An Old School Catholic Message Board

What to do/know about Québec and Canada ?

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

I'm going one month in Québec, this year, alone with a friend. Is there any canadian here ? We will stay in Québec : Montréal, Ottawa, and in the countryside. 

I have ton of questions :D 

So, first, do I need to speak english ? or just my good french ? 
Is there any thing, that I shall do or not to do ? I know that french tourist are arrogant and disrespectfull and I don't want to be. And my friend How are people here ? 
How is seen drinking ? Smoking ? 
Do I need to give a lot of tip like in the US and other country, or can I never tip, like in France, Spain, Italy... ? 
What are interesting place to see ? 
Where should I eat :D ? Have a drink ? 
Where can I go to mass ? 
Is there subject that you can't speak about ? Can I speak about De Gaulle ? I looooove him but with "vive le québec libre", I don't know if he is loved or not. Is it like in the US where you can/should speak about monney, or more like in France where it is seen as rude ? 

Thaaaaaaaaaaanks you all ! 

truthfinder

Just to clarify - are you going to Quebec City, or just Montreal? (That will change my answer a bit). I am Canadian, and have spent a little time in Montreal and Ottawa doing some touristy/Catholic stuff, in addition to the work I was doing. So I can answer some of your questions, but others will best be left to others.

French is vital in Quebec once you are away from the touristy areas,

the standard tip in north america is 15%

there are four basilicas in Montreal, two in Ottawa. all are worth visiting. Ste-anne-de-beaupre and Madeline du Cap are good places to visit as well

In Ottawa you should eat at The Fish Market. they have a very large selection of fresh fish you can choose from. For a drink go to the Highlander Pub or the Earl of Sussex pub.

in Ottawa go to Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica or St. Clement's

While in Quebec City, don't forget to visit the Ile de Orleans (across the St. Lawrence).  Four of the Catholic Churches--timelessly beautiful--date back to the French regime of the early 1700's!  And to satisfy your Epicurian spirit--stop at one of the roadside places to eat (with fresh bread baked in open stone ovens and bowls of fresh rasberries/fruit drenched in sweet farmer's cream...). 

A good online reference is http://www.quebecregion.com/en/quebec-city-and-area/ile-d-orleans.  Check out "Must see" in Quebec City & Area).

Safe travels!

NadaTeTurbe

No, I'm going to Montréal, Ottawa, and then the countryside of Québec (the... region ?), but not Québec City ! 

Cool for the french, because my english is terrible when I need to speak it ! 
I'm writing all the churches. 
Fish market, good ! 

Thank you all ! 

truthfinder

Montreal-French is a bit of an entirely different entity (it's got a different sort of pronunciation of the vowels with the syllables being a little differently emphasized as well).  When I'd speak, they'd often respond in English.  Ottawa tends to be entirely bilingual because of all the government workers.  In Ottawa, I'd suggest St. Patrick's Basilica, as well as the others mentioned.  Go see Parliament, there are tours. I haven't been, but there's also the Royal Mint. 

If you've got a little time to spare in Montreal, you can go to the church where St. Kateri Tekakwitha is, across the Honore Mercier bridge from Montreal in Kahnawake (beware, the bridge is usually under construction during the summer, so a cab ride could be expensive). 

Drinking is fine in restaurants or pubs, but not in 'public', drinking on the sidewalk or such is illegal.  Smoking is fine, but there are typically restrictions about smoking on patios or within 25 feet of any doorway.  In other words, in some places it's practically impossible to smoke.  

Quebec nationalism is a topic that changes from time to time: there is still a push for separation, but not like years ago.  Although there are very great debates about secularism (not wearing religious symbols).  In Montreal, if you want a Latin Mass, St. Irenee is the place.  Otherwise, you can find Masses pretty easily in French throughout Montreal. The diocese of Montreal's website is very helpful in that regard: http://diocesemontreal.org/en/home.html (scroll down to "places of worship" to find what you're looking for).

Personally, I wouldn't speak about money in regards to how much one makes; but otherwise it should be okay (unless people start looking uncomfortable). It's better to stay on the more cautious side though.

