An Old School Catholic Message Board

convent cake thread

vee

sr.christinaosf

From I-scream to Cherry Su-preme!!!

I posted this on my blog for St. Anne's, the "Scoop", but thought I'd share it here too since it's a delicious recipe.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you may know, we had our annual pie & cake ice cream social Sunday afternoon.  I think people had a good time and enjoyed their desserts.

In the past, sometimes the ice cream has gotten rather soft by the time our servers got toward the bottom of the pail.  Rather than toss the "soupy" stuff (or try to re-freeze it and hope it isn't too crystallized), I've been known to make "cherry supreme."  This is a family favorite recipe we enjoyed as kids.  You make a crumbly crust and serve the dessert with hot cherry pie filling (see recipe below).  Shelly (our Activity Director) was too efficient this year and got the ice cream back in the freezer.

listen 014

Next time your vanilla ice cream gets a little soft, you might want to try out "cherry supreme" - it might become a family favorite of your own.

Cherry Supreme
(9 servings)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream (softened)

Heat oven to 400.  Mix butter, sugar, flour, and pecans.  Press evenly in bottom of un-greased baking pan - 9X9X2.  Bake until light brown (about 12 minutes). Crumble with spoon.  Cool.  Reserve 1 cup of the crumbs, press remaining crumbs evenly in bottom of pan.  Pack ice cream on crust.  Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top and refreeze for at least 4 hours.  Just before serving, heat a 21-oz. can cherry pie filling and serve ice cream dessert with hot cherries on top.

IgnatiusofLoyola

If I ever want to life a life of severe penance, I'll join your Community! :) Your food looks too yummy!

Not only am I diabetic, (so I have to limit sugar and carbs--like flour), but I have to follow a very low fat diet due to liver problems. Basically the only ingredient in this recipe I'd be allowed to eat would be the pecans! (Nuts are okay as long as I don't eat too many--it's animal fats I have to avoid.) Also, cherries and other types of berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) are pretty much the only fruits I'm allowed to eat because they have lower sugar/fructose levels compared to other types of fruit. (Fructose--fruit sugar--is metabolized by the liver unlike sucrose/glucose, so people with liver problems try to avoid it.) Instead, I'd eat the cherries while they were still fresh (or "out of season" I'd make a smoothie with frozen cherries). I'm also allergic to artificial sweeteners, so no "diet" soft drinks for me. (Thankfully, I've never much liked carbonated beverages anyway, and I've always preferred my iced tea without sugar.)

I understand why I have diabetes--both my parents and my brother have it/had it and I have a terrible sweet tooth. I've decided that my liver problems are my "punishment" for never drinking alcohol. I learned at a young age that my body doesn't have the enzyme needed to turn alcohol to sugar after I got a hangover after drinking only two small drinks. If I drink, I go straight to sick--alcohol never makes me feel good or relaxed, so, for me, giving up alcohol is like giving up the pain of getting hit in the head or barfing--no self-control needed!. Thankfully we live in a time when it's no longer considered socially rude not to drink. 

And, I think my liver problems were my "punishment" for trying to control my diabetes. The same day I was diagnosed with diabetes, I changed my diet, and as a result, without counting calories at all, I lost about 2-3 pounds a month, which is considered a "healthy" rate of weight loss. After a couple of years, the weight loss added up to 40 pounds or so. Unfortunately, after about 40 pounds of weight loss I developed serious gall bladder pain and had to have my gall bladder removed last summer. (I'm very glad I had my gall bladder removed when I did, because it turned out to be very inflamed and could have ruptured.) That's when I learned that one thing that can lead to gall bladder problems is rapid weight loss. My weight loss wasn't rapid, but the result was the same. Moral of the story: "No good deed goes unpunished!" (Note: That is a joke, just like all my "punishment" comments--obviously I don't really believe those particular health problems were "punishment"--but sometimes I just have to laugh about the many ironies of life.)

My diet is no fun at all (to put it mildly), but the alternative is worse. The side effects of diabetes include "lovely" thinkgs like blindness. And, my aunt had to have her leg partially amputated when she was only in her 50's. However, being careful about diet (no matter how tough it is) does pay off. Both my parents were diagnosed with diabetes in their late fifties/early 60's, and by controlling their diet, they were able to stave off the side effects of diabetes until they were in their early 80's, and they never experienced some of the worst side effects. I hope I am equally lucky. On the other hand, my brother, who is less than 2 years older than I am, is already losing feeling in his legs, among other side effects. My brother is very bright--he knows exactly what is likely to happen by living the lifestyle he lives. Sadly, past a certain point, we can't live someone else's life for them. :idontknow:

Sorry for hijacking this thread with a diabetes "essay." If God has given you the wonderful gift of being able to eat sweets, thank Him, and appreciate every delicious bite!

Sister Christina--Don't stop posting your recipes--they look great! (And easy!) And, this recipe reflects your Franciscan vow of poverty by making use of something like melted ice cream that might otherwise be wasted. No one forced me to read this recipe, and just because I can't eat it myself doesn't mean that the majority of Phatmassers shouldn't benefit from your baking expertise! Note to younger Phatmassers: Even if there are things you don't like about your body (nearly everyone of whatever age feels that way at least sometimes), as you enjoy desserts (or whatever your favorite foods are), remember to thank God for the wonderful gift he has given you. Especially as you eat dessert, stop a minute and savor the experience, because at some point virtually everyone has to limit what or how much they eat (especially desserts) for the sake of their health. My hope for all of you is that this happens later rather than sooner!

