An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tags in VS: An Open Letter

veritasluxmea

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yeah, that much was clear. No problem. :like2:

Out of curiosity: Where would the Third Order Dominicans fall in all those secular classifications? Cuz they're called "third order," but they're not technically part of the Order of Preachers, though they're obviously strongly affiliated and they live in the world. :idontknow:

IF you mean 3rd Order Dominicans as in lay Dominicans they are totally members of the Order of Preachers as they make a promise to the Master of the Order. The Order governs their rule of life, oversees the care of the chapters, etc.

If you mean the Sisters well, they aren't 3rd Order anymore. They are religious who are part of the Dominican Family.

BTW, there is no such thing as 3rd order in the Dominican Order. They are called The Lay and Priestly Fraternities of St. Dominic.

I'm sure you are all confused! Trust me, Dominicans are just as confused! :-)

I didn't even notice the tags! Do people notice them?

Credo in Deum

:concede:

I still think we need another tag for people who have vows but aren't "typical" religious. They contribute A LOT to making VS a really positive and informative place and it would be helpful to distinguish their state in life. 

IMO, the VS description is clear that this forum was made for those members discerning a vocation as a "typical" religious (Priesthood, Nun, etc).  Now this is not to belittle other members vocations. It's just to distinguish between the primary purpose of VS and then everything else that happens in VS.  Also we appreciate the contribution these members make, but the amount of contribution is not a key factor for these types of tags.  And as dUSt mentioned where does this end?  Why just these vocations? Why not a tag for all vocations?  The line has to be drawn somewhere. 

When I take a scroll through the topics in VS, I think one can see that most of the time the threads are pertaining to those "typical" religious vacations, so I feel making new tags for those who are not in those vocations seems unnecessary at this time. 

Regardless, in the end it's not up to me.  I'm just throwing in my one cent.  I'm also not trying to be harsh, so I apologize if I come off that way.  I just feel if it ain't broke then don't fix it.  I personally can't see how not having these new tags is going to impact VS negatively.

after the tags, the tags should be tagged so everyone knows why the tags are there to begin with.

julianneoflongbeach

You have to understand, Julianne, that Phatmass is not just a place to hang out and talk to other Catholics. It has an evangelical and catechetical mission as well.

I know that's what phatmass is supposed to be... But lots of people here are cliquey. They get up on their soap boxes and tell each other how good and great they all are , then treat people who don't automatically fall in line with suspicion. If I weren't Catholic, or just young and inexperienced , this isn't the place I'd come for a chat. Or to get a question answered, setting as how (now that I know only certain people can answer them) there are very few answered questions in the logical place to ask them and the few there mostly aren't very good.

When I first came here thinking it was actually about evangelizing and saw all that I was very confused. Sorry... But it's my nature to poke bee hives with sticks.

:concede:

I still think we need another tag for people who have vows but aren't "typical" religious. They contribute A LOT to making VS a really positive and informative place and it would be helpful to distinguish their state in life. 

They are like a secular institute. For example, St Louis de Montfort was a third order Dominican. He didn't go to Dominican seminary or wear a Dominican habit, but he was part of that charism and family. Third orders like that are considered "family members" of the Dominican family though they aren't technically "brothers and sisters" like the friars and nuns. St Catherine of Sienna was a Third Order Dominican. When she was living, it was common for people like that to wear a habit although they didn't live in community. It wasn't until about three hundred years after her death that changed and gradually became what we know it today.

A lot of it can make sense after reading the history of how the third order came about in that particular order. The Franciscan Sisters I talked about have an explanation of it here that really clears it up: 

So I think it would be helpful to tag Third Order Seculars.  

This is partly why I was confused, because I interviewed some of the Franciscan TORs and they're obviously sisters in habit, living in community. But the third-order Dominicans (laity) are not in habit and don't live in community. So it seems complicated and probably not something we should burden the Mediators of Meh with untangling for tag purposes.

IF you mean 3rd Order Dominicans as in lay Dominicans they are totally members of the Order of Preachers as they make a promise to the Master of the Order. The Order governs their rule of life, oversees the care of the chapters, etc.

