An Old School Catholic Message Board

Insights from the Life of a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

They have various limitations and disabilities, so we adapt some activities for them. But they have disabilities, so we can't do a lot, it's frustrating. It's just hard to take care of people that we know will never be better and are going to die. When you work with children, homeless, etc... it's "easier" because you know there will be improvements, since they have a whole life to live, when with older people, we sometimes feel like it is not usefull. You can feel that some of them are going to die soon, and I find it hard to cope with this idea. 

sr.christinaosf

You learn to recognize the limitations of your audience.  For example, I have reading hour and Bible study here for our residents.  I've just come to recognize their limitations and interests and always just keep that in mind.  

I like to use about a fifth grade level.  

We're all going to die.  You can help serve them as they get closer to death, help them be better prepared.  

Try to see Christ in them.  Serve Him in serving them.

sr.christinaosf

I just had to share pictures from our Halloween party...I can't upload here but the Facebook link is: https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11260783_1056073391099215_22627705448228164_n.jpg?oh=0ffe2b2e0eeccd089fbb186098d2b3c9&oe=56C27D6B

Or try https://www.facebook.com/280734548633107/photos/pcb.1056074074432480/1056073367765884/?type=3&permPage=1 for more.  

This morning I carved a pumpkin (jack-o-lantern) for tomorrow since its going to be crazy busy for me.

Edited by sr.christinaosf