An Old School Catholic Message Board

It may seem bizarre.......

“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”

–Physicist Paul Davies, the winner of the 2001 Kelvin Medal issued by the Institute of Physics and the winner of the 2002 Faraday Prize issued by the Royal Society (amongst other awards), as cited in his book God and the New Physics.

“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”

​A bizarre thought indeed. 

“I believe that the more thoroughly science is studied, the further does it take us from anything comparable to atheism.”

“If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God.”

–Lord William Kelvin, who was noted for his theoretical work on thermodynamics, the concept of absolute zero and the Kelvin temperature scale based upon it.

Credo in Deum

I wonder when someone is going to get that Religion and Science is the complete picture?  

Credo in Deum

This concept of anti-intellectualism is also nothing new.  Ven. Fulton J Sheen talks about it in his book "God and Intelligence".  He writes of the new notion of God by modern man:

"But what is this new notion of God?  It is God in evolution. God is ​not. He becomes. In the beginning was not the Word, but in the beginning was Movement. From this movement God is born by successive creations. As the world progresses, He progresses; as the world acquires perfection, He acquires perfection. He is therefore not the Alpha and Omega of things, for His destiny and perfection lie hidden in the final evolution of the universe.

Man is a necessary step in the evolution of God. The divine shows in him as well as in God. One day it will manifest itself completely.  Just as man came from beast, God will come from man.  The perfectibility of man implies the manifestation of the divine.  "Men will be like Gods."

He goes on to explain the problem as an attack on the value of intelligence and that, "As man lost faith in intelligence, they acquired faith in the God of becoming."

This book was written in 1925 and describes to a T the world we live in now and the attitude modern man has toward God, philosophy, theology, and religion.  

Edited by Credo in Deum