An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading

HopefulHeart

HopefulHeart

I enjoy catching up on my leisure reading once school is done for the summer. So far I have read two books.

Far from the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy. I read it right after seeing the recent movie, so I already knew all of the major plot points. Still, I found it generally enjoyable, and I appreciated Hardy's beautiful prose.

The Inimitable Jeeves, by P.G. Wodehouse. This was my first foray into the Jeeves and Wooster books, and I enjoyed it immensely! The situations and first-person narrative were often hilarious. I loved the British slang!

I am now reading Frederica, by Georgette Heyer. (Yes, I do like my British fiction. ;))

What are you reading over the summer?

Edited by HopefulHeart

Nihil Obstat

Oh man, I hate Hardy so much. :P Tess of the D'Urbervilles as one of the worst books I have ever read.

PhuturePriest

I'm reading Harry Potter one last time before the Pause Program, but other than that, I've been reading Behold, Your Mother by Tim Staples. It's quite the read, and I recommend it to everyone. 

Not The Philosopher

I've been reading Isaac Asimov's Robot novels. In the middle of the third one right now.

I've also been slowly making my way through Le Morte D'Arthur.

There are some Discworld novels on my shelf that I want to crack open, and On Stranger Tides is also calling my name. And I've got the first Lensman novel on my kindle and---

There's always a backlog of books to read for me.

MarysLittleFlower

I'm reading Harry Potter one last time before the Pause Program, but other than that, I've been reading Behold, Your Mother by Tim Staples. It's quite the read, and I recommend it to everyone. 

at the risk of a possible Harry Potter debate...:o I used to be a big fan but then got uncomfortable with it. Specifically how it makes witches into "good characters" who have some good traits but then do witchcraft too. I keep having to tell my students... No such thing as a good witch!

Never read Behold, Your Mother, but that sounds good :D

PhuturePriest

at the risk of a possible Harry Potter debate...:o I used to be a big fan but then got uncomfortable with it. Specifically how it makes witches into "good characters" who have some good traits but then do witchcraft too. I keep having to tell my students... No such thing as a good witch!

Never read Behold, Your Mother, but that sounds good :D

​Here's an explanation by a Dominican Priest on why Harry Potter isn't of the devil. :P

NadaTeTurbe

This morning I finished

Wild Swans : Three daughters of China by Jung Chang. It's the story of tree generation of Chinese, and it shows the story of the country. I have learn a lot, but... It's so horrible... You think the horror will stop, but no. Poor country, poor family. 

I also try to read often books in foreign language. I read Pride and Prejudice in english. It was easy to understand but I knew it by heart :P I read Quinteto de Buenos Aires by Manuel Vazquez Montalban. I love this author, but it's hard spanish. 

On my reading list for the moment : 

Gone with the wind, Margaret Mitchett. When I was young I loved "La bicyclette bleue", a french book, and I later learned that the author copied the story of GOne with the wind, so I will try 

Escape from camp 14. One man's remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West. (no, I'm not doing a "communist dictatorship in Asia" theme...) 

Histoire des sorcières et sorciers dans le sud ouest. It's a book about witch in my part of France; I'm curious about it. 

Stephen King : Misery, and Different seasons. I love Stephen King

On religious book, I'm reading the story of Soeur Emmanuelle, a french sister who helped the trash collectors in Cairo, Egypt. 

Also, since one year, I'm reading "Assimil Hébreux" (to learn hebrew), and I both hate and love this book :P 

MarysLittleFlower

​Here's an explanation by a Dominican Priest on why Harry Potter isn't of the devil. :P

My priests told me to avoid HP :) 

Nihil Obstat

I just picked up that new English translation of Bellarmine's "On the Roman Pontiff" books 1-3 or something. Looks very good.

IgnatiusofLoyola

My priests told me to avoid HP :) 

​Huh? I always thought that the controversy about HP was limited to illiterate Evangelical Protestants. :idontknow:

Last I heard, witches aren't real. 

Currently making slow progress on a few books (I need to stop reading multiple books at once, takes forever to finish one):

"Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928" by Stephen Kotkin, recent biography that focuses more on the world Stalin acted in than on Stalin the person. Good stuff if you want to understand the global context of the Russian Revolution, going back the days of Stalin's birth and before.

"Middlemarch" by George Eliot - Great novel about vocation

"The Prelude" - Long autobiographical poem by Wordsworth

"The Enneads" - Plotinus, 3rd-century Neoplatonist pagan philosopher

PhuturePriest

​Huh? I always thought that the controversy about HP was limited to illiterate Evangelical Protestants. :idontknow:

Last I heard, witches aren't real. 

​Well, witches do exist, actually. Witchcraft is a real thing. But this is all besides the point. 

I have many books in my library that I plan to read, Evidence of Satan in the Modern World and Saint of the Immaculata being two of them.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I know that people CLAIM to be witches, but that doesn't mean that their spells actually work (any more than the spells in HP are real).

I could claim to be a bird, but that doesn't mean I could fly.