An Old School Catholic Message Board

CVs, how do I first introduce myself to the Bishop??

Guest noobie

I've never posted here, but I've seen that there are quite a few consecrated virgins prowling the boards. I want to be a CV too! But I can't get an appointment to see my local Bishop without a letter saying why I want to see him in the first place...(=_=|| I really don't know how to even begin, I'm not formal. I hate that "Your Hollinessness" "With insincereness, more names than I ever actually use" stuff. I'd rather shoot an email more along the lines of " Hey, I want to do this, call me" but I'm sure that would be ignored.... Please help??

• 2 weeks later...
Basilisa Marie

Write him a letter and just address him as "Your Excellency."  Then just tell him frankly that you want to be a consecrated virgin, why you want to be consecrated, what led you to this decision, and information about how to contact you. Simple. :) 

• 1 month later...
AccountDeleted

I've never posted here, but I've seen that there are quite a few consecrated virgins prowling the boards. I want to be a CV too! But I can't get an appointment to see my local Bishop without a letter saying why I want to see him in the first place...(=_=|| I really don't know how to even begin, I'm not formal. I hate that "Your Hollinessness" "With insincereness, more names than I ever actually use" stuff. I'd rather shoot an email more along the lines of " Hey, I want to do this, call me" but I'm sure that would be ignored.... Please help??

Well, the times I have met Archbishops, I have just gone up to them after a Mass where they are and introduced myself. They usually try to be friendly and say a few social nothings, so, in my case I wanted to be a hermit, I asked him about the process. He was great and gave me advice and told me to contact him again after I had lived the life for a year. One of them (in another city), I asked about private vows and he helped me arrange them.

So, if you can get to meet him informally first, then you could follow up with a letter. Depending on what country you are in you address him in different ways, but I don't think any Bishop or Archbishop would be offended if you didn't get the honorific exactly right. Just be respectful and open and let him know how you feel. Ask for advice.