An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tags in VS: An Open Letter

veritasluxmea

BarbTherese

...........and "Chummy Commoner/Part of The System" is a rather friendly sort of commoner who has just crept into the system over time .....................:cry3:

AccountDeleted

You know, I still don't understand what "Part of the System" means.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that if one has enough enough posts to change their title, and does not do so, they get the 'Part of the System' title instead. But I could be mistaken about this.

I think there are enough tags as it is, and that it would be confusing for non-Catholics and newer Catholics (or even older Catholics!) to sort out the intricacies between third order groups/lay fraternities, secular institutes, and CVs. Part of the problem is that language has changed over time (the term 'third order' now seems to be used most often to refer to lay spirituality groups attached to a particular order, for example). Another issue is the question of faith formation - religious sisters and brothers who live in community tend to do much more Catholic study and training than a layperson attending his local lay Carmelite group. Finally, as Credo pointed out, most discerners who come here are looking at either priesthood or religious life. It helps to let people know that there are other forms of consecrated life, but complicating the tag system isn't the way to do that.

BarbTherese

I took it for granted that "Part of The System" meant that one had either been a member for a certain span of time or had contributed a certain number of posts

AccountDeleted

I took it for granted that "Part of The System" meant that one had either been a member for a certain span of time or had contributed a certain number of posts

Could be but maybe I should test it by taking off my title and seeing whether I get cups and glasses etc or the system title. Or you could test it by giving yourself a title and seeing if it replaces the system one?

Later: Yep, I was right. I am now part of the system because I removed my title.

Edited by nunsense

BarbTherese

Thanks for that, nunsense. 

1 -  Where does one change one's title?

2 - Also, do you know what the cups and glasses etc. means on the profiles?

3 - Is there some place on the phorum where these mysteries are explained?

AccountDeleted

I can tell you how to change your title - that is in the Edit Profile section where it says 'Member Title' - just type in whatever you want.

I can't help with the cups and glasses or tell you if there are any instruction pages that explain this. Things have changed so much over the years that what used to apply isn't the same any more. You might have to ask dUSt.

Edited by nunsense

BarbTherese

Thank you.

Sure would be handy to have a pinned somewhere that explains all these mysteries.  Would be helpful for new members too.  I don't know how to do an @dUSt for dUSt and for others too either unless this works: @dUSt ..........seems to work ok (Go into hyperlink on URL type @dUSt and then in link text type @dUSt again)

Followed your instructions ok, nunsense.  Changed my title to "Aussie".........nothing happened, I am still Chummy Commoner.

Should read " am still Part of The System"

Sister Leticia

I just went to check my profile as a result of all the above and discovered I'm now a Catholic Religious! Thank you @Gabriela and whichever mediator dealt with the request!  :like2:

And no, I didn't have to submit to interrogation or sign anything proving I am indeed a religious. I assume though that the Mediators of Meh did some kind of behind-the-scenes vetting, maybe using my full name to check my online profile. (OK, someone could of course steal a full name, create a fake email account etc, but at some point you have to trust, and hope your trust isn't misplaced) But if there's a future problem with fake religious trolls and you want more safeguards, I'm sure I and the others here who are genuine religious would have no problems with that.

AccountDeleted

Thank you.

Sure would be handy to have a pinned somewhere that explains all these mysteries.  Would be helpful for new members too.  I don't know how to do an @dUSt for dUSt and for others too either unless this works: @dUSt ..........seems to work ok (Go into hyperlink on URL type @dUSt and then in link text type @dUSt again)

Followed your instructions ok, nunsense.  Changed my title to "Aussie".........nothing happened, I am still Chummy Commoner.

Should read " am still Part of The System"

Barb

I think you are confusing two things. One is the Member Title that is located right under your user name - I can definitely see the word 'Aussie' under yours.

