An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapel Veil / Mantilla - want to get one

Anastasia13

Totally not appropriate, there's a good four inches of hair showing there. Scandalous, utterly scandalous I say!!!

sorry :paperbag:

MarysLittleFlower

I can relate about the head feeling "naked" without a veil  - I had that feeling too. I recently picked up some grey lace at a store for only a few dollars... I made a veil from it but now I need to buy some lace trim. I'm hoping that would be my "everyday" veil and I'll keep the white for Sundays and major feasts. I attend the EF so I can get away with veiling easily but when I visit a parish that doesn't have this practice, I would wear a very short veil, a hat, or a scarf. I wore a big headband too but I like to cover more of the head. :) its a beautiful practice! 

Mantilla, at least the ones I see now and then, look fairly ugly. It seems more usual, at least in recent years I've noticed, for women to wear a dark bandana, hat or scarf. It does seem more natural to me. I've never seen anyone get given issues for covering their head (only men which seems an outdated custom) and I think people shouldn't be given judgement or attitude if it's their choice.

Edited by Benedictus

Anyone know of any good sites based in the UK or Europe?

There is a woman in England who makes them by hand, but I can't find her site. I know I've got it written down somewhere. I'll look for it when I'm less busy. :) If you want a mantilla, I have a beautiful triangular one in soft creamy ivory lace, made in Spain, that needs a good home - I ordered a duplicate that looks just like it when I thought I'd lost it, and I've ended up with two! If you're comfortable with PMing me your address, I'll post it to you. I'm in England myself.

MarysLittleFlower

Mantilla, at least the ones I see now and then, look fairly ugly. It seems more usual, at least in recent years I've noticed, for women to wear a dark bandana, hat or scarf. It does seem more natural to me. I've never seen anyone get given issues for covering their head (only men which seems an outdated custom) and I think people shouldn't be given judgement or attitude if it's their choice.

I personally think mantillas look nice :)  

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I personally think mantillas look nice :)  

OK:cool: They still look like a piece of torn net curtain thrown over the head to me :smile2: They seem very alien to some cultures too I think. I don't get why a scarf, hat or similar isn't good enough. Maybe more women would cover their heads if the act wasn't made to seem eccentric and or then draw criticism.:idontknow:

MarysLittleFlower

OK:cool: They still look like a piece of torn net curtain thrown over the head to me :smile2: They seem very alien to some cultures too I think. I don't get why a scarf, hat or similar isn't good enough. Maybe more women would cover their heads if the act wasn't made to seem eccentric and or then draw criticism.:idontknow:

hmm in my experience most women tend to think they look pretty and feminine... Not all like them and some prefer scarves... I think I don't dislike the lace because I attend the TLM where there's lots of lace everywhere :P sometimes I wear scarves too... But to be honest the reason I prefer veils for myself is because they block out my side vision and I feel more focused during prayer... Especially as I sing in the choir and we're all squished together in the choir loft lol :) 

It's a cultural thing. Eastern Catholics have always tended to use solid scarves, while Latin Catholics have the mantilla. I am comfortable with either a mantilla or a scarf, but I'm fond of my mantilla because I like the sense of connection with my heritage as a Latin Catholic. I agree that some mantillas don't look good (I'm not a fan of the really huge ones, and I think you need a very subtle delicate pattern to get away with wearing a white one - too floral and it will look like net curtains) but they come in different styles and colours and it's not too difficult to find one you like.

• 2 weeks later...