An Old School Catholic Message Board

The new apostolate: rescuing and training sex workers

Yaatee

This isn't new, is it? I've known about these sisters for a while. They do wonderful work.

Lovely article! I did not know about these sisters.

human trafficking and sex trade is so incredibly evil. There is just no other word for it. It is slavery, goes against human dignity.

Glad to see they work together with international justice mission: it's an organisation thats working on ending slavery

by liberating victims of human trafficking, but also by working on reforming the justice system. You can read more about them here: www.ijm.org

I think we need sisters like this in the US. I don't know why we don't have any. I mean, I know this problem is much more in-your-face in the Far East, but we've got tons of prostitutes here, too. :sad:

There are many sisters in the U.S. Who are working on the terrible problem of sex-trafficking. Many in a number of communities have formed an organization to better coordinate their efforts, both in the U.S. and elsewhere. For more information, you might want to start at their website: http://www.sistersagainsttrafficking.org/

The point at which I lost it:

Those women had no identity, and people viewed them as mere sex objects. Today, thanks to the sisters, they have gained social respect. The women, therefore, consider the sisters as mothers who have given them new birth, Pramanick said.

:cry3: 

There are many sisters in the U.S. Who are working on the terrible problem of sex-trafficking. Many in a number of communities have formed an organization to better coordinate their efforts, both in the U.S. and elsewhere. For more information, you might want to start at their website: http://www.sistersagainsttrafficking.org/

They worked with trafficked women. Do they also go into communities of ("willing") prostitution?

I don't know, Gabriela. It might be worth asking them. The only person I know who did do that extensively in the U.S. is a laywoman, Edwina Gateley. Not sure how much of that she's still doing, as most of her ministry seems to be writing and retreat work these days.

not necessarily a christian organisation, but a beautiful organisation nonetheless.

"dreamcatchers" is an organisation started by a woman who worked as a street prostitute for 25 (!!!) years. She literaly goes out to the streets to try and convince the woman to stop, she has a prevention programma for young girls etc etc.

here is a link to a beautiful documentary about them. It broke my heart. i was shocked to hear this exists in Chicaco on such a big scale...

http://thedreamcatcherfoundation.org/

ps. i do understand that some people might not agree with her strategy as she hands out condoms to the prostitutes. As she isn't a catholic christian, i don't think we should judge her harshely for that.

Some prostitutes make a lot of money. Others ae tethered to their pimps by their drug use, which the pimp supplies.  therefore many don't want to or can't  give upthe business. Proselytizing on the street doesn't sound as if it would be very effective. Rescuing Nepalese girls sold or abducted into sex slavery (to India, where there is a "taste" for the Nepalese--disgusting--) is another matter. 

There's a similar community called Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles started many years ago by a Jesuit Priest named Fr. Greg Boyle. It's now the largest gang rehabilitation organization, but the key is that it's all about community (or "kinship" as the founder calls it). It's not a Protestant-style "altar call" (a silly way to imagine dealing with problems like gangs or sex trafficking), it's about creating ties of kinship and giving creating a new community, not "for" people but with them, a new community where they can find themselves in and stop being the false self they live in other communities (gangs, drugs, whatever).

I know about Homeboy Industries. They do amesome work. Does Fr. Greg take in former prostitutes, too?

I had not heard of the Dream Catcher Foundation. Thanks for that, @josephine!

Some prostitutes make a lot of money. Others ae tethered to their pimps by their drug use, which the pimp supplies.  therefore many don't want to or can't  give upthe business. Proselytizing on the street doesn't sound as if it would be very effective. Rescuing Nepalese girls sold or abducted into sex slavery (to India, where there is a "taste" for the Nepalese--disgusting--) is another matter. 

I don't know. If you can offer them Jesus AND a place to stay, three meals a day, job training, rehab, lots of patience, more love, and ZERO JUDGMENT, I should think that might appeal to a fair number of them. A really well organized social service catering just to them could work wonders.

I agree with that "really well organized social service" of TRAINED PERSONNEL, catering just to them--part.

Yeah, they should have trained people. But there's also something really compelling (and effective) about people who have been there themselves or who just really, really care. I'm always skeptical about over-credentialing, especially in the social services. Sometimes you just need to know somebody understands.

I think the Dream Catcher Foundation is testimony to that.