An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I wait until Saturday to go to Confession because I'm scrupulous?

keeweebee

keeweebee

Long story short, yesterday I did something that (I think) I thought was a mortal sin at the time. I later discovered it is not a sin, but because I thought it was at the time and did it anyway, I believe that part is a mortal sin. However, now that I've thought about it endlessly and thoroughly confused myself, I am now unsure whether at the time I truly believed it to be a mortal sin or had some doubts. Generally I would want to confess ASAP to be on the safe side, but as someone who has suffered from scrupulosity in the past (and apparently present, though I thought I was doing better), I wonder if I should force myself to wait until Saturday rather than go out of my way to another parish tonight.

Complicating matters is the fact that I have dinner plans tonight that I'd rather not cancel and I fear that I may be leaning towards waiting till Saturday just so I don't have to cancel.

On an unrelated note, I'm excited to have joined this phorum--from looking around, you all seem to be a rather friendly bunch overall :)

truthfinder

Since it's not a mortal sin, and because of your scrupulosity, put it off to Saturday.  It seems that when looked at plainly it doesn't fulfill the three requirements of a committing a mortal sin.  You should confess that you thought it was a mortal sin and did it anyways, though; but make sure you also tell the confessor you are scrupulous.  Welcome to the phorum!