An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious life and art

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I like to draw and paint. Its something that if Jesus wants me to keep doing I'll do, and if He wants me to give up then I will. But I'm just wondering - are there any Sisters who do art for the Church or to support their convent - maybe anonymously? I remember St Therese wrote poems.... There are musical compositions including recent ones I know by Sisters - like for example Benedictines. What about visual art? I think St Louis De Montfort made statues and St John of the Cross drew Our Lord crucified but any nuns who have done art? Its all up to God's Will but I'm just wondering for fu​n because I like nuns and art :) thanks!

The Dominicans have a long history of artist-religious, For instance, Fra Angelico and Fra Lippo Lippi were artists (although Lippo Lippi was not a very good religious, but never mind that for now).

Sr. Mary Grace Thul, OP (cloistered nun) does a lot of artwork, for income. Here's a basic link, but she does a lot more than what's shown here - explore the web site at your leisure: http://www.benincasaop.org/catalogs.html

The Sparkill (NY) Dominicans (active) have a sister who does sculpture and several who do paintings: http://www.sparkill.org/Public/GiftShop/index.html and another, Pauline Blandina, who does painting-drawing: http://www.paulineblandina.org/

The Benedictine monastery  in Indiana, St. Meinrad's, has a monk named Martin (Steve) Erspamer. You've probably seen a lot of his work, it's that common in the church today. https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvKU4GtV4zAA6KsnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Br.+Martin+Erspamer+Art+Work&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Before he entered St. Meinrad's, he had been a Marianist for something like fifteen or twenty years. The Marianists had another very well-known artist-brother, Mel Meyer (he died about a year ago): https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEV7rE4WtVaRkAo_0nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Mel+Meyer+Art+Work&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

They also have a guy named Cletus Behlmann (still alive): http://cletusart.com/Cletus_Art/About.html

That's not counting the monks of the Printery House (Conception Abbey) or Abbey Press (St. Meinrad's in Indiana). 

I'm pretty sure that there are, like, seven hundred thousand more artist-religious out there. If you go into that line of work, you're gonna have some heavy competition!

Edited by Luigi

Sister Leticia

Here in the UK we have

Sr Mary Stephen CRSS whose designs are often to be found on cards, posters etc http://www.canonesses.co.uk/gallery/art/

The Benedictine sisters of Turvey Abbey http://www.turveyabbey.org.uk/15_artwork.html

Quidenham Carmel who sell cards using their own photos and artwork http://quidenhamcarmel.org.uk/catalog/cards-crafts

and others, less well known though not less talented! In my own congregation, for example, we have a couple of sisters who produce calendars and books using their photos and spiritual quotes, but on a smaller, less commercial scale. We also used to have a sister (now in heaven) who was a wood engraver and illustrator before she entered, then taught as a religious and in retirement returned properly to art and especially to engraving. For many years she was in a wheelchair, and looked as fragile as a little bird, but her hands were incredibly strong and she was engraving and getting work published until shortly before her death. I've just found her obituary in a national newspaper http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/sister-margaret-tournour-36319.html

So yes, all sorts of creative gifts can be used to glorify the Lord!

Spem in alium

There is a Benedictine abbey here which does produce artistic things. When I was in the US, the Benedictine monastery I lived near sold art objects also. Several of my Sisters are artistic and make things either for fun or to give away to charity or to friends and family (and I think some have probably sold their things).

Personally, I am artistic (I enjoy calligraphy quite a lot, as well as drawing and crochet) and have given things I've made to my Sisters. It's just a hobby of mine, but it's very important to have a pastime you enjoy, that uses your talents and gifts, and that can help you to glorify God.

MarysLittleFlower

There is a Benedictine abbey here which does produce artistic things. When I was in the US, the Benedictine monastery I lived near sold art objects also. Several of my Sisters are artistic and make things either for fun or to give away to charity or to friends and family (and I think some have probably sold their things).

Personally, I am artistic (I enjoy calligraphy quite a lot, as well as drawing and crochet) and have given things I've made to my Sisters. It's just a hobby of mine, but it's very important to have a pastime you enjoy, that uses your talents and gifts, and that can help you to glorify God.

Thanks for the replies! :) I guess this is something I'm not very knowleadge about - whether Sisters can have hobbies or if you need permission to do something. I'm ok with either and I'm kind of leaving it up to God if I can still do art or not if I have a religious vocation... It is something I'm trying to use now to make religious art to share my faith.

TheresaThoma

Many convents use artisitic talents as a way of supporting their life. 

And sometimes it just comes in handy for making a sign to welcome a new member or a lovely card to celebrate a feast day.

Sister Leticia

Thanks for the replies! :) I guess this is something I'm not very knowleadge about - whether Sisters can have hobbies or if you need permission to do something. I'm ok with either and I'm kind of leaving it up to God if I can still do art or not if I have a religious vocation... It is something I'm trying to use now to make religious art to share my faith.

