An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Profession of Faith = Full Communion?

AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

I'm working on getting our parish's sacrament records up-to-date, and I just want make sure I'm understanding some terms correctly::

Specifically, for those who become Catholic through RCIA at the Easter Vigil: if a person who was baptized as a Protestant makes their "Profession of Faith," does that mean the same thing as coming into "Full Communion" with the Catholic Church?

I hope that makes sense!  Thank you! :)

I'm working on getting our parish's sacrament records up-to-date, and I just want make sure I'm understanding some terms correctly::

Specifically, for those who become Catholic through RCIA at the Easter Vigil: if a person who was baptized as a Protestant makes their "Profession of Faith," does that mean the same thing as coming into "Full Communion" with the Catholic Church?

I hope that makes sense!  Thank you! :)

Yes. I have several friends who've come into the Church by making a profession of faith. Technically, they don't need to go through RCIA, because they are already Christian, by virtue of their baptism. Prior to Vatican II (at least this is my understanding) a Protestant would make this profession of faith, and thus become a full member of the Church (I know some who have made this profession when becoming Catholic). 

In fact, Lumen Gentium's definition of a member of the Church is this: 

They are fully incorporated in the society of the Church who, possessing the Spirit of Christ accept her entire system and all the means of salvation given to her, and are united with her as part of her visible bodily structure and through her with Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. The bonds which bind men to the Church in a visible way are profession of faith, the sacraments, and ecclesiastical government and communion.