If you mean the Sisters well, they aren't 3rd Order anymore. They are religious who are part of the Dominican Family.

BTW, there is no such thing as 3rd order in the Dominican Order. They are called The Lay and Priestly Fraternities of St. Dominic.

I'm sure you are all confused! Trust me, Dominicans are just as confused! :-)

I didn't even notice the tags! Do people notice them?

Wait. I've seen people with the initials "T.O.S.D." (Third Order of St. Dominic) after their names. What's that?

And yes, people in the VS definitely notice when someone is labeled with a "Catholic Religious" tag. Haven't you noticed that sisters' posts generally get 10 times more props than everyone else's? ;) 

Edited by Gabriela

AccountDeleted

What?

I don't understand all of this.

I only made a religious tag because someone told me just having a tag for priests was not enough. Now someone is telling me a Religious tag is not enough. Where does it end?

Being a Daddy is hard, isn't it? :)

But seriously, in the name of all that is holy, please don't start making more tags. The ones we have are elegant sufficiency!

I know that's what phatmass is supposed to be... But lots of people here are cliquey. They get up on their soap boxes and tell each other how good and great they all are , then treat people who don't automatically fall in line with suspicion. If I weren't Catholic, or just young and inexperienced , this isn't the place I'd come for a chat. Or to get a question answered, setting as how (now that I know only certain people can answer them) there are very few answered questions in the logical place to ask them and the few there mostly aren't very good.

When I first came here thinking it was actually about evangelizing and saw all that I was very confused. Sorry... But it's my nature to poke bee hives with sticks.

For someone who's been here all of 5 minutes, you make an awful lot of complaints. Why don't you just observe and participate for a while until you understand more about how things are around here? Phatmass has a "rich history" that hasn't always been sunny, so people are sensitive about certain things.

Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean everyone else in the world doesn't either. We know there are lurkers—the webpage analytics show that—and lots of them ask questions in the Q&A subphorum and even in the major phorums.

If it's "your nature" to poke beehives with sticks, you might want to work on resisting "your nature". It makes you rather unpleasant online.

Sheesh. We really should have that "Troll" tag!

No, I just really respect the noobs who come in here, observe, participate, ask questions, and after a reasonable amount of time, when everyone knows them, begin to voice their opinions about how things should work—after they've understood how things work now. Thank God, this is the vast majority of noobs on Phatmass. God bless them for their humility (and tact)!

I used to get in trouble at every job I had because I'd show up with all my own ideas and start telling people how to make everything better. I couldn't understand why people found this so presumptuous. I mean my ideas would have improved things. Or would they have? I didn't know the history of the organizations and hadn't been there long enough to understand why things were the way they were, how they were behind the scenes, or how people would react if they were changed. Other people who had been there longer than me knew all those things. And they knew better.

Now, of course, I get why people in all those jobs hated "the annoying noob". Because I was annoying!

@veritasluxmea: This has NOTHING to do with your petition for more tags. I think that was a totally legit suggestion. I'm talking to Julianne here.

BarbTherese

Being a Daddy is hard, isn't it? :)

But seriously, in the name of all that is holy, please don't start making more tags. The ones we have are elegant sufficiency!

I agree on all points.

One can put one's vocation or 'status' on one's profile.  Sometimes I read a post and then for whatever related reason, check out the profile.  Easy done and simply one click away.

veritasluxmea

Also, thank you for your input everyone. If the Catholic Religious tag is working and there is no need to tag anyone else, good! That's why I posted it as an open letter- I want people to share what's working for them. What might seem helpful to me is only one perspective. 

I think BT's suggestion is good: People who are in a lay fraternity or secular institute or CV or whatever SHOULD put that into their profiles.

Sorry that this is off topic, but I must ask now that it's been brought up (I htink;) but what is a

"noob"?    I assume that that is what n00b is.   Newbie?

Sorry that this is off topic, but I must ask now that it's been brought up (I htink;) but what is a

"noob"?    I assume that that is what n00b is.   Newbie?

Yep, a newbie. A new Phatmasser.