AveMariaPurissima

And a few more, also from the Mt. Thabor Dominicans (now that I figured out how to post pictures!)...

09%20Fun.jpg

11159525_1076258302390918_67505141938628

10436132_906845212665562_789962302097304

sr.christinaosf

A group is coming in to have bingo for our residents this afternoon (elderly and disabled adults that we provide a home for here).  They might just have cake too.  

sr.christinaosf

There surely can be too many opportunities for dessert around.  One has to practice saying no.

Speaking of desserts and poverty in convents, you know they take poverty/not wasting anything seriously when there is still Easter candy around several months after Easter.  This means both active and cloistered communities btw. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

Speaking of desserts and poverty in convents, you know they take poverty/not wasting anything seriously when there is still Easter candy around several months after Easter.  This means both active and cloistered communities btw. 

​Wow, that is self-control! If I saw candy left over from the holidays, it would be a VERY strong test of my self-control not to eat it. (After all, we wouldn't want the candy to "go bad" or for the mice or ants to find it. :rolleyes: )

When I was growing up, I had an older brother who was (and is) quite tall and had a huge appetite as a teenager. My mother would only go shopping once a week, and when there were treats like ice cream in the freezer, she'd say, "When it's gone, it's gone." So I learned that if there was something I liked, I needed to eat it FAST or I wouldn't get my share. I have now lived alone for longer than I lived at home growing up, and I still have trouble not eating my "favorites" from my groceries right after I bring them home.

Living alone has some big drawbacks, but one of the best things is that if you leave a piece of pie in the refrigerator when you go to bed, you know it will still be there the next morning--I used to love pie for breakfast (those days are sadly over :(). Of course, the pie still being there in the morning assumes that I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with a craving for pie. :) (I wasn't exaggerating when I said I had--okay, still have--a very bad "sweet tooth"! It's a constant battle for me.)

However, I living in Community must certainly help with this. If candy is there one day and is gone the next, no one is going to believe that the "candy elf" took the candy. (This is the same elf that steals one sock from a pair in the dryer.) And, if the Community knew me at all, if there was candy missing, I would definitely be the first person asked about the candy's mysterious "disappearance." :)

​96!!!  Oh I bet she has a ton of interesting stories to tell and fantastic advice to give!!!

​Amazing!  Still able to stand :)!   Does anyone know where she lives?  It looks like a cloister.

I can't LIVE with sweets around.  My solution is not to buy them at all.  Right this very minute, I have two pieces of homemade and home grown cherry pie in the 'frig!  DH will eat one, I hope, and I have offered a friend the other.

Edited by Yaatee
extra space

AveMariaPurissima

​96!!!  Oh I bet she has a ton of interesting stories to tell and fantastic advice to give!!!

​Amazing!  Still able to stand :)!   Does anyone know where she lives?  It looks like a cloister.

This lovely sister is a Mount Tabor dominican

​Yes, this is Sr. Martin of the Mt. Thabor Dominicans. :) She is holy, wise, sweet, and has a great sense of humor -- I just love her to pieces! :heart: God willing she will be turning 97 next month!!

I can't LIVE with sweets around.  My solution is not to buy them at all.  Right this very minute, I have two pieces of homemade and home grown cherry pie in the 'frig!  DH will eat one, I hope, and I have offered a friend the other.

​Well, I failed again!  Friend refused her slice, so I choked it down.  *Sigh*.

​Wow, that is self-control! If I saw candy left over from the holidays, it would be a VERY strong test of my self-control not to eat it. (After all, we wouldn't want the candy to "go bad" or for the mice or ants to find it. :rolleyes: )

Living alone has some big drawbacks, but one of the best things is that if you leave a piece of pie in the refrigerator when you go to bed, you know it will still be there the next morning--I used to love pie for breakfast (those days are sadly over :(). Of course, the pie still being there in the morning assumes that I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with a craving for pie. :) (I wasn't exaggerating when I said I had--okay, still have--a very bad "sweet tooth"! It's a constant battle for me.)

However, I living in Community must certainly help with this. If candy is there one day and is gone the next, no one is going to believe that the "candy elf" took the candy. (This is the same elf that steals one sock from a pair in the dryer.) And, if the Community knew me at all, if there was candy missing, I would definitely be the first person asked about the candy's mysterious "disappearance." :)

​I suspect the reason there is candy left over from the holidays  is twofold.  One, they got too much candy and are all candied out, and two the left over stuff is the less appealing kind.

Mmmmm breakfast pie,  I have had this myself and am glad Im not the only one!

NadaTeTurbe

​Yes, this is Sr. Martin of the Mt. Thabor Dominicans. :) She is holy, wise, sweet, and has a great sense of humor -- I just love her to pieces! :heart: God willing she will be turning 97 next month!!

​All this sisters are so joyful ! And the community is blessed with many old sisters... It must be a pleasure to be here !