An Old School Catholic Message Board

A sad end to a great community...

Yaatee

dominicansoul

Notably, the well-advertised Nashville Dominicans and DMME's, both featured strongly in the national media, with their Hollywood-perfect habits...

They are beautiful, aren't they.... :love:

Wow, that's a little passive-aggressive. If you're serious, you have a pretty twisted view of religious life and discernment with those orders. Or maybe I'm just reading your tone wrong. 

Maybe... The Holy Spirit is simply inspiring vocations to orders whose charism is needed for this particular time? I think there have been some beautiful responses here, particularly Beatitude's, which should be seriously considered before forming a viewpoint on the end of this order. 

I like how the sex abuse issue is kind of ignored here. That is a serious, serious problem and if it's not addressed immediately I wouldn't be surprised if it rotted a community to its core. I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing. smh. 

No sorry, I've been around too long.  I think that these two communities in general have a good thing going in their habits, their apostolate, their one mother house  (for the most part), their vocation retreats, their appeal to the nation.  But I also think that once they've attracted all of these nice young women, they are very careful about whom they actually admit.  I do think that they want good sisters and good teachers. 

They are beautiful, aren't they.... :love:

Yes, they are, I admit it!  That nice headpiece. That beautiful long veil. That nice turned sleeve with the undersleeve.  I also think that the sisters-in-training learn deportment, that is, how to look, talk, and walk like a nun.  Great posture, too.  And, you, know, I've never met a fat one.   I have to admit it.

And the Dominicans are smart.  They value book larnin'. 

Edited by Yaatee

He did in this case.  Maybe now, not so much. They were pontifical, and they could have gotten the Vatican involved. In retrospect, I am sorry that they didn't.

Yaatee, the trouble here is that most of your posts are based on "I think" and "I suspect". It's just speculation, and it isn't helpful. None of us were privy to the inner workings of that community, so none of us really know what should and shouldn't have been done.

You seem to be determined to preserve an image of these sisters as champions of the poor and oppressed, fondly remembered by those they served - while skating over the fact that there was a sexual abuse problem among the sisters and that some people they served were left badly hurt by them. That sexual abuse could go on unchecked is a sure sign of internal problems. The sisters undoubtedly did good work and there were many holy faithful women among them. No one here is disputing that. What we're saying is the that picture is more complicated than "Nasty cardinal stops the valuable work of nice nuns".

There is a fine line between speculation and partisan gossip. We see it with other situations too - the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate, for example. People have drawn up their battle-lines, and they come down on one side or the other, firmly convinced that they know all the ins and outs of the story: either the friars are being persecuted or the friars are up to no good. But we don't know. The most charitable thing we can do is to pray and to avoid making judgments based on partial knowledge.

Your tag says that you are non-Catholic ("Spiritual, not religious") and this sometimes shows in how you talk about religious congregations - almost as though they are business corporations that live or die according to how they're managed and how they brand themselves, without any consideration for God's will. Sometimes perfectly solid congregations with nice habits die out too, and there is nothing sinister about that, because it is Christ who is eternal and forever - not every religious community ever founded. New wine (i.e. new times) might call for new skins.

Winchester

This is why Vatican II should not have gotten rid of trial by combat. Thanks,  liberals. 

• Credo in Deum locked this topic
Credo in Deum

I dub this a great end to a sad thread.

I know most of you don't travel outside of VS, which is cool and all, but I will remind you that there is a place on this site for debates.  It's called the Debate Table.  

Edited by Credo in Deum
forgot my is.