An Old School Catholic Message Board

a really bad situation...

MarysLittleFlower

marriage has many good things about it but its main purpose is procreation,

The Catechism  puts something else first.  "By its very nature it is ordered to the good of the couple, as well as to the generation and education of children." 

It is a way that the spouses make each other holy, and then children as well.  But that is also true of religious life.  It is a path to holiness  and is also procreative in that one must  have and care for spiritual children. 

Just to clarify... Because this objection can be raised... I get we are social creatures and naturally feel a need to be around others and in the context of a family, (so people living alone may get lonely and that's natural) but grace in a supernatural vocation can help to live without a family. I believe God can also help those who are in a situation where they can't be in a family for another reason. 

As baptized Catholics we are in a family, we are adopted sons and daughters of Jesus, and are a part of the mystical body of Christ in the Church.  We separate ourselves for that by sin or by choosing to leave.  In religious life  they are part of their community/order as well. 

MarysLittleFlower

No comment. :) 

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. My apologies!

In this case, I'd say just let her talk about marriage. I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 25, or even under 30, it's perfectly normal these days for you to be focusing on other things aside from marriage. If she brings up marriage, just tell her you haven't met anyone you'd like to marry and then talk about the things you are interested in!

I see what you mean but that would feel like saying a lie, to me :( just because I have made a promise to God. 

MarysLittleFlower

The Catechism  puts something else first.  "By its very nature it is ordered to the good of the couple, as well as to the generation and education of children." 

It is a way that the spouses make each other holy, and then children as well.  But that is also true of religious life.  It is a path to holiness  and is also procreative in that one must  have and care for spiritual children. 

i was referring to some older encyclicals like maybe from Pope Pius XI that talk about procreation being the main reason marriage was made... However as a vocation yes of course it is to help each other become holy. Maybe the Pope meant how people make it about a reason other than those 2. I'll have to look it up to check what he meant..

MarysLittleFlower

As baptized Catholics we are in a family, we are adopted sons and daughters of Jesus, and are a part of the mystical body of Christ in the Church.  We separate ourselves for that by sin or by choosing to leave.  In religious life  they are part of their community/order as well. 

of course that is true :) I meant how people say we have a need for a natural family but might not acknowledge that grace can dispose to a supernatural vocation and spiritual relationships