An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chocolate Sandwiches

puellapaschalis

IgnatiusofLoyola

I love this entire post, Iggy. Where I live, supermarkets actually sell bags of mixed sweet and salty popcorn.

My mum is a patissiere, so talking about food and dreaming up new inventions is a lifelong hobby. I can vouch for the cheese popcorn, even if it's 'meh' for you - fresh hot popcorn with parmesan grated on top is something I'll eat any day. I've also experimented with spreading out freshly made popcorn on a baking tray and sprinkling on a sugar/cinnamon combo, things like melted chocolate - back to the chocolate again - or maple syrup. To make it worthwhile you HAVE to put salt on first. It's a flavour enhancer as well as being a flavour in its own right. My mum always put a good pinch of salt in any sweet baking. She actually really loves the sweet-salty combination, so includes that in a lot of the pralines she invents. There's a milk chocolate praline with a large flake of seasalt stuck on top like a snowflake. That's delicious. But my favourite is the dark chocolate praline with a flake of salt-cured meat - kind of the Scandi equivalent of jerky. Don't knock it till you've tried it! :)

Your cheese popcorn with parmesan sounds lovely. The cheese popcorn I was talking about that is popular here in Chicago is flavored with American "faux-cheddar" cheese--like a cheeto. Lots of people love cheetos, and I'm not going to diss anyone else's taste, but again, I wasn't raised eating "American" cheese. :idontknow:When I moved to the Midwest, I discovered that people my age in Chicago grew up eating totally different foods than I grew up with. For example, after my parents' divorce we needed new "traditions" so we'd go out for Peking Duck on Thanksgiving. Gotta say, I prefer Peking Duck to turkey. If that makes me a California hippie, so be it. :hippie: 

It is all about the mayo sandwich in my crib.

How does a mayo sandwich taste when you add the mandatory chocolate? ;)

behold, one of the few good things about Dutch culture and Dutch cuisine...

HAGELSLAG!

generations have been raised on bread with hagelslag as breakfast or lunch.

for some reason i cannot post pictures, only links..

De-Ruijter-Hagelslag-Melk.jpg

behold, one of the few good things about Dutch culture and Dutch cuisine...

HAGELSLAG!

generations have been raised on bread with hagelslag as breakfast or lunch.

for some reason i cannot post pictures, only links..

De-Ruijter-Hagelslag-Melk.jpg

Hey look, it worked :)

Hagelslag is some dangerously good stuff. I once found a packet in a convent guesthouse that some Dutchies had left behind. I knew it was going to be good so I made myself wait like 3 days until I was about to leave, and then had a tiny taste. So worth it :) 

(The poor man's equivalent, which I'd been making for years anyway, is buttering a slice of bread and sprinkling cocoa powder and sugar over it. Yuuum!)

puellapaschalis

There's so much good Dutch stuff that you just can't reasonably get over here. So much disappoint.

veritasluxmea

Ugh I'm so hungry rn 

Anyone ever had jelly and cream cheese sandwiches. Once I mentally got used to what I was eating it was good.