The other thing is the tag that we get which depends one of two things - either the number of posts (automatic tags for this such as n00b or Chummy Commoner) or, if dUSt assigns one, like Church Militant, Church Scholar, Clergy, Religious, etc.  You are a Chummy Commoner because you have not been 'assigned' a tag by dUSt. That seems to be what this thread is about - people seem to want more tags assigned, such as CV or Secular Institute or whatever else, but I think this could get a bit overwhelming for dUSt if there was a tag for every situation in life. 

BarbTherese

Thanks again, now I can see that it has changed too.  I don't think that the @dUSt worked out either, however it is done.  I knew about the religious, Church Scholar, Church Militant etc. and I think more qualifications will just make things even more confusing than they are already and without being able to check information, anyone can be anyone at all.   One can be anyone at all on one's profile if anyone wants to know.  This is the internet ...........and the mysterious mysteries of Phatmass.

"Part of the System" can't be post count, because BT has more posts than me, but I'm "Part of the System" and she's not. And it can't be props (now called "Reputation"), because beatitude has more props than me, and I'm "Part of the System" and she's not.

We've asked dUSt about this multiple times, as well as about the cups and their significance, but he's always silently ignored our questions. I think it's just his secret.

I've often speculated that "Part of the System" refers to those people who helped out during the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015. It seems to apply to people who know "the System" well enough that they're able to help others navigate it, learn it, etc.

As for the cups... Probably it's some way of classifying in which ways we each get on his nerves. ;)

(Actually, on second thought, beatitude has three cups and she's probably the least annoying person on here. So I have no idea!)

Thanks again, now I can see that it has changed too.  I don't think that the @dUSt worked out either, however it is done.  I knew about the religious, Church Scholar, Church Militant etc. and I think more qualifications will just make things even more confusing than they are already and without being able to check information, anyone can be anyone at all.   One can be anyone at all on one's profile if anyone wants to know.  This is the internet ...........and the mysterious mysteries of Phatmass.

Normally, the @ function does work. You just type "@" and then start typing in the person's name. Stop in the middle of it and hover your mouse over the name, and there should pop up a drop-down menu-like little window with the person's name in it. Click on that, and it inserts the full name and hyperlinks it, and notifies that person (if they have notifications enabled for that).

But right now, it seems to not be working. @BarbaraTherese

Opa. There it goes again. I must say it can be unpredictable!

At any rate, you don't have to enter the person's name into the URL function to get their name to hyperlink. That's the hard way!

Edited by Gabriela

AccountDeleted

Gabriela posted:

"Part of the System" can't be post count, because BT has more posts than me, but I'm "Part of the System" and she's not. And it can't be props (now called "Reputation"), because beatitude has more props than me, and I'm "Part of the System" and she's not.

No, no, no, you misunderstand. When a person reaches a certain post count (something over 3150 or something like that) then they are allowed to change their own title, and it used to be that what appeared under a person's name at that time was the statement:  'I can change my own title now'. When this happened, a person could then edit their profile and change their Member Title by typing in whatever description they wanted. When a person did not type in a new title, it stayed with the statement: 'I can change my own title now'.  

I think the way it works now is that when a person can change their title, and they don't do so, then they either get the statement: 'Part of the system' or they get the cups and glasses. I don't know why the cups and glasses come in - that one is a mystery that only dUSt can answer. BT used to have 'Part of the system' as her title but it appears she has changed it - first to Aussie, and now it says Chummy Commoner - perhaps she wanted the title and the tag to be the same? 

Try experimenting yourself and you will see. You can either put in your own title or you can then delete it and be a part of the system again. I did it and it worked for me.

Edited by nunsense

HopefulHeart

The cups and glasses accumulate as your post count increases. For instance, when the cups and glasses system was put in place, I had only a coffee cup. Then, when I made my 400th post, the martini glass was added. I think you keep gathering the icons as your post count goes up, until at some point you can either change your title or become "part of the system." That is how I understand it.

Also, after looking through this topic, I think that it is best to leave the tag system as it is. :)

Edited by HopefulHeart