Ottawa and Quebec can get really humid (although a bit later in the summer), so make sure you have a water-bottle with you if you're going to be doing a lot of walking but I would also advise an umbrella or rain-jacket.  I managed to get quite drenched in rain storms during my visits.

Hope this helps; let us know what else you want to know. 

Nihil Obstat

While in Quebec City, don't forget to visit the Ile de Orleans (across the St. Lawrence). 

​​That is where my first Canadian ancestor settled. He was a French soldier. :)

How I would enjoy hearing the stories (the Battle of Quebec in 1759?) that have surely been passed down through the generations of your family, Nihil!  It's interesting, too, how your posts show leadership characteristics that are requisite to make a brave soldier--especially your preference of substance over superficiality (yet willingness to help sort through diverse opinions and views).

Perhaps if Totustuus knew about the wonderful Vignoble Ste-Petronille (with its view of the Montmorency Falls across the river--and fabulous wines), he'd be motivated to take a side trip to the Ile de Orleans! :french:

Old Quebec City is wonderful, but the island transports you to another (simpler) time & place!

Nihil Obstat

How I would enjoy hearing the stories (the Battle of Quebec in 1759?) that have surely been passed down through the generations of your family, Nihil!  It's interesting, too, how your posts show leadership characteristics that are requisite to make a brave soldier--especially your preference of substance over superficiality (yet willingness to help sort through diverse opinions and views).

Perhaps if Totustuus knew about the wonderful Vignoble Ste-Petronille (with its view of the Montmorency Falls across the river--and fabulous wines), he'd be motivated to take a side trip to the Ile de Orleans! :french:

Old Quebec City is wonderful, but the island transports you to another (simpler) time & place!

​That is very kind of you to say. :)

Unfortunately most of the 'family history' is lost. At least lost to me. There are enough branches that maybe someone knows more, but I would not know where to start with that. :P

There are family stories about a great grandfather who was a rum runner in Rainy River, Ontario.

​That is very kind of you to say. :)

Unfortunately most of the 'family history' is lost. At least lost to me. There are enough branches that maybe someone knows more, but I would not know where to start with that. :P

There are family stories about a great grandfather who was a rum runner in Rainy River, Ontario.

​As George Gordon Byron says, "There's naught, no doubt, so much the spirit calms as rum and true religion!"    

Ven. Matt Talbot pray for us!                                         

NadaTeTurbe

Thank you for all your usefull answer, truthfinder ! 

I just have some other questions again. 

Are the price writed with or without taxes ? 
is life cheap or expensive ? 
Generally, are the city, bus, etc... wheelchair-friendly ? I need a wheelchair for long-distance walking, but if it is not wheelchair-friendly at all, I can make an effort and walk. 
Do you know which national park (around Montréal and Ottawa) is the best to visit ? And to do camping ? 
Are the Musée Grévin and the Musée des Beaux arts de Montréal worth it ? 

Pia Jesus, Totus is a good name too, so I forgive you :D I will be in St Joseph oratory, promise ;) 

Ottawa has many low-floor busses and the main bus terminals are easily accessible by wheelchair. Prices are written without taxes

truthfinder

Just a heads up about St. Joseph - I can't remember the details, but you'll certainly want to inquire about accessibility.  It's a very steep climb to the oratory itself, I do believe there is a shuttle.  

The really touristy areas will be more expensive, especially for food.  Also, old Montreal is very beautiful, but the cobblestones are brutal - you would probably not be able to get a wheelchair over them.  I saw several bicyclists have to dismount for fear of getting their wheels stuck between the stones. In Montreal, I'd suggest getting an "opus" card for transit if you're going to be there for more than a couple days (you can load a three day pass, week pass, etc on to it) and it makes transit easy.  In Ottawa, you can get a Presto card, but I preferred getting individual tickets (partially because if i recall correctly, there were only a couple stations where you could actually get a Presto card; tickets and other passes can be bought in many different corner stores). BTW, Opus cards work on a couple different communities' bus systems.