An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapel Veil / Mantilla - want to get one

Anastasia13

Anastasia13

The only one I had was a gift that I no longer have. I want to get a new one so I have my own again. Is there anything particular to look for when buying one?

Edited by Light and Truth

puellapaschalis

In my experience it's such a personal thing in terms of what you feel comfortable with, that I'm tempted to say: pick one that's reasonably priced, a not-too-outlandish colour, and see how you get on. Then when it comes to getting a new one you'll have a baseline of what does and doesn't work for you.

MarysLittleFlower

The only one I had was a gift that I no longer have. I want to get a new one so I have my own again. Is there anything particular to look for when buying one?

I veil too :) typically unmarried women wear white and married women wear black but not always. Its not like a rule I think. I wear white on Sunday and other colours over the week - like I have a beige mantilla, and a blue or grey or black scarf. I wear the beige when I'm at a parish with no other women who veil. The shape is usually triangular but they sell other shapes too. Veils by Lily is a good online place for veils and there are other ones too. I just made my own veils. God bless :) 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

4LoveofJMJ

As MLF has said, Veils by Lily is a good place to find veils. There is also Silver Hill Treasures and plenty of sites on Esty that sell unique veils. As with ordering anything online, be careful on what you choose because it could look completely different online then it does in person. I just bought a veil and when I got it, it was not what I expected at all. In order to get a good picture of what the veil looks like, I look around at the different pictures of the same veil. Silver Hill Treasures had a more realistic photo of the veil I ordered than Veils by Lily. Just my two cents.

Edited by 4LoveofJMJ

Swami Mommy

I'm just curious.  Could those who have posted talk a little about what their motivation is for wanting to wear a veil in church when it is no longer a traditional thing to do, at least here in the United States?  Is it more traditional to do this in other countries?  I remember wearing a mantilla to Mass in the 1950's and 1960's, but that has kind of gone out of vogue, hasn't it?  Here in the States, wearing a mantilla in church in this day and age would make a person stand out rather than blend in, so it might appear to other congregants that the person was subtly looking for attention and validation for their religious piety, even though that might not actually be their intent.  

http://asksistermarymartha.blogspot.com/2011/02/return-of-chapel-veil.html

Could it be possible that one may wish to wear a veil to cover the crown chakra, the seat of spiritual energy, in order to contain the energy within the body better?

(By the way, just for the record, I think it was a lovely, respectful tradition for women to cover the head in church, and something was lost when this outward sign of devotion and humility went out the door in the 1970's with the formality and gentility of earlier eras.)  

puellapaschalis

Veiling is nowhere near as not-done as it was 30 or 20 or even 10 years ago. In a twisted way I think the hostile environment many who wish to veil might have found themselves in is a good battleground; it means girls and women really do choose it, though they might not always be able to express their motivation.

veritasluxmea

I'm just curious.  Could those who have posted talk a little about what their motivation is for wanting to wear a veil in church when it is no longer a traditional thing to do, at least here in the United States?  Is it more traditional to do this in other countries?  I remember wearing a mantilla to Mass in the 1950's and 1960's, but that has kind of gone out of vogue, hasn't it?  

In the US, most reasons seem to come down to one: a sign of respect for the Eucharist. There's no hard and fast answer, there's just a lot of devotion and spirituality behind it. People use it as a prayer tool to help them focus. To kind of be hidden, like Jesus is hidden in the Eucharist. The tabernacle holds the Eucharist, which is like life. Women can hold life like a tabernacle, so they veil, like the tabernacle veils Jesus. I veil for all those reasons, for me it's just a sign of respect and love for the Eucharist. 

I don't know how other countries veil or don't veil nowadays. I believe in South Korea and the Philippines it's more common. Nowadays in the US most women going to a Catholic mass do not veil, but technically you can veil in any church if you want. 

Could it be possible that one may wish to wear a veil to cover the crown chakra, the seat of spiritual energy, in order to contain the energy within the body better?

