An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women's Retreat and the role of Mary

GratefullyCatholic

GratefullyCatholic

Hello,

Earlier this year, I attended a Catholic women's silent retreat. The retreat was a couple days long, and throughout each day, there were a few optional reflections/lectures to attend as well as group prayer. Throughout the entire retreat, there was never one mention of Mary, in the prayers or lectures. I felt a void in this; it seems fitting that she be one of the main focuses in a women's retreat. Why is it that the attention due to Mary is often not given, even among Catholics?

Mary serves as the "most blessed" model and aid for women in their own relationship with the Holy Trinity, but sadly, she seems to be forgotten. 

Please share your thoughts and/or experiences! 

Basilisa Marie

Honestly? I love Mary, I'm part of a Marian devotion group. But I also think that there's more to women's spirituality than Mary. It's fantastic that she's such a large part of your spiritual life! But there's nothing inherently wrong with leaving her out of the retreat. Mary's a model for all Christians, of course, but there are a number of ways to run a retreat and it's ultimately pretty limiting to insist that Mary be a central part of all women's retreats. The idea that Mary is a great model for women (and men) is important, but she'd be perfectly fine if a retreat focused on Christ and didn't really mention her at all. Marian devotion is ultimately all about growing closer to her son.