An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secular Institutes

Kateri89

Beatitude, you are in Bethlehem, am I correct? [Waving from my window in Katamonim]

​That's right. :) I think I remember you saying you lived in Katamon. Some friends of mine used to live there on Kaf Tet b'November. PM doesn't seem to work for me any more but if you ever have any free time on Wednesday afternoons perhaps we could meet for a cup of tea - I'm often in the Emek Refaim area then.

Petitpelerin, there are not many members of the secular institute still living in the US. I am in touch with one woman by e-mail, but as I'm from the UK myself, my main links are with women in France (where the institute was founded). Luckily it's a swift journey on the train from London, so I can visit them when I'm home, and the spirituality of the institute is pretty well adapted to lone members - Bl. Charles always wanted companions but they didn't come until after his death, and he lived and ministered alone. So even though I can't see people who are leading the same life as regularly as I would like, I don't feel it hinders me.

petitpèlerin

Petitpelerin, there are not many members of the secular institute still living in the US. I am in touch with one woman by e-mail, but as I'm from the UK myself, my main links are with women in France (where the institute was founded). Luckily it's a swift journey on the train from London, so I can visit them when I'm home, and the spirituality of the institute is pretty well adapted to lone members - Bl. Charles always wanted companions but they didn't come until after his death, and he lived and ministered alone. So even though I can't see people who are leading the same life as regularly as I would like, I don't feel it hinders me.

Thanks. Wow, that sounds just like my life. If religious life isn't for me then maybe I would consider it.

​That's right. :) I think I remember you saying you lived in Katamon. Some friends of mine used to live there on Kaf Tet b'November. PM doesn't seem to work for me any more but if you ever have any free time on Wednesday afternoons perhaps we could meet for a cup of tea - I'm often in the Emek Refaim area then.

Email me at sarahm at actcom dot co dot il and let's make a date!  (I too have problems with PM)

oratefratres

Can I ask some question

Can men join a secular institute?

What is the difference of religious who live in normal houses in cities and do not wear a habit, and a member of a secular institute? Both are hidden in leaven.

Do you feel lonely having no one around who is of your order?

• 3 weeks later...
AgnesHolyInnocents

I find this very interesting. I joined a third order, so I am a lay member. If I had joined a Carmelite secular institute, I'd be a consecrated religious within the church, making a public vow, but living my life in my own home? I think lay people make their vow within the church too? I guess I am hoping for more clarity.      I'm confused how a secular Carmelite living in the world is different than a lay Carmelite living in the world. 

I hope you'll write back soon:)  I don't know why this is new to me, but it is. I feel like a terrible Catholic! Does your vow mean that you are like a nun, living in the world? 

• 2 years later...
On 6/13/2015 at 9:23 AM, beatitude said:

Notre Dame de Vie (Carmelite, present in several countries). They have a very detailed site and a good FAQ page. They are unusual among secular institutes in that members receive two years of solid formation in community before they return to their ordinary lives.

Are there any other secular institutes that have formation in community?

The link opened up for me as PAGE NOT FOUND.  I found a link here:

http://www.notredamedevie.org/who-are-we/a-secular-institute/

There are no communities in Australia however.  It was very interesting that the insitute is open to male membership and as consecrated men.

I did not really have a close look at the site nor could highlight anything on the site for copy and paste purposes.

Thank you, Ira, for posting very interesting info..........and a big welcome to the Phatmass Phamily :) 

• 1 month later...
gloriana35

This is merely a question - I am not looking into such a way of life for myself. Though I don't know how many members secular institutes had, I remember various writings about the topic some years ago.

Are members still required to keep their membership, and the fact that they live a vowed life, secret?

No. Some institutes recommend discretion (as in, you don't go out of your way to advertise what you are) but to the best of my knowledge none require secrecy. I'm not sure if any ever have - members of the earliest secular institutes sometimes wore habits, even, and it would be a bit difficult to keep that on the downlow. ;)

• 1 year later...

I am late to this party by several years but I noticed "Beatitudes" commentary on secular Institutes was very well explained as I am a part of a secular Institute called Caritas Christi. All I know about the Schoenstatt Sisters is that even though they dress and act like religious in a way their consecration is different because they make contracts and not vows and aren't bound to their contracts and that's what makes them secular in nature because they want to show to the world they don't need the finality of a vow to keep their promises to God.

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2015 at 2:23 AM, beatitude said:

I'm listing the three secular institutes that I have discerned with so people can read more if they would like to. I won't comment on any institute that I haven't had personal contact with, but here is the main directory of secular institutes in the US.

The Leaven (Carmelite, based in the UK). I can vouch for them as being kind and helpful, willing to answer any questions. :) They were my introduction to this way of life.

Notre Dame de Vie (Carmelite, present in several countries). They have a very detailed site and a good FAQ page. They are unusual among secular institutes in that members receive two years of solid formation in community before they return to their ordinary lives.

Jesus Caritas Fraternity (in the tradition of Bl. Charles de Foucauld, present in several countries). Their main site is mostly in French, but here is some good info in English (although the contact details are out of date). Even though website maintenance isn't a particular strength, this is a terrific institute. To paraphrase the Bible, I have "listed the best at the last". :whistle:

Hi beatitudes! Do you have any updated contact info for Jesus Caritas?  Thank you!!!