An Old School Catholic Message Board

Periscope

franciscanheart

Credo in Deum

I feel people believe they're more interesting than they really are.  While I like the idea and see it as being a useful tool with staying connected with family and friends for special moments, I find however, that the majority will probably use it as a tool to boost their egos (hence the collecting hearts part).  

"OMP, I can't believe like Jenny has more hearts than me!! That's totally ridic! I better take more selfies! YOLO"-- *duckface duckface duckface*

In conclusion:  People have too much time on their hands.

franciscanheart

You wouldn't take selfies with Periscope... I take it you haven't used the app?

Credo in Deum

Maybe I'm behind the terms.  You would post selfie like live videos of yourself.  Whatever those are called.  Duck faces still apply.

Also to answer your question: No, I have not used it.  I have researched it and found it not worth my time.

Edited by Credo in Deum

franciscanheart

Not necessarily of yourself, but yes, you are broadcasting. I've watched protests and campaign rallies, listened to poetry (and the history of poetry), taken a visit to the Eiffel Tower, and watched a street performer in Rome. One of my favorite broadcasters takes a walk through Paris nightly. It's beautiful and I get to visit the Louvre every day. I also watched the filming of a scene in the new James Bond movie. That was kind of cool.

I totally get that it won't be for everyone, but I'm enjoying a lot of it.

Credo in Deum

Not necessarily of yourself, but yes, you are broadcasting. I've watched protests and campaign rallies, listened to poetry (and the history of poetry), taken a visit to the Eiffel Tower, and watched a street performer in Rome. One of my favorite broadcasters takes a walk through Paris nightly. It's beautiful and I get to visit the Louvre every day. I also watched the filming of a scene in the new James Bond movie. That was kind of cool.

I totally get that it won't be for everyone, but I'm enjoying a lot of it.

I'm happy it's working out for you. Those sound like nice things.  You should post some of the people you follow so others who use it can find their feeds. 

franciscanheart

I'm happy it's working out for you. Those sound like nice things.  You should post some of the people you follow so others who use it can find their feeds. 

​Good idea!

The Paris walker is @clairewad. She's very kind and lots of fun.

@zoelaughlin was the Bond broadcaster. I learned today that she likes to do crossword puzzles with people on Periscope. She's also very kind and kinda silly. I think she did something last night with DNA extraction or something. (Don't know, didn't see it.)

@EuroMaestro is well-liked by the community and he's done tours in London and in Paris. He was near @clairewad tonight in Paris showing us a boat ride down the canal and a street performer tossing fire.

@mrsf5 is a local (for me) and she visits lots of cool spots in the city. She was recently at the Nasher Sculture Center and showed us the gardens there (which is one of my favorite spots in the city).

@Omaniblog is the poetry guy. He's very sweet and knows a lot about poetry. He read some beautiful stuff earlier today.

@JasonStolken was recommended to me today but I haven't watched any of his broadcasts yet.

Those are a few I enjoy. :) Anyone else on Periscope? I saw phatmass has an account!

franciscanheart

Oh I meant to mention that I follow a lot of Swedes. It's been fun, but I know not everyone will want to go to the bus stop with a random Swede! (This has motivated me to write my pen pal again. Wrote once and failed to write again. I stink!)

I like it, and sometimes use it to broadcast myself trying to get my kids asleep.

You should follow Jim Gaffigan and his wife. She said "phatmass" last night while riding home in a cab. They also answered my question of "Novus Ordo vs Traditional?" lol

franciscanheart

I like it, and sometimes use it to broadcast myself trying to get my kids asleep.

You should follow Jim Gaffigan and his wife. She said "phatmass" last night while riding home in a cab. They also answered my question of "Novus Ordo vs Traditional?" lol

​Amazing! I will follow. :) I'm about to watch your replay from last night...

It sounds like the Android version is having a lot of troubles - I'll wait to download it until they get some kinks worked out. 

franciscanheart

The iOS version did too but we just got a release yesterday. I can't wait for you to join and see all I'm seeing! I got to watch some very traditional Swedish midsommar festivities today and I visited Paris as usual. The Louvre is amazing. I love the pyramid!

franciscanheart

How do you watch/follow? I don't get this.

Ideally, @Seven77, you download the Periscope app on your smart phone or other device (tablet, for example). You can search for people and add them (using the + symbol) or find people on the globe when they are live. (That's how I found a lot of the people I follow.) Once you follow people, you will have a live feed (and replay) list in the app; it's the first screen that comes up when you open the app.

franciscanheart

Crosswords with Zoe has quickly become one of my favorite things. Love love love.