An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hello

Mags

Hi, I'm new on here but have read many posts which I have found very useful. It's great to know that there are others out there feeling the same way as me, needing prayers and getting answers to questions.

I'm discerning a possible call to the Carmelites of Notting Hill in London. Next month I'm visiting for a month and am both nervous and looking forward to it. I was there for a week a few months ago and, without wanting to sound too trite, it felt right. This month will be a truer test I know, so I would be very grateful if you would pray for me. Thank you

Sister Leticia

Welcome - I'm assuming you're from or based in the UK , so welcome from one UK Phatmasser to another!

I've only been to Notting Hill as a visitor a long time ago, but of course I've seen the film about them :) Would you be happy to say what attracts you to Carmel and to this one in particular?

Welcome - I'm assuming you're from or based in the UK , so welcome from one UK Phatmasser to another!

I've only been to Notting Hill as a visitor a long time ago, but of course I've seen the film about them :) Would you be happy to say what attracts you to Carmel and to this one in particular?

Hi Sister Leticia, my discernment started more seriously after completing the Vision Vocation Match Questionnaire. The Carmelites really stood out for me so I made general enquiries about them. I was directed to their website which describes their life, and the communities there are in Great Britain. I would regularly read the information but could not get the courage to actually contact them for some time! As I don't drive I made a pragmatic decision to visit the one which would be easiest by public transport - Notting Hill (I live in Northampton). I made several visits for chats with a few of the sisters; the superior, Sr Mary of St Joseph, then suggested a week long stay. Whilst there I felt a sense of purpose and "wholeness" which I don't really get from my work. I like the simplicity of the life, that all of the sisters are working towards the same goal, ie, serving God. I'm not entirely sure I have answered you question, I find it hard sometimes to put into words what I feel and I hate to sound soppy!!

I had not heard of the film before I met them, it was interesting to see them in it after having met some of them in the flesh :) 

Sorry I managed to merge two posts!! 

Hello and welcome :wave:  Prayers for you as you go on your live in.

Thank you! :)

Hi Mags, welcome! I've been there, it's lovely :)

Thank you, it is, and the sisters are great too :)

Hi Sister Leticia, my discernment started more seriously after completing the Vision Vocation Match Questionnaire. The Carmelites really stood out for me so I made general enquiries about them. I was directed to their website which describes their life, and the communities there are in Great Britain. I would regularly read the information but could not get the courage to actually contact them for some time! As I don't drive I made a pragmatic decision to visit the one which would be easiest by public transport - Notting Hill (I live in Northampton). I made several visits for chats with a few of the sisters; the superior, Sr Mary of St Joseph, then suggested a week long stay. Whilst there I felt a sense of purpose and "wholeness" which I don't really get from my work. I like the simplicity of the life, that all of the sisters are working towards the same goal, ie, serving God. I'm not entirely sure I have answered you question, I find it hard sometimes to put into words what I feel and I hate to sound soppy!!

I had not heard of the film before I met them, it was interesting to see them in it after having met some of them in the flesh :) 

Sorry I managed to merge two posts!! 

Thank you! :)

Thank you, it is, and the sisters are great too :)

What is going on??!! I keep merging posts :( 

Edited by Mags
Error in post

Welcome! I hope your live in goes well! :)

Thank you ☺

hello and welcome :wave:  Prayers for you as you go on your live in.

Thank you ☺

:o)Katherine:o)

Prayers for you Mags! Welcome to Phatmass! :smile2:

Edited by :o)Katherine:o)

Dont worry about your posts merging, its just how phatmass works and nothing you did.  The only way to prevent that is to wait a few mins between posts in the same thread, or if someone else posts in between yours. 

Sister Leticia

As I don't drive I made a pragmatic decision to visit the one which would be easiest by public transport - Notting Hill (I live in Northampton).

I smiled at this: so often it's some unrelated, random or seemingly insignificant thing which God uses to determine our life's course...

God bless!

I smiled at this: so often it's some unrelated, random or seemingly insignificant thing which God uses to determine our life's course...

God bless!

That is so true. I had never before considered the Carmelites as I thought of them as so strict. My experience so far is that the community are "normal" and that their life is possible!