An Old School Catholic Message Board

Genuflecting

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Hi. 

So I've noticed that many, if not most, of the people at my work parish have no idea about the "rules" concerning when and where to genuflect in church. Since I'm in charge of faith formation, I'm trying to draft a bulletin article to teach them proper genuflecting/bowing etiquette. The thing is our church is kind of set up "in the round" (pews on three sides) and the tabernacle is off in it's own little chapel area to the right of the sanctuary (so it's extra confusing). 

Do you guys know of any good sources I can use to explain this well (gently and correctly)? 

IgnatiusofLoyola

Sorry, I'm no help with this, but if you put something together I would love to see it.

I've never been sure if I'm genuflecting correctly before entering the pew versus genuflecting before the altar.

Factoid: Very "high church" Episcopalians (who usually call themselves "Anglo-Catholics) usually genuflect as Roman Catholics do. But, it's been a long time since I've been to either a Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic church, and I'm not sure I was doing it correctly even back then. (I suspect that even if other people care if the correct knee is used, God understands the respectful intention behind it.) But, I'd prefer to genuflect correctly.

Last thought: I posted a question on genuflection on Phatmass a few years ago, and I ultimately found a good explanation on the Internet. Unfortunately, it was so long ago, I don't remember where I found the good explanation on genuflection. Sorry.

Good luck!

So you got Jesus off to the side somewhere and you're trying to teach parishioners how to reverence properly? Big challenge sister, wish you luck

Basilisa Marie

It's my impression that one genuflects on the right knee toward the tabernacle when one passes it or when one enters or exits the pew. And you bow (from the waist) to the altar when you pass it. If they're in the same line of sight, tabernacle trumps altar. :) 

I'm mostly trying to find some sort of document to use. My pastor is kinda not very into devotional stuff, and I want to get something official before I propose a bulletin article. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

It's my impression that one genuflects on the right knee toward the tabernacle when one passes it or when one enters or exits the pew. And you bow (from the waist) to the altar when you pass it. If they're in the same line of sight, tabernacle trumps altar. :) 

I'm mostly trying to find some sort of document to use. My pastor is kinda not very into devotional stuff, and I want to get something official before I propose a bulletin article. 

​Thanks, that's helpful. When I did my Internet search a few years ago, my recollection is that I found resources/explanations that were "semi-official." That is, although they were not issued directly by the Vatican, they were issued by one of the U.S. dioceses. I confess, however, that I didn't do extensive research, so perhaps you can find (or, ideally, someone at Phatmass knows) the specific canon laws (apologies if that is not the right term) that relate to the practice of genuflection.

In any case, if you do put something together, I would still like to see it. 

Credo in Deum

GIRM:

Genuflections and Bows

274. A genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration, and therefore it is reserved for the Most Blessed Sacrament, as well as for the Holy Cross from the solemn adoration during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.

During Mass, three genuflections are made by the priest celebrant: namely, after the showing of the host, after the showing of the chalice, and before Communion. Certain specific features to be observed in a concelebrated Mass are noted in their proper place (cf. nos. 210-251).

If, however, the tabernacle with the Most Blessed Sacrament is present in the sanctuary, the priest, the deacon, and the other ministers genuflect when they approach the altar and when they depart from it, but not during the celebration of Mass itself.

Otherwise all who pass before the Most Blessed Sacrament genuflect, unless they are moving in procession.

Ministers carrying the processional cross or candles bow their heads instead of genuflecting.

275. A bow signifies reverence and honor shown to the persons themselves or to the signs that represent them. There are two kinds of bows: a bow of the head and a bow of the body.

1. A bow of the head is made when the three Divine Persons are named together and at the names of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated.

2. A bow of the body, that is to say a profound bow, is made to the altar; during the prayers Munda cor meum (Almighty God, cleanse my heart) and In spiritu humilitatis (Lord God, we ask you to receive); in the Creed at the words Et incarnatus est (by the power of the Holy Spirit . . . and became man); in the Roman Canon at the words Supplices te rogamus (Almighty God, we pray that your angel). The same kind of bow is made by the deacon when he asks for a blessing before the proclamation of the Gospel. In addition, the priest bows slightly as he speaks the words of the Lord at the consecration.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20030317_ordinamento-messale_en.html#IV._SOME_GENERAL_NORMS_FOR_ALL_FORMS_OF_MASS

Good luck, people seem to do whatever they want. LOL. (My former parish was "in the round" as well and I think they just gave up educating people because the older people would genuflect, some people would bow, and others didn't do anything.)

