An Old School Catholic Message Board

amour absolu - docu about bethlehem sisters

josephine

I found this lovely documentary about the monastic sisters of bethlehem and st Bruno

thought you would enjoy it!

the docu is in french, but as they are hermit-sisters who don't talk that much that shouldn't be a problem and otherwise i hope nadateturbe will help translate things?

I really loved the ending: the sisters are watching the sun and singing so beautifully "maranatha, the spirit and the bride say, come!"

there whole lives are really a wake, waiting and praying for the coming of the Savior!

Thank you so much for posting this!  I love those sisters so much!  I have been to their monastery in Livingston Manor, NY a few different times now either for single days of prayer or for retreat.  And just last week, on the feast of the Ascension, I was able to spend some time in prayer at their monastery in Paris!!!  It was such an incredible gift to be there with them.  

Thank you for posting...I hope to be able to actually watch the whole thing soon!  

Nada, 

Could you please tell us what the sister is saying to the group of visitors? 

Thank you in advance.

I posted the link to the Israeli film that was made a few years ago ... this is not the "first time" the sisters have been the subject of a film, but they are always fascinating [and French is probably easier for most to understand than Hebrew <g>]

truthfinder

Nada, 

Could you please tell us what the sister is saying to the group of visitors? 

Thank you in advance.

​Not a transcription, but one of the visitors asks about recruitment for the monastery.  The nun responds that they do not recruit; Jesus recruits for them.  In freedom, the woman approaches the monastery. If you want, I or someone else can go back and transcribe properly. 

NadaTeTurbe

Sister : Come on, come on. 

Man : Sister, how does the baton go ? 

Sister : There is no recruitment. It's the Lord who do the recruitment. It's not the community who go to find people, so they can come here, it's really the community who stay hidden, in the silence of God, and the Lord call the heart of the people who pass by the monastery, who came in liberty to the little sisters, speaking about the call they received in their heart, then the little sisters discerned to know if it is here that the Lord wait for them, But it's true... it's... It's the freedom in the heart of every little sisters.

NadaTeTurbe

I won't post more on the LIttle sisters and just go back to translate it, because I don't know them, and I don't want to tell lie. But I thought you have the right to know what is going on in the "french speaking world", the testimony is from the old prior of the brothers. 

genesisweavers

- Frankly I was surprised that this document was permitted to be displayed here in this forum.  I have never read anything here that is this damaging to a religious  congregation.  And frankly the text has revenge written all over it.  It makes me wonder why  such a piece was even written, why posted here by Nada and why the moderators agreed to publish it.   Even if there are no legal consequences here the damage that a piece like this can cause is huge not to mention the issue of charity.  And what about truth - how do we know that this is even true. 

I'm a lay associate of Bethlehem and have known the Sisters here in Livingston Manor for about 15 years.  I have lived here at the monastery for four years and I cook for the guests.  From my experience I have never seen anything here that would tell me that this document is accurate.  In fact I have often said - the Bethlehem Monks and Monastic Sisters are the best people I have ever met.  They are clearly very holy and deeply spiritual people.  Just one observation on the criticisms listed in this document - a slam on their liturgy.  I have said for the longest time now that their liturgy is like a lesson in the spiritual life.  If they have been experimenting with it for 60 years - it's a masterpiece in my world.  And the way they pray the liturgy is totally dignified and reverent.  I think - if someone wants to make an issue out of liturgy there are thousands of very poor liturgies in our churches throughout the world. 

Bethlehem has been an inspiration too me and to hundreds of people who come here to the monastery to experience time in solitude and to pray.  This document does not even come close to anything that I have experienced here.  Perhaps we need to pray for this forum if this the direction it's taking. 

NadaTeTurbe

I find the document by googling, and I did not read all (just the testimony by the prior and another by a lady who criticize but finish with "it was the best year of my life"). I don't find them harsh. I wanted to share it, that's all.  find the link to the document on a website who belong to a priest who have responsability in the Church of France. I don't know the sisters of Bethleem. I am sorry if it is innapropriate and I can take off my message (I speak/write faster than I think, I have had innapropriate word against another community here, and if a moderator ask me I can edit). 

If you're a lay associate, you can post your testimony (what you have beginning to do), and maybe other people who know them can post, so we will have a fair testimony. Maybe the testimonies inside are only right for the brothers or for some monastery (like there is probably benedictine monastery who are problematic but then get better), or for a time. 

On the liturgy, I think what the (ex)brother was saying it that it is not official. Not that it is not beautiful or whatever (it looks like), but not recognized. 

Swami Mommy

This was a lovely video of a way of life filled with Presence and devotion.  Thank you for sharing it.  Just as an aside, I confess I kept feeling uneasy about all the candles used for ritual and for reading as I could see the potential for accidentally setting a habit sleeve on fire in a moment of drowsiness in the wee hours of the night during prayer!  I really liked how each nun had her own private prayer stall in the chapel that created a certain intimacy with one's own aloneness even in community.  I also really liked the simplicity of the nun's cell, and I was very taken with how moving so slowly and with such deliberation brought mindfulness to their daily tasks.  I was also struck by the reverence with which the nuns moved through their rituals and how important it is to bring that heartfelt devotion to whatever we do in order to invoke the sacredness of everyday life.

tnavarro61

it's really unfair when people make things online when the other party cannot defend themselves.. not that I am blaming nada.. but i think the post should be taken down.

o welcome back navo.

NadaTeTurbe

Sister : Come on, come on. 

Man : Sister, how does the baton go ? 

Sister : There is no recruitment. It's the Lord who do the recruitment. It's not the community who go to find people, so they can come here, it's really the community who stay hidden, in the silence of God, and the Lord call the heart of the people who pass by the monastery, who came in liberty to the little sisters, speaking about the call they received in their heart, then the little sisters discerned to know if it is here that the Lord wait for them, But it's true... it's... It's the freedom in the heart of every little sisters.