An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confidential meeting seeks to sway-synod to accept same-sex unions

Lilllabettt

Not The Philosopher

The cognitive dissonance of people like this baffles me to no end.

But yes, we should pray.

Nihil Obstat

to read about this kind of thing in a reputable, non-reactionary newspaper is extremely disturbing.

confidential-meeting-seeks-to-sway-synod-to-accept-same-sex-unions

what can be done? Pray, I guess.

What, are such reports exclusively the domain of "reactionaries"? We have had modernist prelates and clergymen for decades. It is only surprising that we took this long to acknowledge them for what they are.

Groups of theologians and career churchpeople trying to be insightful is like Christians trying to make popular culture...they always look like cheap imitations. It's like a bunch of virgins trying to navigate the boundaries of sex...they're so self-conscious of the boundaries that they have no idea what it means to be inside or outside them. It's the same reason why dogmatic conservatives are rarely insightful, too busy gatekeeping boundaries they have nothing really interesting to say about what the boundaries contain or keep out. I only pay attention to prophets, not politicians.

Would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.

--Revelation 3:15-16

PhuturePriest

Why must it always be my German brothers? Can't the fault lie in those goody-goody Poles just once?

PhuturePriest

Well this thread sure went places.

​Going places is infinitely better than not going anywhere at all. 

CatherineM

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about this one.  Wishful thinking, never going to happen.

Nihil Obstat

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about this one.  Wishful thinking, never going to happen.

Wishful thinking would be that all the modernists suddenly catch the flu before Synod round 2 and have to stay home. And then the Synod condemns their errors and the Pope deposes every last one of them.

Norseman82

Can't the fault lie in those goody-goody Poles just once?

​Ja cie chlasnie!  Iść do dom i spać, fetus!

Wishful thinking would be that all the modernists suddenly catch the flu before Synod round 2 and have to stay home. And then the Synod condemns their errors and the Pope deposes every last one of them.

​Actually, I think wishful thinking would be that they not catch the flu and attend the 'Synod round 2'.  All these like-minded bishops, cardinals, prelates or whatever can then state their case.  They would then be presented with the timeless teachings of the church.  These personas non gratas (pardon my latin) would then be presented their errors in mercy, kindness, and truth.  They would then be humbled, and acquiesce respectfully.  Then all would work together, in fraternal love, to again present the truth of the church as revealed by God. 

Perhaps stated with tongue-in-cheek, Nihil, and I can't read your heart, nor say that ascii over the interwebs let's me know exactly what you meant...but maybe it would be wiser to wish for conversion and repentance, rather than canonical deposing. (I mean, we are wishing, right?)  I know love, conversion, and repentance are not perceived as very manly in society these days, but maybe it would be more effective than those who might read your words and come away with chest-thumping, pharisaic,  'us good, they bad' type of mentality; especially since I doubt that is the kind of person you are, nor is it the message a man of your intelligence would want to portray....I think.

But then, I'm a hippie, so what do I know...

(please note the use of a semicolon.  thank you)