An Old School Catholic Message Board

So....back to the debate table...

Yaatee

Beatitude, I am honestly ignorant about allegations of sexual abuse among sisters previously discussed.  Never heard of it.  It's uncommon among female religious, but I don't know even who/what was involved, or how this involved the congregation we were discussing.  There was abuse in Ireland among the so-called "Magdalenes", and other allegations in Ireland, but none that I have heard of in the US.

I say , "I think" and "I suspect" (I guess I say it) because I may not know it, and no one else might either, but they might not use those expressions.

puellapaschalis

Only I've read that the tales of abuse in the Irish Magdalenes were trumped up by bitter old women too. 

Only I've read that the tales of abuse in the Irish Magdalenes were trumped up by bitter old women too. 

Qui sait?

Qui sait?

Well, there's a big article on Wiki with a lot of documentationa. This was more than rumour.

"Magdalene Laundries in Ireland"

But I don't remember hearing or reading anything about sexual abuse involving the IHM's--anywhere, then or now.  And a story like that would have been published somewhere in the US for sure.

truthfinder

Ah, this is where SNAP comes in.  I really don't like the organization, but they've tried repeatedly to get answers about abuse from various female religious communities and have failed.  Somehow the victim narrative of the nuns outweighed the victim narrative of the people (which of course didn't apply at all to priests, at least those who were innocent), and the media has just ignored it.  There have been plenty of abuse allegations in Canada, not only against priests (although those seem to be the majority) but against the nuns who ran the residential schools.  A lot of this has to be taken with a grain of salt, but physical and sexual abuse certainly did happen by religious of both sexes.  

There is a lot of evidence of abuse in Canada, mainly by priests, but also verbal and physical abuse by women religious.  I will take SNAP's word that they couldn't get anything about US women religious from the religious themselves or the laity.  If anyone could get it, they could.

truthfinder

Sorry I haven't been clear. SNAP says there had been abuse by nuns.  but no one will listen because who wants to believe that nuns are also capable of abuse. 

So Enda Kenny as Prime Minister apologised for the Irish State's involvement in this scandal, and a State fund was set up to compensenate these abused women

.......on 'trumped up' charges? 

You need to read a little more widely I suggest, before making such statements.

puellapaschalis

So Enda Kenny as Prime Minister apologised for the Irish State's involvement in this scandal, and a State fund was set up to compensenate these abused women

.......on 'trumped up' charges? 

You need to read a little more widely I suggest, before making such statements.

You have absolutely no idea how much I read on which topics :)

dominicansoul

ohhhhh SNAP! 

I should add that the abuse I am referring to in that particular religious order had to do with abuse amongst the sisters - for instance the novice mistress was having sex with those under her direction. You can imagine how that turned out for the vulnerable new religious. Although sadly I wouldn't be surprised if children were abused at some point in any large organization with disintegrating discipline. 

I think that the abuse of  young women under the control of the Sisters of Mercy (in Ireland) is well-documented.  And the abuse took place even before the girls were placed under the nuns' charge.  Girls were sent to them if they were uncooperative, disruptive, didn't go to church, left home, were trying to avoid an abusive situation elsewhere, a variety of reasons.

veritasluxmea

What seems most unsettling to me about this whole affair is that after the Cardinal's requests/demands/refusals/whatever most of the sisters up and left the order. That is very telling, and not in a good way.