An Old School Catholic Message Board

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Not A Mallard

Not A Mallard

I saw Age of Ultron tonight. Here are my thoughts:

"Bloated with superpowered mayhem, characters, and coolness, Avengers: Age of Ultron isn't quite the instant classic as its rollicking predecessor. Man-made robots that turn against their creators are nothing new for Hollywood, but none in recent memory are anti-Christian like James Spader's Ultron, who often references the Bible to justify his plan for human extinction. On the other hand, pro-life themes are more prominent here than in any other Marvel movie as the Avengers use their abilities to make sure that every single human life is spared amid the chaos. Although spectacle reigns supreme, director Joss Whedon develops each character just enough to let me care. For the most part, the film doesn't take itself overly seriously, so scenes that try to add more depth feel out-of-place. Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye even acknowledges that nothing that's happening actually makes sense. Though crammed, uneven, and quite dark at times, Age of Ultron is still fun, and leaves me wanting to see what happens next in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it also leaves me wanting to see the bar to be lowered."

Any other Marvel fans? Did you see it? What did you think?

NadaTeTurbe

It was a little like Iron Man 2. When I saw it, it was cool to see Iron Man again, but the scenario did not make sense. It's the same here. 
The scenario doesn't make sense. But I was happy to see all the avengers (except Thor - I do'nt like him). It is cool to watch, but not like the first. 
But I have not really good taste in movies, so I liked it. But for this year, in the MCU, I prefer Marvel Agent Carter. I think the last good Marvel I saw was Captain America 2, so for the moment, I'm waiting Captain America : Civil War. 

Not A Mallard

...I was happy to see all the avengers (except Thor - I do'nt like him).

​I found that Thor was treated as little more than comic relief.

ENDING SPOILERS:

I like what they did with Captain America at the end, and his new team is comprised of my favorite characters (expect Rodey; I don't care for him as much).

Edited by Not A Mallard

Not A Mallard

It appears that most views for my review are coming from people who are searching for whether Age of Ultron is anti-Christian/Catholic. Joss Whedon has an atheistic worldview, so he could be trying to say something anti-Christian by making the bad guy a Bible-quoting, self-proclaimed "savior," though I've seen one person interpret Ultron's religious stance as a way to make himself seem more important to the human race. As mindless as this movie is, it's kind of amazing that it can feature something so polarizing.

NadaTeTurbe

Ultron is more a metaphor of facism : bad quoting of the Bible like Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco, self-proclaimed savior like Hitler and Lénine, etc... I don't know if it is pro-christian/catholic, but the Avengers defends the human life & freedom, like a good christian should do. While they are sinner (Iron man...), they try to do their best and to respect judo-christian values. But you don't see Avengers to see a Catholic metaphor :smile3:

Not A Mallard

Ultron is more a metaphor of facism : bad quoting of the Bible like Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco, self-proclaimed savior like Hitler and Lénine, etc... I don't know if it is pro-christian/catholic, but the Avengers defends the human life & freedom, like a good christian should do. While they are sinner (Iron man...), they try to do their best and to respect judo-christian values. But you don't see Avengers to see a Catholic metaphor :smile3:

​I'd buy this more if he had actually tried to win over the human race before trying to destroy it, unless a subplot like that was cut from the original three-hour runtime.

NadaTeTurbe

Destroying the "bad" humans, to have a "new civilization", it's the philosophy of facism, no ? And even if Ultron is not a metaphor of facism, you can hardly call him a anti-christian villain. 

veritasluxmea

I SAW THE MOVIE AND I LOVE IT. No it's not anti-Catholic. *rolls eyes*

Only things I'm sad about:

1) Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (The Twins)- why did they erase the holocaust out of their history? They're Jewish and Magneto is their father, and it was a very important part of their characters. Should have been included in the movieverse. Sad. I think they should try to have as much consistency between the comincs and movies as possible, even with the copyrite issues. 

2) Speaking of copyrite issues, I'm really sad Marvel is toning down the x-men. That is not ok. I absolutely love the x-men, even more than the Avengers. Marvel needs to bring them back and make the a huge thing again. More comics, bigger place in the marvelverse, more movies, more x-men everything. 

3) More bromance and friendship! More of the relationships they have in the comics! Especially between the teams! 

4) Nat and Bruce came outta left field. I love what they did with that and where Barton is now... but since I was shipping Clint and Nat hard I'm a little sad. 

I love, love, LOVE the buildup with the Infinity Stones and Thanos. In all the movies. I'm going to cry when that movie finally comes out. Can't wait for the civil war either, I'm going to cry when Tony and Steve break up. AVENGERS NEED TO STICK TOGETHER. I'm SO SO SO excited for the future... Captain Marvel! Inhumans! Thor 3! Doctor Strange! Fantastic Four! 

Not A Mallard

I SAW THE MOVIE AND I LOVE IT. No it's not anti-Catholic. *rolls eyes*

Only things I'm sad about:

1) Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (The Twins)- why did they erase the holocaust out of their history? They're Jewish and Magneto is their father, and it was a very important part of their characters. Should have been included in the movieverse. Sad. I think they should try to have as much consistency between the comincs and movies as possible, even with the copyrite issues. 

2) Speaking of copyrite issues, I'm really sad Marvel is toning down the x-men. That is not ok. I absolutely love the x-men, even more than the Avengers. Marvel needs to bring them back and make the a huge thing again. More comics, bigger place in the marvelverse, more movies, more x-men everything. 

3) More bromance and friendship! More of the relationships they have in the comics! Especially between the teams! 

4) Nat and Bruce came outta left field. I love what they did with that and where Barton is now... but since I was shipping Clint and Nat hard I'm a little sad. 

I love, love, LOVE the buildup with the Infinity Stones and Thanos. In all the movies. I'm going to cry when that movie finally comes out. Can't wait for the civil war either, I'm going to cry when Tony and Steve break up. AVENGERS NEED TO STICK TOGETHER. I'm SO SO SO excited for the future... Captain Marvel! Inhumans! Thor 3! Doctor Strange! Fantastic Four! 

​Marvel doesn't have the rights to X-Men; 20th Century Fox does, and it hasn't been willing to share. They made an exception with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver because they're both Avengers, but Marvel had to change their backstories so that they wouldn't be mutants.

veritasluxmea

​Marvel doesn't have the rights to X-Men; 20th Century Fox does, and it hasn't been willing to share. They made an exception with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver because they're both Avengers, but Marvel had to change their backstories so that they wouldn't be mutants.

​Trust me I know. And I'm still sad. 

Not The Philosopher

I'll watch this eventually, but right now I'm more excited about The Returners 2: Age of Ultros.

tinytherese

When is Thanos going to attack already?

And why haven't Black Widow and Hawkeye gotten their own origin story films yet? We know so little about them. (Joss Whedon could have stories in mind that are very different from the comics. Just look at what he did with Captain America.)

Edited by tinytherese

Winchester

Black Widow was a spy, and Hawkeye was a professional cosplayer.

Not really interesting.

Not A Mallard

When is Thanos going to attack already?

Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1 (2018) & 2 (2019)