An Old School Catholic Message Board

2015 Entrances / Novices

Luigi

The Boston Carmel - seven nuns - has received two novices this year. This community is in the Roxbury section of Boston, which is apparently pretty rough, but the nuns have stayed. Here's the blurb from their Spring/Summer 2015 newsletter.

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow! We have a new member! Aileen Chua entered on March 12. She is doing very well and adds new life to our community. She is also waiting for a companion in the novitiate who will enter on July 13. ... Does it need to be said that we are very happy to be increasing and multiplying?" 

This is actually a community of eight nuns, not seven as I originally posted. And the "companion" novice did arrive earlier this month. Here's a group picture. http://carmelitesofboston.org/about-us/meet-the-sisters/ 

Spem in alium

Someone I know who entered the Nashville Dominicans last year has, I believe, just been clothed in the Dominican habit and will be starting her canonical year. I tried to hunt for photos but there was nothing. 

And this is a pic from my acceptance ceremony as a candidate on the Feast of the Holy Family, where I received these symbolic items. It is my hope, and I believe God's will, that I apply for postulancy at the end of the year - at that time I'll officially become a member of the congregation, and "Sister ---". 

gifts.jpg

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr. Maria is becoming a novice on August 8th! She began her retreat today!

TheresaThoma

There is a young adult Mass event that I attend and this past week they had everyone who is entering the seminary or religious life come up. For the women we have one entering the Sisters of Life, one entering the Nashville Dominicans, one entering the Mercedarians of the Blessed Sacrament. For the guys there are three new seminarians! It was really beautiful.

St. Procopius Benedictine abbey in Lisle, IL has received a novice. 

Br. Elias enters novitiate

?siteId=104049952&memberId=104049951&siz Posted by Abbot Austin on July 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM  

Taking the name Elias and being clothed in the monastic habit, Mark Dicosola entered the novitiate on Sunday, July 4th, during Solemn Vespers on the solemnity of St. Procopius. Br. Elias has spent the last four and a half month as a postulant at the abbey, taking classes and doing various assignments. During the novitiate he will also take classes and have various assignments, but it will be a more intense and focused time to learn the monastic practices, spirituality, and history of St. Procopius Abbey. Please keep Br. Elias in your prayers.

At the Carmelite monastery in St. Louis...

"On June 12, the Feast of the Sacred Heart, Sr. Maria Battista made her first vows."

There are a couple of photos in the rotating slide show on the web site. Those photos also show a postulant.

If you click on the 'Community' link, you'll see a group photo of all the nuns - nine black veils, four white veils, and one short-white-veil. The woman who made first vows must be that short-white-veil in the group photo. Which would mean the community now has nine black veils and five white veils.

The postulant playing the violin must not be in the group photo, which means the community is actually one person larger than the group photo indicates. 

All of which is good. 
Edited by Luigi

Spem in alium

The girl I knew who entered the Nashville Dominicans has now begun her novitiate, taking the name Sister Mariam. Thanks be to God!

The girl I knew who entered the Nashville Dominicans has now begun her novitiate, taking the name Sister Mariam. Thanks be to God!

Huzzah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mount Angel Benedictine Abbey in Oregon: 

7 postulants invested as novices (7 September, 2015)

2 simple professions (8 September)

2 solemn professions (14 September) 

(3 solemn professions in 2014, 14 September)

This joint is jumping!