An Old School Catholic Message Board

Petition to Cancel Anti-Catholic Sit-Com

Not A Mallard

Not A Mallard

"The Disney/ABC television network have announced plans to air a series called “The Real O'Neals,” based on the life of the notorious X-rated sex-columnist and homosexual activist Dan Savage.

Savage, who is “married” to his male partner, is well-known for his hateful, profanity-laced rants against Christian and conservative values.

The decision to air a sit-com based upon his life marks a dramatic break with any moral responsibility once shouldered by the Disney/ABC Television Group."

https://www.lifesitenews.com/petitions/disney-stop-promoting-dan-savage

I didn't watch the trailer, but based on what I've read from it, I'm not tolerating this show's existence.

PhuturePriest

I watched the trailer a few days ago. I'd say we have to give them credit where credit is due, as the trailer did make me laugh and I could see myself watching it had it not been for my moral objection to it. They did their job very well in marketing an evil and making it appeal to a very wide audience.

From a secular standpoint, the subject matter is far too mature for ABC Family and Disney. What happened to the days when Disney did amesome shows like Kim Possible?

Not The Philosopher

I haven't seen the trailer (because Canadians apparently aren't allowed to see it), but the show sounds morally awful and agitpropy from what I've read.

Having said that, I'm not crazy about petitions like this. How many times do we hear groups on the secular left whining about how a show/movie/book/whatever somehow defamatory or offensive to feminists/gays/transsexuals/whatever, or trying boycott people because they're saying something they don't agree with? We hear that quite a bit, or at least I do, and I find it to be shrill and annoying. I still find it irksome when it comes from people who share my own beliefs. People are way too touchy these days.

Please note - I'm not trying to say that this show is somehow good or defensible; I doubt it is. It's just that this isn't the way to deal with something that gives offense.

Norseman82

Well, considering Dan Savage was in my class at Quigley (at least until he left mid-sophomore year), I may watch it just to see how accurately it portrays him.

Edited by Norseman82

Everybody needs to stop watching all television. It makes viewers stupid. 

The government is not Big Brother. TELEVISION is Big Brother. 

(Am I being clear and forceful enough?)

NadaTeTurbe

I watched the trailer a few days ago. I'd say we have to give them credit where credit is due, as the trailer did make me laugh and I could see myself watching it had it not been for my moral objection to it. They did their job very well in marketing an evil and making it appeal to a very wide audience.

From a secular standpoint, the subject matter is far too mature for ABC Family and Disney. What happened to the days when Disney did amesome shows like Kim Possible?

​When I was little, I did not have the right to watch Kim Possible because "it is not the way lady behave". When I came back to my parent house, Kim Possible was no longer at the TV. Big childhood trauma. 

I only watch TV for documentary on animals at 5 pm when I come back from class. But I watch series in streaming ;) I'm not gonna watch it, but I don't think it is a "danger" for society. This is free speech. 

Ash Wednesday

Disney has been awful for years. 

Fortunately, a show being stupid in itself is very effective in shutting itself down because people lose interest or weren't interested in the first place. Which I expect will likely be the case here. The "Catholic jokes schtick" can only keep a show going for so long.  

Not A Mallard

The petitions/boycotts don't work. If anything they just draw attention to the show. ​

bonhoeffersilenceevil.png?w=403&h=403

PhuturePriest

The petitions/boycotts don't work. If anything they just draw attention to the show. 

​I can see what you're saying, but the question becomes "What do we do instead?" We can't just sit back and do nothing, or even just pray and hope for the best.

Not The Philosopher

The way I see it, the best way to combat croutons art and immoral art is to make good art. Failing that, the second best is to support people who are making good art. And I mean good art, not just 'this has Catholic values' art. Genuine beauty can change a lot of hearts. The Church has, like, a 2000 year pedigree of producing and patronizing mindblowing works of art that glorify God; this should be easy, and yet somehow everyone seems to have dropped the ball on it.

The way I see it, the best way to combat croutons art and immoral art is to make good art. Failing that, the second best is to support people who are making good art. And I mean good art, not just 'this has Catholic values' art. Genuine beauty can change a lot of hearts. The Church has, like, a 2000 year pedigree of producing and patronizing mindblowing works of art that glorify God; this should be easy, and yet somehow everyone seems to have dropped the ball on it.

​THANK YOU.

Thanks so now more people are going to watch and support the show because they know it pisses Christians off.

​I can see what you're saying, but the question becomes "What do we do instead?" We can't just sit back and do nothing, or even just pray and hope for the best.

​the hell I can't. Don't people see that whinging over stuff like this never ever works and is actually counterproductive?

Also I did a little research and it turns out a lot of LGBT folks, feminists don't like dan savage so you could of just let them do the whinging for you.

bonhoeffersilenceevil.png?w=403&h=403

Yeah this is tooootally equivalent to the Nazi menace. 

Christians are always trying to get other Christians to do stupid things "because don't you want to stand up for Jesus?" Or similar games of chicken. 

In fact not only does this stupid thing not accomplish anything, it actually produces the opposite of the desired effect. 

When we do we work on the "wise as serpents" part of the instructions?