No Catholic veils for this reason and it's not a part of Catholic tradition or history. Followers of an Eastern religion might, I don't know. 

I wear my veil out of respect for Christ and also it reminds me of the incredible truth that I am in the same room with Christ Himself.  It helps me to keep my mind on Him and when I pick up my veil on the way out the door to go to Mass, it helps me push other thoughts out and start focusing on God.  I chose black as a symbol of penance. 

By the way, does anyone have any advice about how to keep the veil on one's head?  I have tried bobby pins, but I find that that looks odd and it tends to slowly fall off anyway.

:o)Katherine:o)

I wear my veil out of respect for Christ and also it reminds me of the incredible truth that I am in the same room with Christ Himself.  It helps me to keep my mind on Him and when I pick up my veil on the way out the door to go to Mass, it helps me push other thoughts out and start focusing on God.  I chose black as a symbol of penance. 

By the way, does anyone have any advice about how to keep the veil on one's head?  I have tried bobby pins, but I find that that looks odd and it tends to slowly fall off anyway.

Erin Marie, I use a snall metal snap clip comb that came with mine that I ordered from Veils by Lilly. I opted to not have it sewn in so that I can place it where I need it. It works great! I just snap it on and off. I leave the snap in so I do not have to reapply it each time. I'm sure that you can find one in the beauty/hair section. Just a thought! :)

HopefulHeart

I have straight, smooth hair, so keeping the veil on my head can be a challenge! I've found that applying some hairspray to my hair before putting on the veil helps my veil to stay on. It still slips off once in a while, but overall but the hairspray makes an improvement. 

• 2 weeks later...

I chose to wear a veil after becoming more aware of the importance of delineating sacred and secular spaces.  I wanted to demonstrate my reverence towards the Church without having to go home and change into a dress or skirt every day before daily Mass.  Wearing a veil was an easy step to implement and highlighted my femininity, which was particularly important to me in a culture that increasingly views gender as interchangeable.  

I wear this one that doubles as an infinity scarf, holy and stylish :D https://www.etsy.com/transaction/238876214

truthfinder

I had wanted to wear a veil for years (literally about a decade).  When I finally joined a parish where it was the norm, I adopted the practice.  Wearing one before this time would have been seen as strange, and would have aligned me with the very infrequent visitors of my parish who most had seen as really far-out-there.  But my actual desire to wear a headcovering in Church came from a growing and distinct feeling that my head was naked.  The same feeling you get when you realize you're having a clothing problem - ie, your shirt is lower than you thought, skirt riding up, etc.  When I do wear it, it is mostly in EF parishes, although I'll also wear it when visiting parishes. I am also pleased with the side-effect of being 'blinkered' - helps me focus on what's going on, rather than what everyone else is doing.  I don't wear a head-covering to the closest church just because I don't think it would be taken kindly to there, and at this point it's more of a sacrifice not to wear it.  I have a cheap mantilla I picked up that I do wear depending on my hair situation, but I prefer to wear a scarf: I've got a couple.  I'll usually wear a white one (since I'm single) - with a heavier fabric in the winter (It's Canada after all), and usually a predominately black scarf for Lent. 

.  I'll usually wear a white one (since I'm single) - with a heavier fabric in the winter (It's Canada after all),

here is your winter "veil" :)

3929153-Portrait-of-fresh-woman-in-white

puellapaschalis

Totally not appropriate, there's a good four inches of hair showing there. Scandalous, utterly scandalous I say!!!

Mary Catherine

www.veilsbylily.com   And this is my veil. I think veiling should be greatly encouraged though today many people, even Cardinal Burke say it's not obligatory. But it's a beautiful tradition of our church, why should be abandon it? In Eastern church today, all women wear veils, and our Catholic veil is more beautiful than theirs in style.

See here. http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/d005rpVeil_1_Goodman.htm 

Because of the Angels: A Study of the Veil
in the Christian Tradition