When me and my family attend mass at a church that has the tabernacle off to the side, we are the only people in the entire place that genuflect as we walk by it. Most times, people look completely confused as to what we are doing. It's a shame really, because even though the tabernacle is off to the side, they have really done a good job of making it beautiful and prominent--and have created a wonderful space surrounding the tabernacle for prayer. The education is just not there. What's worse, the parish is actually called "Most Blessed Sacrament". :wacko:

I think it's up to the parish priests to enforce "the rules" and it's up to us to know them. Of the churches near me, one super traditional with old school music, confession is offered and importance discussed, speaks of Divine Mercy Sunday, signage regarding what is appropriate wear, no gum chewing or eating ( including g gum as the FDA regards gum as food) etc and we receive communion kneeling at the altar rail!! One is traditional, music is old school but they do remind us of the rules: clothing, gum, and review of bowing and genuflecting and we're to also bow just before receiving. The church I attend has updated music, confession is offered but not as visible as the other two, a beautiful pic of St Faustina without explaining the importance of Diving Mercy Sunday. Two of the three call religion classes CCD the other PREP. What gets me is that we do all of this handholding and raising that's nowhere in the rubrics anywhere but comes inn with our newer Catholics... Which is fine but.. We have to remember our traditions a d" rules". Being Catholic is a life long learning experience and its up to us to learn and study. One of the churches use Scott Hahn's materials for study's cd and they are great. 

Your description of the "super traditional" church that actually discusses the significance and importance of rubrics, etc., gives me hope, Makarioi.  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the historical language of ritual, symbolic gesture and postures is lost forever (at least in the churches near me).  I did, however, find an interesting discussion of the varieties of genuflection (left, right knee, double--even prostration) at http://www.fisheaters.com/posture.html

Bishop Thomas Olmstead also published a fitting article titled "Knees to Love Christ" (May, 2005) in The Catholic Sun:  http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=6378

NadaTeTurbe

I really want to genuflect, but my severe arthritis strongly disagree :( In my parish, one priest genuflect, another not always, and another no. Us, servant, we do like the priest does. Well, until the last few month I could genuflect, but it is becoming more and more difficult, and I don't think God want me to destroy my body. 

Spem in alium

Good luck! I think some kind of resource like this would definitely come in handy, particularly for the Easter Triduum or if your parish offers Exposition. :) 

In the parish I attend, the tabernacle is off to the side. And it's not super prominent either (I remember the first time I went to Mass there, I spent the first little while looking for the tabernacle). I genuflect towards it, but most other people who genuflect don't. 

Nihil Obstat

I really want to genuflect, but my severe arthritis strongly disagree :( In my parish, one priest genuflect, another not always, and another no. Us, servant, we do like the priest does. Well, until the last few month I could genuflect, but it is becoming more and more difficult, and I don't think God want me to destroy my body. 

​So it goes. If you would like to genuflect but cannot, God can see your heart. The problem would be if you could genuflect but do not. :)

Hi Pia, I am very fortunate to be in Central Florida where we have numerous Catholic Churches, lots of priests, Catholic Schools, a Cathedral and a Shrine nearby. We also have a variety of Protestant and Non Denominationals as well! Of our Catholic churches, some have the Tabernacle present' others off to the side which I believe is for safety as our population can be very transient. I genuflect entering and leaving the Pew but always facing the Tabernacle!

Your genuflection "entering and leaving the pew...facing the tabernacle" can be a means of education/evangelization in itself, Makarioi!  As other posters have noted, many people "simple don't know the rules" today.  While psychology tells us that there are many factors which determine how likely others will imitate or repeat behaviors of a model, the church architecture, design, furnishings, etc. also affect it.  A pastor who positively values genuflection certainly helps!  As far as layout, some nearby parishes have eliminated kneelers.  What does that suggest about the simple yet beautiful ritual symbolism of "the bended knee" in the Presence of Christ in the tabernacle?  Your comment regarding the "safety" and I presume security of the reposed Eucharist is well-noted.  Another reason (modern) church architects and planners move the tabernacle out of the sanctuary is to allow a multipurpose (beyond sacred worship) use of the space.  Wherever it is placed, I'm all for the Carthusian prayer posture and manner of genuflection described in Nancy Klein Maquire's An Infinity of Little Hours.  Prostrating yourself (in a near-fetal position) on the church floor or altar steps--with a cowl pulled over your head--and a fist placed close to the mouth shows real respect.  Exaggerated?  Sure...but we need to return to some basic decorum.