An Old School Catholic Message Board

Founder of LifeTeen Excommunicated

PhuturePriest

dominicansoul

recently my hometown parish had a "life teen" movement.  they decided to use the 11:30 Mass as their "youth" mass complete with a rock band and praise and worship session within the Mass.  apparently Father had been upset that several highschool youth decided to go to Promised Land non=denominational church for what they considered "an exciting worship" instead of Mass.  So what does Father do?  He brings "Promised Land" kind of worship to our parish to keep the teens there.  

I was like, "why don't you just implement the Latin Mass here Father?  none of these kids would leave."  lol

8 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

I was like, "why don't you just implement the Latin Mass here Father?  none of these kids would leave."  lol

Well lots of them probably would leave, but I'm sure you were joking.

I got involved in this type of worship as a teen. It felt good at the moment, but this type of worship and the theology typically associated with it did not sustain me as I got into my college years.

There's nothing to really transition you out of that "youth group" phase. You either get married, become a nun or a priest, or figure things out on your own. I just don't get the rationale of keeping teen numbers up but not giving them the tools for long-term success in the faith. It's a giant set-up.

Nihil Obstat
14 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

There's nothing to really transition you out of that "youth group" phase. You either get married, become a nun or a priest, or figure things out on your own. I just don't get the rationale of keeping teen numbers up but not giving them the tools for long-term success in the faith. It's a giant set-up.

To be fair, most of them just stop practicing entirely. :| So yes, there is not a lot of long-term success there.

yeah but it's a chicken or the egg type scenario. Do young adults stop practicing because there is no outreach for young adults, or is there no outreach for young adults because there are very few young adults who practice? Probably a little bit of both.

In any case, I think LifeTeen is stupid, but I think most things are stupid right now.

Nihil Obstat
2 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

yeah but it's a chicken or the egg type scenario. Do young adults stop practicing because there is no outreach for young adults, or is there no outreach for young adults because there are very few young adults who practice? Probably a little bit of both.

In any case, I think LifeTeen is stupid, but I think most things are stupid right now.

Personally I would go with neither. The outreach is there, more or less, but it is garbage. We do not need outreach so much as we need authenticity.