​I am reminded of Janet Stuart RSCJ, a Sacred Heart sister who died just over 100 years ago. She grew up in the country and loved riding and hunting and going for long walks. Before entering in 1882, when she was 24, she had travelled a lot and was very active and sporty. When she started feeling very strongly called to the Society she asked herself whether she could give up her horses and travelling and spend the rest of her life cooped up in a convent, maybe always in the same one. But the call was stronger and she entered.

She did end up spending most of her life in the same convent, but then in 1911 she became superior general, and started visiting Sacred Heart communities around the world. Her travelling before entering had only been within Europe, but now she went to Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Egypt, North and South America as well as all over Europe. What's more, in a couple of the countries like Chile and Egypt, the best way to get from A to B was... on horseback...!

So Janet entered, prepared to give up riding and travelling forever, and 30 years later God handed her gift back to her. But this time the riding and travelling wasn't just for her pleasure, it was in God's service.

I'll leave you to draw the moral from the story :)

Spem in alium

​I distinctly remember a couple of months before I was accepted into my congregation, I had a weekend stay at the convent where I currently live. The Vocations Director and the superior (both of whom I knew better than the other Sisters) were both away, and so I spent time with Sisters I didn't know as well. It was during that weekend that one of my Sisters taught me to crochet. She is an avid knitter and a former teacher, and so was ALL too happy to pass on her knowledge :) I clearly remember her telling me that as a religious, I needed to have a hobby or two - something that would give me the opportunity to relax and to recharge, something I could possibly use to bring joy to other people, and something that was distinctly separate from my ministry or prayer life. 
It's one of the wisest pieces of advice I think I've ever received. I try to do some kind of recreational activity (crochet, drawing, etc.) at least once a week. I find that not only do I enjoy it and look forward to doing it, but that I also need it. Religious men and women are still human, and still need to take time out. Art and crafts are a good way of doing that. 

Excellent advice!  I've never had the slightest desire to smoke, but I often tell people that I'm a "three pack a day" knitter and crocheter.  If I can't get frequent "fixes" I go into "withdrawal" but when I begin to feel stressed out, even a few rows works better than an anti-depressant.  And it can be very useful, too.  A few years ago, someone dumped on me a huge carton of leftover wool, enough to make several afghans made out of squares in various designs.  I also make baby blankets which save my daughters large amounts of money if gifts for their friends, who always seem to have new babies.  Any community with a gift shop could benefit from having such hand crafts to sell.

Edited by Antigonos

Yes, I've read that knitting is an excellent anti-anxiety activity. Something to do with going round and round. So is painting figures of 8. I wish they'd put more money into recreational, pleasant things like that for combatting mental illness.

Spem in alium

Excellent advice!  I've never had the slightest desire to smoke, but I often tell people that I'm a "three pack a day" knitter and crocheter.  If I can't get frequent "fixes" I go into "withdrawal" but when I begin to feel stressed out, even a few rows works better than an anti-depressant.  And it can be very useful, too.  A few years ago, someone dumped on me a huge carton of leftover wool, enough to make several afghans made out of squares in various designs.  I also make baby blankets which save my daughters large amounts of money if gifts for their friends, who always seem to have new babies.  Any community with a gift shop could benefit from having such hand crafts to sell.

​I loveeee crochet! I made a crochet Christmas gift for each of my family members last year, and made some gloves for one of my Sisters' birthdays. I recently learned how to entrelac and am really enjoying it. It's a wonderful way to de-stress, and to bring joy to others. My Sister who taught me to crochet knits for charity and for her family and friends, and each month goes to "knitting parties" at our local craft shop; apparently they often get around 50 people there, who all bring their projects, most of which are for particular charities. So it can truly be a wonderful way of benefiting other people while still bringing you enjoyment and peace. :) 

:o)Katherine:o)

Most of the communities that I have visited or interacted with have utilized a sister's gift or talent whether it was used for the community or as a way to raise funds for the community. I remember when I was at a conference I met a Poor Clare who paints icons as a way to help support her community. They even sent her to take classes and study the history of icons to help her not only in her skill but in her knowledge and history of the specific artwork. Most communities encourage a hobby to help with stimulation and a way to release stress or nerves in a positive way. :)

NadaTeTurbe

Haha, I can make publicity for my favorite monk-artist :D Dom Robert was a benedictine monk in l'abbaye Saint Benoît d'En Calcat. He made painting : http://www.domrobert.com/les-aquarelles_29.php (my favorites are the last virgin and "Heurtebise") and tapestry : http://www.domrobert.com/les-tapisseries_28.php (I love "La création de l'homme" and "Magnificat"). He said : "It is by circumstances that I made tapestry, it is by call that I entered monastery, and it is by birth that I draw"