An Old School Catholic Message Board

bringing religious objects to monastery

MarysLittleFlower

Spem in alium

I expect that before you enter ANY Community--active or cloistered--you will be told what you can bring. If you are not specifically told, then it would not be out of place to ask.

However, it would seem to me (and others please speak up if you disagree) that the number and nature of religious objects you are allowed to bring should not be one of the first questions you ask a Community, but a question you ask after you have been admitted, or at the time you make application to a Community. I would expect that by the time you ask to be admitted to a Community, you would already understand how your possible future Community interprets the vow of poverty. Whether or not you were allowed to keep a certain number of religious objects shouldn't be a factor in choosing a Community. (Note: I am NOT saying you have ever suggested you would do this. Your original post is very clear that you are simply collecting general information about customs of various Religious Communities.)

I agree, it is not a question that really needs to be asked straight away. In terms of the vows, I have actually learnt about them not by asking questions, but by living in community. When I applied to enter my Congregation, I knew what the vows were in essence, but not how they were practiced. Now I witness my Sisters practicing poverty, chastity, and obedience, and this gives me a clearer idea not only of what the vows mean, but of how I should approach them. However, I don't think I will understand them properly until I learn about them as a novice and make my professions of vows. Through seeing how my Sisters live, I have learned what is appropriate - particularly in terms of my living space and the items I should have. I have progressed from someone very enthusiastic about religious items to someone living quite sparsely and simply, and I find this to be something which has helped me greatly. :) 

Thanks for the replies!

One of the things that I'm wondering about is that I've joined certain associations or confraternities where one of the obligations is to wear a blessed object. For example I'm part of the St Philomena Achconfraternity and one of the obligations is wearing the St Philomena cord. I'm also enrolled into the Miraculous Medal and the Brown Scapular. Because of the Brown Scapular promise I hope to wear it till death.. So I'm wondering how this works with entering religious life because I've already been enrolled into these things. 

​Each congregation may be different. I know one of my Sisters wears a scapular medal under her habit. I have been enrolled in the St Joseph scapular and have one in my room. It seems like something you just need to ask.

Edited by Spem in alium