An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hello

Mags

Welcome, Mags! :)

Also, we love the merge posts function. It's new and really helps to keep threads organized! :P 

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It means a lot to know that people are praying for me. It's not long now until I go. I'm looking forward to it, and not just because work is crazy!! ☺

Sister Leticia

Well, it's good that you can get a month off work (or will you be between jobs?) Work commitments, and the need to have an income and pay bills, can be difficult to tie in with the need to take an extended time off. And of course, some people might not be in a position to tell their employers why they need the extended  leave.

We have someone doing a live-in at the moment, who lives too far from any of our communities to be able to carry on her job (we're contemplative/apostolic, so going out to work each day in addition to community life and prayer is a good way of experiencing our life), but luckily she was able to negotiate the time off. She now does voluntary work in local projects where the sisters work. We have another discerner who lives and works quite near one of our communities, so it would be easier for her to live in. But we don't make a live-in an obligatory part of the process - we do it if a discerner really seems to need it to help her come to greater clarity or dispel anxieties about being able to live in community.

But of course it's different for a monastery - the life is so different, with the horarium, enclosure, silence, asceticism and the whole lifestyle - I think you really do have to try it as part of the discernment. Good for you, for being willing to do so!

Well, it's good that you can get a month off work (or will you be between jobs?) Work commitments, and the need to have an income and pay bills, can be difficult to tie in with the need to take an extended time off. And of course, some people might not be in a position to tell their employers why they need the extended  leave.

We have someone doing a live-in at the moment, who lives too far from any of our communities to be able to carry on her job (we're contemplative/apostolic, so going out to work each day in addition to community life and prayer is a good way of experiencing our life), but luckily she was able to negotiate the time off. She now does voluntary work in local projects where the sisters work. We have another discerner who lives and works quite near one of our communities, so it would be easier for her to live in. But we don't make a live-in an obligatory part of the process - we do it if a discerner really seems to need it to help her come to greater clarity or dispel anxieties about being able to live in community.

But of course it's different for a monastery - the life is so different, with the horarium, enclosure, silence, asceticism and the whole lifestyle - I think you really do have to try it as part of the discernment. Good for you, for being willing to do so!

Hi, yes I really am very lucky, I had been expecting some resistance to that amount of time off but had none. I had planned on taking unpaid leave, and had been saving up for this, work though gave me my annual leave. I can feel for those who are not as fortunate as me. 

The superior at Notting Hill recommended a month stay so that I could get a true sense of their life, that is the norm for them. The week I had a few months ago was only a taster and could not properly reflect the life of a Carmelite. I know that for me there will be some real challenges re. technology, I'm so used to having my mobile on me and my laptop at hand and then there is the TV! I'm used to there being noise of some description in my life, either at work or at home so a month of silence will be different but I'm looking forward to it. Something I hadn't mentioned above was that for some years I had been a Benedictine, leaving when I was a Junior, so I have some understanding of the way of life but I'm older now and used to doing things how and when I want. Doing this will help me to know for certain whether I am called to this life.

Hi, yes I really am very lucky, I had been expecting some resistance to that amount of time off but had none. I had planned on taking unpaid leave, and had been saving up for this, work though gave me my annual leave. I can feel for those who are not as fortunate as me. 

The superior at Notting Hill recommended a month stay so that I could get a true sense of their life, that is the norm for them. The week I had a few months ago was only a taster and could not properly reflect the life of a Carmelite. I know that for me there will be some real challenges re. technology, I'm so used to having my mobile on me and my laptop at hand and then there is the TV! I'm used to there being noise of some description in my life, either at work or at home so a month of silence will be different but I'm looking forward to it. Something I hadn't mentioned above was that for some years I had been a Benedictine, leaving when I was a Junior, so I have some understanding of the way of life but I'm older now and used to doing things how and when I want. Doing this will help me to know for certain whether I am called to this life.

I suppose the question I was going to ask, how was your week's live-in, is a bit redundant then :) Better to wait and see, really, even if there are nosy people on the internet!

I suppose the question I was going to ask, how was your week's live-in, is a bit redundant then :) Better to wait and see, really, even if there are nosy people on the internet!

