An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charleston Shooting Suspect (Derailed: Confederate Flag Debate)

Nihil Obstat

​The replacing of this flag was a weird 'democratic' political move.  

They just liked the new flag because it is easier for school children to draw. :|

truthfinder

They just liked the new flag because it is easier for school children to draw. :|

​From wikipedia: "The Canadian Red Ensign continues to be flown by some Canadians, especially monarchists, other traditionalists, those who cherish Canada's British heritage"

Yeah, don't think so: my Canadian flags always turned out horribly. 

Nihil Obstat

​From wikipedia: "The Canadian Red Ensign continues to be flown by some Canadians, especially monarchists, other traditionalists, those who cherish Canada's British heritage"

Yeah, don't think so: my Canadian flags always turned out horribly. 

I bet they fly it at St. John the Evangelist. :hehe:

Sounds like I should fly it myself.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

truthfinder

I bet they fly it at St. John the Evangelist. :hehe:

Sounds like I should fly it myself.

​You should ask around, but I think the someone in the pilgrimage group to Chartres had one. Knew you were turning into a monarchist. 

Nihil Obstat

Meh. The kyokujitsu-ki is still in pretty regular use and as far as I know it is not considered a controversial symbol in Japan.

​Actually, with slightly more research I am finding that the Kyokujitsu-ki is still used by the Maritime Self-Defense Force. And the Ground defense force uses a modified version. So yeah, that is not a good comparison. 

JS13eLY.jpg

I wonder what the reaction among Germans would be if a government building in the eastern part of Germany hoisted this above their grounds:

5e917a54-4a22-4366-a3d8-b5538ca81bf0_zps (flag of Soviet puppet government in Eastern Germany before the fall of the Berlin Wall)

Or what about this one over a government building in Poland? I wonder what Poles would say?

poland_state_flag_1956-1990_zpswbnjeoax. (flag of Soviet puppet government in Poland. The crown traditionally atop the eagle's head was removed)

There's got to be a few veterans of the Pacific front still around. Wonder how they'd feel about the Japanese hoisting this one over Iwo Jima:

imperial%20flag_zpsiht3ddon.png (Imperial flag of Japan, circa WWII)

Or how about the kids whose Dads died to bring down the Imperial regime. I wonder if they would have any strong feelings about the Imperial flag flapping as a celebration of Japanese "heritage" over the soil their people died to liberate. 

Americans are sissies if we roll over and accept this bonkers "heritage" stuff as an excuse to fly the Confederate flag. Ahem, no, you can't fly your flag over government buildings, that is usually a consequence for most everybody if they LOSE A WAR. Dear Sweet Jesus.

​The East German flag isn't really controversial. You can buy them openly and similar stuff from that era. Some people actually miss the culture of the DDR, The far left party has a reasonable number of elected seats, so much so that the government has put them under investigation many times due to concerns over 'constitutional protection'.

9 people get killed by an ignorant and stupid man and we are posting flags over it? Seriously people?

:huh:

You know, comments like that really irk me to no end. I think it needs to be addressed. The flag issue is directly connected to this hate crime. We need to call it what it simply is. We're not talking about merely an ignorant and stupid man, we're talking about an extremely racist and hateful man-- a man who cannot see the humanity of his own brothers and sisters. One of the standards under which he carried out his hate crime was a Confederate flag. It is directly related to his action. Denouncing the Confederate flag as a racist symbol is integral to denouncing this particular  hate crime.

Edited by Seven77

Heritage not Tyranny!

uk.flag.png

Exactly.

You can find the Union Jack in plenty of places in the States; for example, in British pubs, shops selling British stuff, promotions for "British Invasion" rock'n'roll bands, etc.  Yet somehow people manage not to get their panties in a wad about it.  Much less do they freak out about being put back under the yolk of British tyranny, and scream for that flag to be banned.

You know, comments like that really irk me to no end. I think it needs to be addressed. The flag issue is directly connected to this hate crime. We need to call it what it simply is. We're not talking about merely an ignorant and stupid man, we're talking about an extremely racist and hateful man-- a man who cannot see the humanity of his own brothers and sisters. One of the standards under which he carried out his hate crime was a Confederate flag. It is directly related to his action. Denouncing the Confederate flag as a racist symbol is integral to denouncing this particular  hate crime.

And in doing so, we allow the flag to be officially defined by the hateful psychos, when it in fact does not have that meaning for many.  So, in a way, it's a victory for the hateful racists.

Besides, banning the flag or removing all such flags from view will do absolutely nothing whatever to stop or prevent such hateful acts of violence.  It's not like those murders would've been prevented, had only the Confederate flag not been flying at the courthouse at that time.

All that's going on here is politics.

I prefer another X, though I can imagine the reaction if President Obama walked around with this hat on...

Corbis-OUT070428.jpg?size=67&uid=a8f2494

And in doing so, we allow the flag to be officially defined by the hateful psychos, when it in fact does not have that meaning for many.  So, in a way, it's a victory for the hateful racists.

Besides, banning the flag or removing all such flags from view will do absolutely nothing whatever to stop or prevent such hateful acts of violence.  It's not like those murders would've been prevented, had only the Confederate flag not been flying at the courthouse at that time.

All that's going on here is politics.

Unfortunately, that flag was already defined by the hateful psychos---the KKK comes to mind---much like how the swastika was hijacked by Hitler. 

I will say that I find that removing the flag from Civil War Museums, etc., and video games to be a bit unreasonable.