An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Bleep, Since When Am I a CM?!

Gabriela

This statement itself suggests the tag is warranted. If you "think differently" from the Church on matters in which She has clear teaching, then you deserve the "Phishy" tag.

I'm pretty sure the "Phishy" tag isn't given for a single post. It's given after several posts have consistently revealed that a person does not accept Church teaching. If you trawl back through your old posts, you can probably find plenty of reasons why you got the tag.

Also, calling the Mediators of Meh "immature" isn't going to help get the tag removed. Phatmass isn't a democracy. It never has been, and I presume never will be. You're here by the grace of dUSt. He can take you out of here as easily as he let you in.

But he is kind and merciful, so if you contact him, maybe he'll explain why you got the tag. Maybe.

Alternatively, you could change your religion to non-Catholic, if that is in fact the case

It would certainly be reasonable if dUSt provides proof of my not-accepting-Church-teaching.

But complaining... Complaining about a childish gesture is below me. 

But complaining... Complaining about a childish gesture is below me. 

Have you not already?

And are you trying to get banned?

julianneoflongbeach

You're here by the grace of dUSt. He can take you out of here as easily as he let you in.

But he is kind and merciful

Dust is the God of phatmass, huh? How extraordinarily disturbing....

I am extremely uncomfortable about how the tags label you and limit free thought expression in the forums. And apparently private messages.

Nihil Obstat

I have the 'Phishy' status. Is this some kind of curse imposed on me by moderators? Does it limit my use of the forum, or am I unable to read private messages due to some technical problems?

Basically a curse, yes.

I am extremely uncomfortable about how the tags label you and limit free thought expression in the forums. And apparently private messages.

*sniffle* Life is so very unfair sometimes. :sad:

You are on a privately owned and operated website. There is no such thing as free expression. As it happens Dust is mostly pretty good in allowing more or less free expression, but he certainly does not need to.  Though personally I think he should allow greater latitude to traditionalist topics... Since we seem to be on good terms today. :saint:

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Just sittin' out my time until the Great Comrade purges the forum from my presence...

Edited by Catlick

Nihil Obstat

Just sittin' out my time until the Great Comrade purges the forum from my presence...

I feel for you dude. I really do. But in terms of how this forum functions you did deserve the fish tag. :P

veritasluxmea

It's easier to have a tag than go through their post history and figure it out for yourself. Plus, there are people on the more trusting side who might not understand when they're being trolled or viewing something that's isn't actually a part of Church teaching. Don't worry, you won't get a tag you don't deserve; and if a mistake happens, dUSt will correct it when it's brought to his attention (like with Nada not to long ago). They don't place any limit on what you post or how you post. They do limit PMs, but new people can't PM either.  

:robot::clap::punk:

I AM SO BLOODY STOKED TOO CAUSE NOT ONLY AM I AN amesome CM, I am  LIKE THE BESTEST EVER RANKING HERE, I GOT THE RELIGIOUS,CM,Mediator of Meh,SUPER amesome GREAT JOB TAG, WHICH NOT ONLY ENTITLES ME TO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN THE REAL WORLD, BUT IT ALSO ALLOWS ME TO CONTINUE ON PRETENDING THAT IT ACTUALLY MATTERS !hashtag SOOOO EXCITED <3 <3 winky face / hello kitty #stewiejustsaidthat

stewie-steroids-o.gif

sorry i got super bored just then.

aww sweet we can merge now

MERGING RULES !

AND I LIKE RULERS !

Edited by superblue

Yeah, dude. Dang. Get the CM tag and the haters just start comin' out the woodwork.

I feel honored by this tag. Not because it "places me above others" but because it recognizes that I've been a devoted Phatmasser for several years. I've spent A LOT of hours trying to help other Phatmassers. I've exerted A LOT of energy controlling what I say online to keep things charitable and Christian (and not always succeeded). I've made good friendships here. The tag tells me that people in this community know me, trust me, and like me (well, some of them). It makes me feel more "embedded" in Phatmass.

So gimme a break. I'm happy. :) 

[END SAP]

veritasluxmea

Uhhhhh now I feel really uncomfortable with this tag. I just like, post vines. 

<edited for space>

I'm genuinely curious, what do you do all day as a postulant, if that's an ok question to ask? 

Uhhhhh now I feel really uncomfortable with this tag. I just like, post vines. 

Yeah, dude, but your vines are amesome. :smile4:

IgnatiusofLoyola

@dUSt has never once called himself "God" (especially not with a capital "G"). Is dUSt perfect? No, since no human is perfect. But dUSt has never claimed to be perfect. dUSt gives an enormous amount of time to running Phatmass, and many (most?) months does not receive enough in donations to cover even the "hard dollar" costs of running this site, much less the value of his time.

"Phishy" tags are not given out lightly, and I have seen at least one case where, after time had passed, it was clear the "Phishy" tag was no longer deserved and it was removed.

As someone else pointed out, it is not only Phishy members who cannot send PMs, but also members with very few posts. And, no one is forbidden from communicating with other Phatmass members through email or Facebook, etc. 

My understanding is that the Phishy tag primarily exists because Phatmass has LOTS of lurkers (very often there are more lurkers than logged-in members), as well as a lot of new members who don't know the other posters very well. Phatmass makes it very clear upfront that this is a Web site supporting orthodox Catholicism. Since we don't really know who the lurkers are, Phatmass uses the "Phishy" tag to try to ensure that a poster who has voluntarily labeled himself/herself "Catholic" actually reflects the teachings of the Magisterium in his/her posts.

I have been a member of a number of forums, most of them "secular." Every single one of those forums has had certain rules, and reflected a certain point of view, even if the site did not make its POV as clear as Phatmass does. I respect Phatmass for the fact that its POV is clearly stated. Every poster (or potential poster) has the free choice of whether or not to post on Phatmass.

I am one of Phatmass' longtime non-Catholic members. Sometimes I've found it hard to be a member of Phatmass, and I have taken "sabbaticals" when I felt I needed to step away to get perspective. But, I keep coming back, not because of theology, but because, over time, I have come to truly care about the other people who post on Phatmass. For the most part, there are good people here--or, at least, people who are trying to be the best they can be.

I keep coming back, not because of theology, but because, over time, I have come to truly care about the other people who post on Phatmass. For the most part, there are good people here--or, at least, people who are trying to be the best they can be.

:cry4:

[^sappy cry]