It feels as though August is coming very quickly. I'm counting down my shifts!! :)

I'm  excited but another part of me is nervous though, it feels as though there is a lot riding on this. I know that I must place myself in God's hands, whatever He wills will be. :amen:

It feels as though August is coming very quickly. I'm counting down my shifts!! :)

I'm  excited but another part of me is nervous though, it feels as though there is a lot riding on this. I know that I must place myself in God's hands, whatever He wills will be. :amen:

Exactly. I'm always nervous before community visits, whether it's the first time or whether I know them well. I visited a community in April and it was the first time I'd been back in a monastery in ages - everyone was so kind, but the first night I did feel like I'd landed on an alien planet and just sort of stumbled through everything until bedtime. But by the end of the week I cried because I didn't want to leave! You have the advantage of having already been there, got to know the sisters, and been given the vote of confidence by them that you should try this next step. It's going to be great! :clap:I'm so vicariously excited!

Edited by marigold

The superior at Notting Hill recommended a month stay so that I could get a true sense of their life, that is the norm for them. The week I had a few months ago was only a taster and could not properly reflect the life of a Carmelite. I know that for me there will be some real challenges re. technology, I'm so used to having my mobile on me and having my laptop at hand and then there is the TV! I'm used to there being noise of some description in my life, either at work or at home so a month of silence will be different but I'm looking forward to it. Something I hadn't mentioned above was that for some years I had been a Benedictine, leaving when I was a Junior, so I have some understanding of the way of life but I'm older now and used to doing things how and when I want. Doing this will help me to know for certain whether I am called to this life.

Sister Leticia

The superior at Notting Hill recommended a month stay so that I could get a true sense of their life, that is the norm for them. The week I had a few months ago was only a taster and could not properly reflect the life of a Carmelite. I know that for me there will be some real challenges re. technology, I'm so used to having my mobile on me and having my laptop at hand and then there is the TV! I'm used to there being noise of some description in my life, either at work or at home so a month of silence will be different but I'm looking forward to it. Something I hadn't mentioned above was that for some years I had been a Benedictine, leaving when I was a Junior, so I have some understanding of the way of life but I'm older now and used to doing things how and when I want. Doing this will help me to know for certain whether I am called to this life.

I remembered what you'd said and thought of you when I read this blogpost http://www.ibenedictines.org/2015/07/27/silence-in-the-midst-of-digital-noise/

Dame Catherine belongs to a small, new monastery in Hereford, England - though she has been a Benedictine for many years, in a larger monastery. She's very tech savvy and works at developing apps and websites and things like that - very 21st century!

I remembered what you'd said and thought of you when I read this blogpost http://www.ibenedictines.org/2015/07/27/silence-in-the-midst-of-digital-noise/

Dame Catherine belongs to a small, new monastery in Hereford, England - though she has been a Benedictine for many years, in a larger monastery. She's very tech savvy and works at developing apps and websites and things like that - very 21st century!

I have just read the link, what she said is so true! I haven't really rationed myself from social media so the "test" is soon to begin :pray:. I am still looking forward to having the opportunity to spend some real time with the community and develop a more disciplined prayer life. Once I left my previous community I lost the discipline I had, watching TV till all hours and doing what I wanted when I wanted. This had its appeal for a while, but I feel the desire for leading a more meaningful life. 

Please say a prayer for me as in my last week before going I have been put on nights which I haven't done in 25 years (and never in this job)!! I'm still zonked after doing two nights:sleep2:two days off then three more, hopefully I be awake when I get there!!

Spem in alium

God bless you. You are taking a courageous step. I will pray as you prepare before leaving, seeking especially the intercession of St Joseph. May you experience God's peace, and openness of mind and heart. 

Edited by Spem in alium

God bless you. You are taking a courageous step. I will pray as you prepare before leaving, seeking especially the intercession of St Joseph. May you experience God's peace, and openness of mind and heart. 

Thank you :)

Well at least there are only three more of those night shifts. Typical to do that right before you leave. Should make for an interesting adjustment when you get to the monastery! Occasionally I've had the good luck to be so exhausted or jacked up on nerves before going for a stay that my system sort of 'shocked' into the daily routine overnight. It's a bit surreal for a while but it doesn't last :hehe:

Well at least there are only three more of those night shifts. Typical to do that right before you leave. Should make for an interesting adjustment when you get to the monastery! Occasionally I've had the good luck to be so exhausted or jacked up on nerves before going for a stay that my system sort of 'shocked' into the daily routine overnight. It's a bit surreal for a while but it doesn't last :hehe:

I know what you mean, I felt really "spacey" at the end of the shifts I have done so far, getting up at 05:20 next week sounds like heaven!! I hope that I have the same experience as you :).

How are things going for you?