An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Hymnal Study: Pre- and Post-VII Hymns

Gabriela

MarysLittleFlower

If you like polyphony there is a solid chance you are hearing hymns rather than the Propers. ;) Often, anyway. Learning Propers in polyphony settings takes an enormous amount of effort. Even the Ordinary is difficult enough.

our church choir does the Proper and then the polyphony :) 

Nihil Obstat

our church choir does the Proper and then the polyphony :) 

Perfect! Just like I said. ^_^

We do that too. Mostly the men do the Propers, then everyone does the Ordinary and the hymns, which often include polyphony.

MarysLittleFlower

Same here :) the men sing the propers and the general choir sings everything else. 

What type of parish do you attend - diocesan or something like FSSP?

I'm guessing its EF based on the fact that they have Communion Propers? I'm not sure if OF Masses do that ever. I've only heard hymns. Are propers not done in the OF?

Nihil Obstat

Same here :) the men sing the propers and the general choir sings everything else. 

I'm guessing its EF based on the fact that they have Communion Propers? I'm not sure if OF Masses do that ever. I've only heard hymns. Are propers not done in the OF?

Propers can be chanted in the Novus Ordo. They never are. I go to a Fraternity Mass. It is a parish shared with the diocese though.

Nihil Obstat

I didn't know that! I go to FSSP also

I started attending more or less exclusively around 2010. As soon as I had regular access to a vehicle. These days I go to the Novus Ordo maybe five or six times a year, if that.

puellapaschalis

Propers can be chanted in the Novus Ordo. They never are. I go to a Fraternity Mass. It is a parish shared with the diocese though.

I can think of at least five parishes (where I've been present) on two continents that do, and that's before at least one religious congregation.

The parishes around here all recently started saying the Communion propers. The priest says them before distributing. They're not chanted, though.

Oh, and they're all NO.

I started attending more or less exclusively around 2010. As soon as I had regular access to a vehicle. These days I go to the Novus Ordo maybe five or six times a year, if that.

:sad:

Why not me, Lord?! Why not me?!

Edited by Gabriela

Move to Calgary, Gabriela. You will love our group of young people too. ;)

Right. I'll just find me a job there tomorrow and come right up.

(It would be nice to not have to lock my doors. ;) )

Nihil Obstat

Right. I'll just find me a job there tomorrow and come right up.

(It would be nice to not have to lock my doors. ;) )

Eh. Do still lock the doors. Calgary is a big city with its share of crime. More jobs than Murica though. ;) Ask @truthfinder how great it is here.

Eh. Do still lock the doors. Calgary is a big city with its share of crime. More jobs than Murica though. ;) Ask @truthfinder how great it is here.

Do they hire laypeople to teach preaching in seminaries up there? Cuz they fired 'em all down here.

AveMariaPurissima

I looked at the article quickly and I'm finding it quite fascinating -- I look forward to reading it more in depth at some point. :)

Oh, and at my predominantly NO parish, we usually have a cantor chant the Communion antiphon (including the verses!), then the organist plays an instrumental while the congregation receives Communion.  Sometimes the choir will sing a hymn, or we'll do a congregational hymn toward the end of Communion (once nearly everyone has received.)

Nihil Obstat

Do they hire laypeople to teach preaching in seminaries up there? Cuz they fired 'em all down here.

No idea, actually. I know more about the Fraternity seminary than I do about the more local one. @CatherineM might know though.

truthfinder

Oh it's a lovely place :) I don't think there's a seminary at all in Calgary, just the one in Edmonton, which Nihil has rightly said to consult CatherineM.  There is, however, a Catholic university that does hire lay people.

Oh, and the door-locking thing is a myth. I wouldn't in a thousand years leave my door unlocked; I've even returned home to check them.  I'm sure I could leave my doors unlocked, but why chance it.  (Unless of course you find yourself in Churchill, where people are supposed to keep their car doors unlocked in case they need to quickly hide from polar bears).

Edited by truthfinder