An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about the General Resurrection..

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I'm looking for whatever the authentic Catholic teaching is, not personal opinions, thank you :)

After the Resurrection and in the "new Heaven and new Earth", - is it like we'll all be in Heaven with physical bodies, OR we'll be in a perfect glorified "new earth" with glorified bodies? or are the new Heaven and new Earth blended together somehow?

This is one thing I just always wanted to ask and always forgot. I believe whatever the Church teaches on this in my intent.. I just want to know what it is. Thank you!

MarysLittleFlower

Our glorified bodies are physical bodies. As to new earth vs heaven I am not sure.

I know they are physical... My question is more about the Heaven / earth :) 

Not The Philosopher

My assumption has been that it's not an either/or thing. I'm not sure if there even is any official teaching on this, although I could be wrong.

Edited by Not The Philosopher

Nihil Obstat

From the Catholic Encyclopedia entry on heaven:

In general, however, theologians deem more appropriate that there should be a special and gloriousabode, in which the blessed have their peculiar home and where they usually abide, even though they be free to go about in this world. For the surroundings in the midst of which the blessed have their dwelling must be in accordance with their happy state; and the internal union of charity which joins them in affection must find its outward expression in community of habitation. At the end of the world, the earth together with the celestial bodies will be gloriously transformed into a part of the dwelling-place of the blessed (Revelation 21). Hence there seems to be no sufficient reason for attributing a metaphorical sense to those numerous utterances of the Bible which suggest a definite dwelling-place of the blessed. Theologians, therefore, generally hold that the heaven of the blessed is a special place with definite limits. Naturally, this place is held to exist, not within the earth, but, in accordance with the expressions of Scripture, without and beyond its limits. All further details regarding its locality are quite uncertain. The Church has decided nothing on this subject.

MarysLittleFlower

From the Catholic Encyclopedia entry on heaven:

In general, however, theologians deem more appropriate that there should be a special and gloriousabode, in which the blessed have their peculiar home and where they usually abide, even though they be free to go about in this world. For the surroundings in the midst of which the blessed have their dwelling must be in accordance with their happy state; and the internal union of charity which joins them in affection must find its outward expression in community of habitation. At the end of the world, the earth together with the celestial bodies will be gloriously transformed into a part of the dwelling-place of the blessed (Revelation 21). Hence there seems to be no sufficient reason for attributing a metaphorical sense to those numerous utterances of the Bible which suggest a definite dwelling-place of the blessed. Theologians, therefore, generally hold that the heaven of the blessed is a special place with definite limits. Naturally, this place is held to exist, not within the earth, but, in accordance with the expressions of Scripture, without and beyond its limits. All further details regarding its locality are quite uncertain. The Church has decided nothing on this subject.

Interesting.. I'm having trouble understanding what it says though :)

julianneoflongbeach

Basically, they're isn't an actual definitive teaching on this from the Church, you can interpret it how you like as long as it fits with the rest of dogma.

For instance, the Bible says that there will be a new heaven and a new earth and that God will dwell on earth and be it's lights (basically). I take that to mean that because God dwells on Earth, the earth and heaven are made new for they are no longer separate places but one.

No real way to know until it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to think that in the afterlife, the blessed will be able to go all over the new heaven/earth, anywhere in the glorified universe… heaven proper, New York City, or Saturn…

• 3 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

All catholics and church sympathizers will be jedis, and the rest of humanity will spread across the universe over hundreds of thousands of years, but the dojo of the jedi will be on earth and the jedis will be able to retreat there and rejuvenate there state whenever needed. lol :P possible true story.

"No eye has seen nore ear has heard that which has been prepared for those whom love the LORD."

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye