An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic movies

Julie de Sales

Julie de Sales

I have a lot of free time and I would like to watch some good movies, preferably with priests/nuns, other than The Nun's Story and Sister Act. Any suggestions?

sr.christinaosf

I just thought of that - the Bells of St. Mary's

How about  - Trouble with Angels, Lilies of the Field, the Staircase, and the Sound of Music?

Rather than focusing on movies, would you ever like to take up a hobby or volunteer experience that would benefit others (e.g.,  volunteering in your parish or homeless shelter) - this might be a better use of time than watching tons of movies. 

Edited by sr.christinaosf

HopefulHeart

Going My Way

The Reluctant Saint

The Keys of the Kingdom

A Man for All Seasons

I Confess

The Song of Bernadette

St. Teresa of Avila (the Spanish mini-series)

MarysLittleFlower

St Teresa of the Andes miniseries from Ignatius Press and St Teresa of Avila miniseries :) Padre Pio Miracle Man is a great movie!!!

Sr. MMcM RSCJ

Dead Man Walking is a moving account of Sr. Helen Prejean's accompaniment of a young man on Death Row--and then of her connection with the grieving family of the persons the young man murdered.

Roses in December recounts the story of the four women murdered/martyred in El Salvador--three Women Religious and their lay Maryknoller coworker.

"In this House of Brede" (made for TV, but Ignatius Press has distributed the DVD).

There are several good movies about Therese (the Little Flower).  How about Song of Bernadette?

"Brides of Christ" is a very good Australian miniseries that tells of religious life right after Vatican II. I have the DVDs. And I would highly recommend "Call the Midwife"--which is about Anglican sisters in London and their lay companions.  It's on PBS, but the first 3 or 4 seasons are on Netflix.

"Come to the Stable"--fictionalized account of the founding of Regina Laudis monastery in Connecticut.

I also strongly recommend "Dead Man Walking"!

julianneoflongbeach

My top favs are:

The Trouble With Angels

A Man For All Seasons

The Scarlet And The Black

For Greater Glory

The Rite

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose

The Mission, 1986, starring Jeremy Irons. won an Oscar for cinematography and 14 other awards.

I just thought of that - the Bells of St. Mary's

How about  - Trouble with Angels, Lilies of the Field, the Staircase, and the Sound of Music?

Rather than focusing on movies, would you ever like to take up a hobby or volunteer experience that would benefit others (e.g.,  volunteering in your parish or homeless shelter) - this might be a better use of time than watching tons of movies. 

Why not do both? :)  After all, remember Ecclesiastes: "To every thing there is a season..."

"Blackrobe" - historically accurate, linguistically accurate (French people speak French, English people speak English, Hurons speak their language, etc.), about a naive Jesuit coming to New York-Canada area as a missionary. Some graphic violence and sex, but also highly accurate (culturally) and necessary for the plot. 

Credo in Deum

The Cardinal

Of Gods and Men

Becket

A Man For All Seasons

The Assisi Underground 

The Scarlet and the Black

Padre Pio: Miracle Man

Molokai: The Story of Fr. Damien 

John Paul II. (With Cary Elwes as a young JPII and John Voit as older JPII)

Saint Phili Neri: By Ignatius Press

St. John Bosco: By Ignatius Press

The Reluctant Saint

Marcelino Pan Y Vino

For Greater Glory

Romero

There Be Dragons

Edited by Credo in Deum

miserere55

Yes, for sure see This House of Brede.     Another great movie is Brother Sun, Sister moon.........the life of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Clare.