An Old School Catholic Message Board

top 5 Catholic U's

little2add

little2add

choose wisely

Indiana Jones: ...who drinks the water I shall give him, says the Lord, will have a spring inside him welling up for eternal life. Let them bring me to your holy mountain in the place where you dwell. Across the desert and through the mountain to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon, to the Temple where the cup that - where the cup that holds the blood of Jesus Christ resides forever.

1. University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, Indiana)

Famous for its research, it is consistently ranked as one of the country's top universities. The University of Notre Dame is well-grounded on its religious roots. Founded in 1842, the institution was able to incorporate Catholicism in the programs it offers, as well as the school activities. The university has its campus ministry and the Basilica of the Sacred Heart to offer Mass to students.

2. College of the Holy Cross  (Worcester, Massachusetts)

The college specializes in liberal arts and has been devoted to its cultivation. CHC is usually included as one of the top colleges offering quality academic programs, but it does not neglect its traditions passed by its Jesuit founders. The Chaplain's Office is active in promoting campus ministry through activities, like retreats and immersions, as well as providing service opportunities, according to USA Today.

3. Georgetown University (Washington, D.C.)

It is the country's oldest Catholic school, also founded by the Jesuits in 1789. According to USA Today, it is excellent universities that offer Ethnic, Cultural, Gender and Group Studies, as well as the English language and literature degree programs. Georgetown U's campus ministry is actively providing students a spiritual guide through retreats and lectures centering on religious sentiments.

4. Boston College (Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts)

Another high ranking educational institution that is still well connected to its religious roots and Jesuit teachings, the Boston College has a mission that includes spiritual growth through service. It has high freshman retention and on-time graduation, offering quality programs on education, history and philosophy and religious studies.

5. Villanova University (Villanova, Pennsylvania)

The university has maintained its Roman Catholic roots and is well known for its community service incorporated with high quality academic programs. Values are present in the curriculum, with popular majors like marketing, engineering and health. Like the aforementioned schools, Villanova University also has a strong campus ministry, enriching the spiritual life and community ties with its students.

This seems to be a list of universities with Catholic histories that are highly ranked in the secular rankings. I'm not sure all of these schools could still properly be called "Catholic".

little2add

my son graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville, good school I suppose, but my boy learned MOST IF NOT ALL about Faith, knowledge and Christianity from his late mother.  god rest her soul. 

his brother went to a community college and finished up at SUNY.     The saving grace is he's not up to his eyeballs in debt / student loans and he did get a good education

Edited by little2add

University of St. John, Collegeville, MN, run by the Benedictines, who teach there.  College of St. Benedict for women, founded by the Benedictine sisters at St. Joseph, MN, is nearby.

Ancilla Domini

My brother visited Boston College when he was applying to colleges, and the student leading his tour said, "We're all-inclusive here. Some people might be turned away because they don't want to go to a Catholic college, but see, what I say is there's Catholic and there's Jesuit." :P