An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communities Mary helped to found??

John Paul

Is there any communities where Mary wrote like the rule and then gave it to a priest to found ?

IF Mary herself - the mother of Jesus, assumed into heaven, and now the Queen of Heaven - had ever appeared to a founder of a religious order and handed her/him a rule of life...

I think all other orders would have dried up and blown away... the Church would recognize that rule (and probably only that rule)... there would be a feast day for it... lots of other stuff.

Mary has appeared to a lot of people over the course of time, including Bernadette Soubirous at Lourdes, and the children of Fatima. Bernadette and Lucia both took up religious life, and in neither case did Mary give them a rule of life. In fact, Lucia took vows in one order first (Sisters of St. Dorothy) and then transferred (to the Discalced Carmelites) - so, clearly, even she - to whom Mary herself appeared several times - was not given a rule of life written by Mary.

So the short answer is, "No, there are no communities where Mary wrote the rule and then gave it to a priest to found."

Mary+Immaculate<3

I do remember reading a book about Sts. Dominic and Hyacinth in which Mary gave Dominic instruction on the current rosary (minus the Luminious mysteries, obviously). Nobody knows what exactly was said in that apparition.

However, I think I remember either Hyacinth, Dominic or both had a dream about Mary clothing someone with the Dominican habit. In the dream, she invested them with the white scapular, which was not in the original plan of the habit. Then he had another dream with the scapular again, after he had clothed people. That is why they have the white scapular, because Mary made it clear it was a very important part of the habit.

So, long story short, though it doesn't seem that Mary wrote constitutions and such, but she has intervened and been an integral part of virtually every religious order in some way.

Mary+Immaculate<3

I do remember reading a book about Sts. Dominic and Hyacinth in which Mary gave Dominic instruction on the current rosary (minus the Luminious mysteries, obviously). Nobody knows what exactly was said in that apparition.

However, I think I remember either Hyacinth, Dominic or both had a dream about Mary clothing someone with the Dominican habit. In the dream, she invested them with the white scapular, which was not in the original plan of the habit. Then he had another dream with the scapular again, after he had clothed people. That is why they have the white scapular, because Mary made it clear it was a very important part of the habit.

So, long story short, though it doesn't seem that Mary wrote constitutions and such, but she has intervened and been an integral part of virtually every religious order in some way.

Maximilianus

The Blessed Mother asked St. Peter Nolasco to found the Mercedarians... they use the Augistinian Rule