An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Hymnal Study: Pre- and Post-VII Hymns

Gabriela

Some of you may remember that, back in January, I said I was conducting a study on Catholic hymns pre- and post-VII. The results of that are in and have been published in very, very short form in the Homiletic & Pastoral Review. I'm not happy with the editing job on this article and I've asked them to correct it, but it's my first publication in the HPR so I don't know if they'll make changes. At any rate, here's what there is right now: http://www.hprweb.com/2015/07/whats-changed/#comment-193106

Happy to discuss with anyone who has questions/insights/comments.

veritasluxmea

this whole time I thought you were an older teenager like me T-T 

Cool article, yey on getting it published! What exactly didn't you like about their editing job if it's ok to ask, the format or did they change your phrasing or meaning? 

Edited by veritasluxmea

I remember you mentioning this, Gabriela, and I was intrigued. I wish the article was a bit longer, but it was very interesting!

I remember you mentioning this, Gabriela, and I was intrigued. I wish the article was a bit longer, but it was very interesting!

If you PM me your email I can send you the complete academic version once it's all cleaned up for a journal.

this whole time I thought you were an older teenager like me T-T 

Cool article, yey on getting it published! What exactly didn't you like about their editing job if it's ok to ask, the format or did they change your phrasing or meaning? 

No. I'm 35. :)

They used a previous draft rather than the final one I sent them, so there are some changes of phrasing. They also changed the way I presented the results, so they look more dramatic than they are. They took out all the tables and charts, which I can understand, because it's HPR. But they also did a very shoddy job of proofreading after they cut all that other stuff. There are spacing and formatting and paragraph break errors all over the place. I really hope they fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
CountrySteve21

Wonderful article.  We need to make the hymns we use less about ourselves definitely.  Maybe we should just forgo hymns at Mass all together and just use the propers :)

Though I would like to keep the Liber Hymnarius of course! 

Edited by CountrySteve21

puellapaschalis

Wonderful article.  We need to make the hymns we use less about ourselves definitely.  Maybe we should just forgo hymns at Mass all together and just use the propers :)

Though I would like to keep the Liber Hymnarius of course! 

Propers and no hymns at Mass, and then Vespers every (Sun)day with the proper hymn :)

Nihil Obstat

Propers and no hymns at Mass, and then Vespers every (Sun)day with the proper hymn :)

Hymns work fine as a processional and recessional for High Mass. Even during Communion if it is a particularly large congregation. As long as they never replace the Propers.

MarysLittleFlower

I'd like to see the old chants brought back... Not only hymns. For example in our choir we sang a beautiful polyphony called Jesu Rex Admirabilis... So sublime. Palestrina is generally my favourite. There are some wonderful hymns like Come Down O Love Divine. :) 

puellapaschalis

Hymns work fine as a processional and recessional for High Mass. Even during Communion if it is a particularly large congregation. As long as they never replace the Propers.

You filthy l*beral you.

Personally I prefer silence at Communion, or chant without instrument at most. But you don't get that many places...

I agree, though, that a hymn for the processional and recessional is perfectly appropriate.

Nihil Obstat

I like silence or polyphony for Communion :)

If you like polyphony there is a solid chance you are hearing hymns rather than the Propers. ;) Often, anyway. Learning Propers in polyphony settings takes an enormous amount of effort. Even the Ordinary is difficult enough.

Edited by Nihil Obstat