An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic movies

Julie de Sales

dominicansoul

"Bakhita" is one of my new favorites!

also, "Molokai" the story of St. Damien.  You will be in tears! Such a beautiful example of true love:  Love that demands sacrifice;  St. Damien didn't spare his life to help those who were hated and feared by their community...

sr.christinaosf

Start at the beginning. The Bells of St. Mary's. 

Speaking of the Bells of St. Mary's - I'm a bit stumped.  I'm working on an article about bell-ringing at Mass and was going to reference the lyrics of the Bells of St. Mary's.  When I searched online for the lyrics what I found (in more than one place) doesn't match the words in the video clip of Bing Crosby.  Is there more than one scene in the 1945 movie with different words or what? 

Speaking of the Bells of St. Mary's - I'm a bit stumped.  I'm working on an article about bell-ringing at Mass and was going to reference the lyrics of the Bells of St. Mary's.  When I searched online for the lyrics what I found (in more than one place) doesn't match the words in the video clip of Bing Crosby.  Is there more than one scene in the 1945 movie with different words or what? 

I think that there are two movies involving priests/nuns, "Going My Way", and "The Bells of St. Mary's".  Ingrid Bergman is a nun in one of them. Bing Crosby is a priest, and I think that they are in the same one, and I thought that it was "Bells".  but these matters are abstruse and difficult (;), and I defer to the experts.

Swami Mommy

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison with Deborah Kerr

Black Narcissus with Deborah Kerr

Change of Habit with Mary Tyler Moore and Elvis Presley

The Singing Nun with Debbie Reynolds

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison with Deborah Kerr

Of the list you posted Ive only seen that one but its a good one and I definitely second the recommendation. 

puellapaschalis

Dialogues of the Carmelites is an excellent thing to watch yesterday, 14th July. Well it's a good film anyway, but particularly on the day (I suppose one amongst many these days) which is misrepresented to and by very many people.

Julie de Sales

It's well worth reading as a play too.

I did, Georges Bernanos is one of my favourite writers ;)

I would like to argue against Brother Sun Sister Moon actually. It turns St Francis of Assissi into a 13th century hippee and Pope Innocent III the most politically powerful pope in teh history of the papacy into a silly old fool. There was one that was distributed by Ignatius Press a few years ago that was far more historically accurate. Brother SunSister Moon does have good cinematography though.

I just thought of that - the Bells of St. Mary's

How about  - Trouble with Angels, Lilies of the Field, the Staircase, and the Sound of Music?

Rather than focusing on movies, would you ever like to take up a hobby or volunteer experience that would benefit others (e.g.,  volunteering in your parish or homeless shelter) - this might be a better use of time than watching tons of movies. 

Also Where Angels go Trouble follows with  Sister George (Stella Stevens), who  challenges the ideas of her conservative Mother Superior (Rosalind Russell). It was a cute movie.

Credo in Deum

I would like to argue against Brother Sun Sister Moon actually. It turns St Francis of Assissi into a 13th century hippee and Pope Innocent III the most politically powerful pope in teh history of the papacy into a silly old fool. There was one that was distributed by Ignatius Press a few years ago that was far more historically accurate. Brother SunSister Moon does have good cinematography though.

I really enjoyed the one from Ignatius Press as well.  I love watching them in Italian since the dubbed over English sounds and looks cheesy. 

Saint-Francis.jpg

Not to hijack, but has anyone seen La Vita e Bella; Life is Beautiful? Man, that film ripped me apart. But it was a good - rare - instance of dubbing done very well. You just kind of forgot about it after a while.

This might be controversial but I loved the movie Doubt with Meryl Streep. I didn't view it as negative about religious life or the proesthood, just realistic.