An Old School Catholic Message Board

who killed to Jesus?

John Naing Naing

• 2 weeks later...

I am hesitant to answer this question, but I think others are as well, so I will state first why I think that is: Throughout history, the question of "Who killed Jesus?" has often been answered: "The Jews killed Jesus." This led to horrible atrocities committed against Jews in the name of Christianity. So this question is a very sensitive one.

To answer it, I'd ask first: "Why does it matter?" If it's so that we can blame someone or some group of people, our intention is all wrong. The important fact is that Jesus offered Himself up in death for us, and rose again, and we are saved by these facts.

Historically speaking, if you read in the Bible, many parties were "responsible" for Christ's death: The Jews did urge Pilate to condemn Him, but Pilate did the condemning, and the nails were driven in by Roman soldiers. And of course, Christ Himself willingly accepted all of this.

So, who really is "responsible"? If you reason as in the preceding paragraph, you might just blame God for His own murder!

But that is absurd. And that shows that that kind of reasoning is the wrong way to go about approaching the question.

Rather, we ought to approach the question spiritually. And the spiritual answer to your question is: We all killed Christ. Our sin made the offering of a sacrifice necessary for our salvation. God, in His infinite mercy, chose to be that sacrifice for our sake. 

So rather than blaming any particular person or group, we ought all to take responsibility for Christ's suffering and death, and offer our infinite gratitude to Him for His willingness to undergo that saving death for our sakes. This we can do through prayer, fasting, and alms-giving, or more fundamentally: by loving God and (ALL) our neighbors with our whole being.