Poor Clares. The only perfect community is the one that will bring you towards perfection, and that community may not have everything you want in it. It is not always good for us to get what we want, partly because God knows better, partly because our ideas and needs will change over time, and partly because none of us can really know what monastic life is like until we live it.

Are you in touch with any communities? I think it might be easier if you wrote to some close to you and went on a few visits, maybe made a retreat, even if from their website it doesn't seem like they're ideal for you.

​While I agree that it's not helpful to expect that a religious community will meet all your expectations, I think people feel drawn to different spiritualities and practices and that it's okay to limit your search by this criteria. Also, for example, if someone feels the call to be a Carmelite sister and they also love the Traditional Latin Mass, I don't see why they wouldn't search for a community that has both. I know that Internet may get in the way of authentic discernment, but it's still a wonderful means to get to know new communities. And it might take a while until you find the right one...

Edited by Julie de Sales

John Paul

I doubt there are many because St.Francis wanted to use the roman breviary so their would be no franciscan rites.

The Religieuses Victimes du Sacre Coeur might be Franciscan based on their habit.

​They are pretty scary and very penitential. Their charism is penance and reparation. to unite with the Divine Saviour in his victimhood and to imitate it in religion and charity. Apparantly in the area before you go in, there are signs up saying things like "fashions will appear that are displeasing to our Lord" and all kinds of stuff about the need for penance and mortification.
http://soeurs-de-cloture.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/les-religieuses-victimes-du-sacre-coeur.html
http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/religious-victims-of-sacred-heart-of.html
http://tradvocations.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/religieuses-victimes-du-sacr-coeur.html

Out of interest what is it you like about the Frnciscans? there are a few trad womens orders with charisms that are not the standard Franciscan/Dominican/Carmelite categories. For example, one order takes a vow of vocationist - to pray for vocations

Edited by oremus1

truthfinder

​They are pretty scary and very penitential.

​There have been other members say that in some regards they aren't that penitential.  So, I'd leave it to whoever was interested to contact or not. 

​There have been other members say that in some regards they aren't that penitential.  So, I'd leave it to whoever was interested to contact or not.

​I didn't say NOT to contact them, in fact, one mof the links I posted actually has their contact details on there.

NadaTeTurbe

A friend entered the Religieuse victime du Sacré Coeur. 

They have the EF and are NOT franciscan. They are into the Sacred Heart. 

They have "old" penitence, like whipping with a discipline, I heard the bedrooms are very cold, they have the "coulpe" (google translate say it's "guilt" in english ? An old custom of public confession in the community), etc... and above all, a very severe cloture. There is no occasion of private speaking : letters are read, and a sister listen to the conversation in the parlour. They never get out, and if they have to, they put their black veil in their face, like with a niqab. 

You can only go on retreat with them if you REALLY want to enter, and you have to do discernement with the mother before. It's a hard life, and because some people are dragged to them because of appearance (habit, penance), the discernement is severe to avoid terrible errors and sisters leaving. 

But they also have a long time of recreation by day (i think it's twice by day), if they are sick, they can adapt the rule (like no kneeling during adoration, etc...). 

John Paul

They have "old" penitence, like whipping with a discipline, I heard the bedrooms are very cold, they have the "coulpe" (google translate say it's "guilt" in english ? An old custom of public confession in the community), etc... and above all, a very severe cloture. There is no occasion of private speaking : letters are read, and a sister listen to the conversation in the parlour. They never get out, and if they have to, they put their black veil in their face, like with a niqab. 

You can only go on retreat with them if you REALLY want to enter, and you have to do discernement with the mother before. It's a hard life, and because some people are dragged to them because of appearance (habit, penance), the discernement is severe to avoid terrible errors and sisters leaving. 

But they also have a long time of recreation by day (i think it's twice by day), if they are sick, they can adapt the rule (like no kneeling during adoration, etc...). 

​Do you know the Daily Schedule and how devoted they are to the Sacred Heart?

NadaTeTurbe

I don't know the daily schedule. They have Divine Office, perpetual adoration, EF mass, and I don't know for other devotions. 

They are very devoted to the Sacred Heart. They do perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in a spirit of reparation for the offence commited against the Sacred Heart, specially by freemasons. They are also very devoted to the Passion of the Christ. 

​-  Chapter of Faults

- Enclosure

:french:

:blowkiss:

MarysLittleFlower

Thank you for the replies...

Beatitude, I see what you are saying but my "list" isn't very detailed :) I mean all I really want is a more traditional order, hopefully with the EF. I'm leaving the specific type of order to God. But I was thinking last night of "what am I attracted to anyways?" in an order... and I realized certain communities match my spirituality more than others. Poor Clares are one example. In the end, if God wants me to be in a more 'active' community that's fine. But in order to discern, I'm looking at what I'm drawn to first - cause I can't visit everyone. I'm planning on visiting a community near by as well but there's really not many where I live. I'm also talking about this to my SD.

I guess what I'm hoping to discern first are orders that match my spirituality... more traditional, EF, with the Eucharist being important (I like how Poor Clares have Adoration etc). I really like the order that focuses on reparation and consoling Jesus in the Eucharist that was mentioned here - I don't know if I'd be strong enough for all the penance - but I love their charism and it's something I'm really drawn to in general. I don't speak French though.. Anyways I don't think that's too specific because I don't have many more things on the list? (just that it would be God's Will and possible for me to enter there obviously and that everything would work out..). But with these things too, I'm trying to leave them up to God's Will.  I just need to start where I'm drawn to most :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower