An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women prémontré ?

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

So, it's simple, is there women prémonté(e)s ? Wikipedia say yes, but I can't find a website about them, and in the moniale website of the church of France, who have every women order of contemplative, they are not... 

NadaTeTurbe

Thank. Why google doesn't find this for me... ? Mystery ! 

It looks as if there is no longer convent of prémontrées sisters in France. That's sad. 

Thank. Why google doesn't find this for me... ? Mystery ! 

It looks as if there is no longer convent of prémontrées sisters in France. That's sad. 

​I know, the search results can be very variable. I sometimes try using different countries' domains, e.g. .co.uk, .com, .fr, as this can throw up very different results too...

NadaTeTurbe

Thank you sister. I did not think to use the word "Norbert" ! 

I was at Conques, one day ago, with my class, and it was a pleasure to meet the monks. But they did not know if they have a women order... :) 

There are tons of videos about the Techapi sisters on Youtube. Just search for "Norbertine nuns". Here are a few:

littlesister

There are cloistered Norbertines in Techapi, CA whose numbers seem to be growing quite nicely.  

Three active Norbertines, originally from Slovakia, are at Sts. Peter and Paul Parish in Wilmington, CA., which is staffed by Norbertine priests.   So far this is their only community in the U.S, and they have two or three aspirants. They are practically our neighbors, and meeting them is always a treat.

I think I saw that first video a couple of years ago and remember being quite impressed. They all seemed highly intelligent and like they worked an unbelievable amount. Would you be interested in going to visit them, NadaTeTurbe?

NadaTeTurbe

Not specially, I am more looking in apostolic community, and wen it comes to contemplative, I really find myself in the Cistercian spirituality, it's where I do my retreat. 

But I am interested in the history of the Prémontré in my region (Conques, an important place of pilgrimage in the middle age, and still now), so I was wondering if a women branch existed. Turned out that yes but not in France :) 

Sister Leticia

Not wishing to derail this thread, but is Conques in central France, nearest airport Rodez? I visited there several years ago, and I remember visiting a lovely mediaeval church up a mountain, with some amazing carvings and statues. I recall it was on the Camino pilgrimage route, and I'm pretty sure it was called Conques.

NadaTeTurbe

It's in the South-West. You may have seen a beautifull church, with modern stained glass by Pierre SOulages who are lovely (wich is rare for modern stained glass !). And you may have seen a "treasure", with loooot of amazing statues with gold and diamonds. It is on the Camino pilgrimage and the monks are lovely. Two years ago, I was doing camping near it, but long story, at 2 a.m, we no longer have tents. We came to the monks (at 2 a.m !!), to ask for a bed, and they were smiling and happy to give us a bed, and because they did not have place, they really wanted to gave us THEIR beds (we finally slept on the ground). The nearest airport are Rodez and Toulouse-Blagnac. It is on the Camino pilgrimage. 

Sister Leticia

Thanks. I didn't meet any monks but I do remember the church and the lovely views. Sorry to have got my bit of France wrong, but at least I remembered the name of the airport!

End of thread hijack :)