An Old School Catholic Message Board

new Dominican novice

Feankie

http://nunsmenlo.org

Invested on May 25th, Sr. Marie Dominic of the Incarnate Word  ( I think I got that right!) now begins her canonical novitiate.

If I'm not mistaken, Sister was a recipient of a grant from one of the agencies that work with aspirants to the religious life.  I must be having a senior moment as I can't for the life of me remember the name of the organization.

Great post! I love their website - interesting to note that the dormitory for professed sisters is marked. Their habits are unusually beautiful (in my opinion)! 

Thank you for sharing this lovely news.

It is lovely to see that Sr.  Marie Dominic of the Incarnate Word has entered the Novitiate .After struggling for many years to repay her student debt she was assisted by the Laboure Society to enable her to enter .

Many prayers for her and the Community at Menlow Park.

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing! 

Perhaps you are thinking of the Laboure Society? 

http://labouresociety.org

​I am not for sure if they are the same but the MEFV is the organization that fund her vocation. Here is the link to their group, http://fundforvocations.org/Home

The Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations is privileged to assist men and women to follow God's call to service in the Church through a life of consecration. We operate the St. Joseph Student Debt Relief Grant Program for religious life. The grants issued through this program eliminate the delay many young people encounter as they struggle to pay off their student debts before they can enter religious life. A grant pays a person's student loan payments while they are in formation for religious life.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Note: The MEFV and the Laboure Society are different organizations, but both have helped many young people pay off their education debt so that they can enter religious life. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two Phatmassers/former Phatmassers who have had their debts paid by the Mater Ecclesiae Fund. If I can think of two off the top of my head, the actual number is probably higher.

Although it has been able to help a great many aspirants, sadly, due to a lack of funds, the Mater Ecclesiae Fund still has to turn down the applications of a great many aspirants every year.

• 2 weeks later...

Note: The MEFV and the Laboure Society are different organizations, but both have helped many young people pay off their education debt so that they can enter religious life. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two Phatmassers/former Phatmassers who have had their debts paid by the Mater Ecclesiae Fund. If I can think of two off the top of my head, the actual number is probably higher.

Although it has been able to help a great many aspirants, sadly, due to a lack of funds, the Mater Ecclesiae Fund still has to turn down the applications of a great many aspirants every year.

​Actually, MEFV stated in their latest newsletter the following: 

MEFV News

Fall 2014 Newsletter Available
Our fall newsletter has been mailed to our donors and friends. It includes a reflection by Fr. Kevin Mann on his vocational journey (Fr. Kevin was the first grant recipient to be ordained to the priesthood.) The grant recipient interview is with Br. Malachy Joseph, CFR, recently solemnly professed. You can download a copy here (pdf). button.png Visit the archive of all our newsletters. button.png
2014 Grant Awards

We have made a leap of faith.

Two unexpected occurrences have led to a very surprising event for the Fund for Vocations. First, by the time the application period had closed this year we had only 23 applications for grants. Normally, the count is in the 40s. We have no idea why there were so few, but we expect it is just happenstance and we will see a return to normal numbers next year, particularly since we are seeing our usual level of inquiries for early in the year.

Second, our donors' generosity has greatly exceeded our expectations and the Fund ended 2013 in the fairly good financial condition.

Those two occurrences led the Fund's board of directors to make a great leap of faith and authorize the funding of grants to all our applicants this year! This act equates to a commitment to raise an additional $75,000 each year for more than a decade.

That is a 35% increase in our commitment to help men and women proceed with the life to which God has called them. As we can only attribute our good financial position to your generous response to God's call to you, we can do no less. Please pray for us and continue to help us in this work to build up the Church

Sr Mary Catharine OP

This was last year! They had to turn some away for the 2014-2015 grant period.