An Old School Catholic Message Board

killing animals question

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

A non gay thread :o. :P  I understand its ok in specific cases to kill animals. Ok: for food or clothing (as necessity... I don't like silly fashions), other needs... Not ethical I think is killing an unwanted litter of puppies, killing out of malice, because people can't be bothered to help the animal etc. But I did have two questions... If an animal is so hurt that they just won't heal - is it better to maybe alleviate the pain and let it die naturally? I understand the differences of animals from humans... I'm just talking about them being creatures God made who have a life that He made, though not in His image, with no immortal soul, and we are responsible for them and have authority over them.  .. Is it ok to let an old dog just die naturally? It seems like many people get them euthenized... But was it always so? Thank you!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

julianneoflongbeach

It usually comes to the decision of letting the animal die "naturally" in pain or putting the animal down to end pain. My family has had about a dozen dogs in my lifetime and only a couple died peacefully in their sleep. The rest were put down because they could no longer walk or eat.

I feel that some people who keep their pets alive into advanced old age when they have serious problems are ignoring the pain of the animal and are concentrating on their selfish desire to not be parted from a creature they are attached to.

MarysLittleFlower

It usually comes to the decision of letting the animal die "naturally" in pain or putting the animal down to end pain. My family has had about a dozen dogs in my lifetime and only a couple died peacefully in their sleep. The rest were put down because they could no longer walk or eat.

I feel that some people who keep their pets alive into advanced old age when they have serious problems are ignoring the pain of the animal and are concentrating on their selfish desire to not be parted from a creature they are attached to.

What I'm thinking is there no way to help the animal not feel pain while it being alive?

Credo in Deum

What I'm thinking is there no way to help the animal not feel pain while it being alive?

I'm sure there are ways but not cost effective ways.  One should not bankrupt their family or themselves, causing them to neglect their obligations, simply because they cannot detach themselves from their pets.  

MarysLittleFlower

I'm sure there are ways but not cost effective ways.  One should not bankrupt their family or themselves, causing them to neglect their obligations, simply because they cannot detach themselves from their pets.  

i don't mean going that far but if one is able to..

i don't mean going that far but if one is able to..

If you're able to, then yes, by all means - it makes no sense to euthanise an animal if there is an effective treatment that's readily available to you. We need to be good stewards of the earth, and that includes looking after any animals in our care. For example, the last cat I had came from a rescue shelter and he had Feline Immuodeficiency Virus. Providing he was kept indoors his life expectancy was the same as that of any other cat and there was no reason why he should get sick or be in any pain; if we let him go out he was at risk of picking up some germs and dying. So we kept him indoors. This meant investing in more cat toys and cosy cat baskets than we would have done if we were able to let him outside, as he needed things to keep him active and happy indoors, but the cost for that was reasonable.

Lilllabettt

A non gay thread :o. :P  I understand its ok in specific cases to kill animals. Ok: for food or clothing (as necessity... 

i'm here to stir the pot.

MarysLittleFlower, would you say most people in America need to eat meat as a necessity?

Nihil Obstat

i'm here to stir the pot.

MarysLittleFlower, would you say most people in America need to eat meat as a necessity?

I would say it does not matter, because our stewardship over animals gives us authority to use them for legitimate purposes, one of which has always been as sustenance.

Lilllabettt

yeah I'm not talking about strictly speaking here. Mary's Little Flower says she doesn't like fur fashion. Does she not like eating meat? Because strictly speaking (for most people in most circumstances) killing an animal for its meat is not necessary.

Most people kill and eat animals for pleasure.

Nihil Obstat

Sure there are ways to eat a healthy diet without meat. But meat is a legitimate dietary choice. No further justification is necessary. Meat is good for sustenance, humans tend to like meat, so eat meat. 

Same with fur frankly. It clothes us, so go ahead and use it. Only moral qualm there would be wastefulness or extravagance, more as sins against modesty and our obligation to give alms. Not for the sake of the fur bearing animal.

As long as we are not wasteful we can use all of creation for its intended purposes.

MarysLittleFlower

To answer the question, I kind of agree with Nihil Obstat that meat is a legitimate food choice... But to clarify I'm not against wearing fur for clothes. When I was a child I lived in a country where its customary to wear fur, as it is cold. I had real fur coat as a toddler! In my post I said "silly fashions" :) think of a really silly one whatever it could be. If its just using the remains of an animal that was already used for something else, then using it for something unnecessary is one thing... Killing massive amounts of animals to follow a mere trend, and wasting the rest of the animal after, just seems irresponsible. Animals are killed for usefulness not as something that has no value or throw away - I think. 

julianneoflongbeach

Of course, my "puppy" has bad arthritis in her legs and all up her spine and we give her pain medication every day. But too much runs the risk of shutting down her liver.. See where this is going? I hope e won't have to put her down and she can just die in her sleep, but I'm pessimistic about it. :(

Lilllabettt

Sure there are ways to eat a healthy diet without meat. But meat is a legitimate dietary choice. No further justification is necessary. Meat is good for sustenance, humans tend to like meat, so eat meat. 

Same with fur frankly. It clothes us, so go ahead and use it. Only moral qualm there would be wastefulness or extravagance, more as sins against modesty and our obligation to give alms. Not for the sake of the fur bearing animal.

Right. Some people would see it as extravagant or wasteful to kill an ensouled being when it is not necessary. 

We may never use a human being for any purpose. But animals, are for our use. Ought we use them when nature demands it, or merely when using them gives us pleasure?